• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clutch lever play adjustment

Aussie

Street Cruiser
Guys, I did a google search and searched the forum ... But maybe my search terms aren't good enough ...

For my 2012, C14 ...

I feel that my clutch doesn't engage until near the full travel of the clutch lever when releasing the clutch. I have tried to adjust the lever from positions 1 through 5 with little detectable difference.

I have checked the manual ... I see see no capability to adjust anything on the clutch without getting inside the clutch itself.

Am I imagining a problem (i.e., the clutch is actually working fine)?
Is there a clutch adjustment that I am missing?

Any help appreciated.

Not sure but don't think that the adjustment you are looking for is available with hydraulic clutch system??  The 5 notches are to change the distance you want for the grip on the lever, does not change the engagement of the clutch.  If I am wrong, sure others will give you more positive advise. 

Hmmm ... maybe that's what I am missing; hydraulic system. So I guess that brings me back to ... "it's all in my imagination"?  :-[

My problem is that I am practicing slow speed turns and I would like to be able to feather the clutch more (in my opinion) .... but the system is working.

Yours is working fine.  When you should worry is early engagement when you first start to release.  That usually means air that needs bled.  It's a narrow engagement zone you just have to get used to.

Edit;  For your slow speed turns lightly drag your rear brake against the clutch friction zone for a bunch more control. Oh wait...you've got linked brakes...but I think I read somewhere that the linked system will allow this under light application.  Someone jump in here and confirm or correct me.

Are the brakes linked on the '09 C14?  I use only the front brake most of the time, seems if I use the rear I really have to stand on it.

OK then ... Thanks for everyone's input ... I'll relax and use the bike as designed ;D

The 2012 model does have linked brakes, but my understanding is that they do not link at low speeds.

As for the low speed turns, I am dragging the rear brake ...I was looking for more range on the clutch engagement ... But it appears that I am not going to find it ...  :great:

On my 08 I had a case of a moving engagement point. I changed the fluid in the master, bled the master and bled the line and slave. Didn't help. I went back to the master and held the vacuum pump hose at the bottom of the master at the piston and return holes and pumped the clutch lever. Engagement returned to normal which is about 3/4 out on the lever travel. I suspect just enough crud in the feed/return to screw things up.

Aussie said:
OK then ... Thanks for everyone's input ... I'll relax and use the bike as designed ;D

The 2012 model does have linked brakes, but my understanding is that they do not link at low speeds.

As for the low speed turns, I am dragging the rear brake ...I was looking for more range on the clutch engagement ... But it appears that I am not going to find it ...  :great:

above ~12MPH  linking becomes engaged. 

Zippy_13 said:
Aussie said:

above ~12MPH  linking becomes engaged.
:beerchug:

Aussie said:

Not really responding to your query, but have found in every M/C I've owned
that the clutch works/feels best when shifting  >4000 rpm.

Aussie,
If you don't have anything wrong with your bike the clutch should be disengaging almost immediately after applying pressure to the clutch lever. I have a '12 as well. My clutch is completely disengaged within the first 3/4 to 1 inch of lever pull. This is how it is supposed to be.
Matt

Linking kicks in at 12MPH

This thread would benefit greatly if a C14 MotorOfficer chimed in. Friggin experts(not their dime!) at clutch feathering and the Connie set-up is way sportier than the avg cop bike.

Aussie - way to go man. Bike is fine. You are reaching her limits at the slow end. That's friggin smart.

http://youtu.be/oFWelHXueQE

This guy on the forum??

All, thanks for the comments. I changed out the clutch fluid ... And I'll use the bike as is ...  ;D

Fais ... I told you not to post that video of me riding the cones ... But I look pretty good ... No?  :beerchug:

Yours is working fine. When you should worry is early engagement when you first start to release. That usually means air that needs bled. It's a narrow engagement zone you just have to get used to.

Edit; For your slow speed turns lightly drag your rear brake against the clutch friction zone for a bunch more control. Oh wait...you've got linked brakes...but I think I read somewhere that the linked system will allow this under light application. Someone jump in here and confirm or correct me.
slow speed skills is the only way to go. just my opinion