• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COIL QUESTION

Are the coils that are on the ZG1000 both the same. I have seen that sometimes they call them left side Coil A #'s 1-4 & Right side Coil B #'s 2-3. It is even stamped on the wires. These must be right or it will not fire properly. But is their any difference in the coils could you mix them up as long as the numbers fired correctly.

Thanks Dean

Wires can be swapped around, simply by unscrewing the "nut" where the wire enters the coil, pulling the wire it out, then placing it in the coil you're wanting to change it by reversing the process.

A smart move would be to clip a minimal end off the end of the wire (to ensure a good clean connection) before you engage the pin point contact in the coil and screw the "nut" home.

Wires can be swapped around, simply by unscrewing the "nut" where the wire enters the coil, pulling the wire it out, then placing it in the coil you're wanting to change it by reversing the process.

A smart move would be to clip a minimal end off the end of the wire (to ensure a good clean connection) before you engage the pin point contact in the coil and screw the "nut" home.
If you're going that far, you might consider just replacing the wires with new supple ones that are much easier to handle and manipulate into position. Believe Murph sells them.

I took my coils & wires off my 2000 ZG1000. On the coil side that unscrews the small round part that holds the wire tight was no good at all. It was brittle and rotted and I could not get it off without it breaking it apart. I took some Permatex Ultra Black high heat and dabbed some on the coil threads after I had the 7mm Accel wire pushed into the coil. I threaded the cap down holding the coil 7mm wire tight and left it overnight to cure and you could not pull the wire out the next day no matter how hard you tried. I unscrewed the cap and was surprised to see it had made a perfect round cap to hold the wire in place just like the original one. This worked great and looked good. I hooked them up and the bike cranked rt up & ran perfect. I went about 15 miles and all was well.

Dean

Last edited:
First time I pulled the tank on C-10 #4, I was shocked not to see any coils attached to the backbone of the frame. It appears that a prior owner switched the C-10 coils for a system like that on the C-14.

Stic Coils By T CRO I believe. I would love to do that mod but I have no ideal how. He did a lot of them for a few years. I believe BUD has a set on his C-10.

Dean

Img_4967-L.jpg

Really pretty easy to do once you’ve collected the connectors, and the coils. eBay is your friend for this.

Most of the coils that will work (typically Denso) have a primary coil resistance that is ½ that of the OEM coil’s primaries, so connecting them singularly to the igniter will overload it and eventually take out the internal Darlington drivers. To get around that, you simply connect two of the stick coils in series: 1 & 4 in one series string, and 2 & 3 in the other series string. The 1 & 4 coils string connects to the bike’s black original coil connection wire, and the 2 & 3 string connects to the bike’s green original coil connection wire. Both strings end connection goes to the to the bike’s red original coil connection wire. There are two of these, so each end connection can be joined in the harness you make up.

Hope this helps.

denso1-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bud
I advise you to disassemble the antiparasites to clean them and change the wires regularly

Really pretty easy to do once you’ve collected the connectors, and the coils. eBay is your friend for this.

Most of the coils that will work (typically Denso) have a primary coil resistance that is ½ that of the OEM coil’s primaries, so connecting them singularly to the igniter will overload it and eventually take out the internal Darlington drivers. To get around that, you simply connect two of the stick coils in series: 1 & 4 in one series string, and 2 & 3 in the other series string. The 1 & 4 coils string connects to the bike’s black original coil connection wire, and the 2 & 3 string connects to the bike’s green original coil connection wire. Both strings end connection goes to the to the bike’s red original coil connection wire. There are two of these, so each end connection can be joined in the harness you make up.

Hope this helps.

denso1-L.jpg
My understanding is they would have to be wired in series to the igniter in all cases, since the OEM setup has each coil fire 2 cylinders in a wasted spark system.

I am just curious here, in case there's additional issues I am not thinking about.

My understanding is they would have to be wired in series to the igniter in all cases, since the OEM setup has each coil fire 2 cylinders in a wasted spark system.

I am just curious here, in case there's additional issues I am not thinking about.

You could connect two stick coils in parallel, say 1 & 4, and connect them to one of the igniter's output so those two cylinder's plugs would fire at the same time (ditto that for 2 & 3), but that would seriously overload the igniter and it would probably take a dump right off the bat. Hooking two of the stick coils in series takes care of both of those issues.

OK that makes sense, that's what I was missing.

I didn't see at first how you could wire them other than in series and still have them work.

lots & lots of good info here. Did T-Cro send a instruction sheet when he sent his Coil Mod to everyone. This info would go a long way in trying to put this together. If someone could Please step up and see if you can find this info and put it on here to help others who want to do this mod. Also Would anyone who has this mod be willing to put these Harnesses together with the instruction sheet to help others do this mod. I would Pay $325.00 or whatever is needed to get one of these. I did shoot T-CRO a e-mail and he was very nice and was out of that business at the present time.

I'am going to get 4 of the Denso Coils above 129700-4510. Thanks Guy for that info very nice of you to share all that.
Doing Electrical, I'am Lost, I told my Wife when we got married I was not a Electrician or a Plummer. Worked out good so far.

Thanks Dean

Last edited:
I have stick coils on my 05. They were done by the PO. I have not looked at them sense I did a valve adjustment.

lots & lots of good info here. Did T-Cro send a instruction sheet when he sent his Coil Mod to everyone. This info would go a long way in trying to put this together. If someone could Please step up and see if you can find this info and put it on here to help others who want to do this mod. Also Would anyone who has this mod be willing to put these Harnesses together with the instruction sheet to help others do this mod. I would Pay $325.00 or whatever is needed to get one of these. I did shoot T-CRO a e-mail and he was very nice and was out of that business at the present time.

I'am going to get 4 of the Denso Coils above 129700-4510. Thanks Gary for that info very nice of you to share all that.
Doing Electrical, I'am Lost, I told my Wife when we got married I was not a Electrician or a Plummer. Worked out good so far.

Thanks Dean
Dean, this is for you & anyone else that this may help....

I have a never installed T-cro coil kit (stick coils, Tony's harness, and instructions). Sorry, not for sale at this point - I'll probably install them eventually - BUT here are pics of his instructions & harness for whatever help you can maybe glean from that....

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_172000817.jpg
    IMG_20230704_172000817.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20230704_172014692.jpg
    IMG_20230704_172014692.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Keep in mid the C10 has a 'minimal' electrical system.
I read in the early posts by SISF that he had problems after install the COP (coil over plugs.
His upgrade and solution was the 'free power mod' adding an extra ground wire.
As the bike ages some of the connections may deteriorate such as the grounds.
my C12 the ZGRX 1200 had ignition starting problems resulting in progressive hard starting until it would not.
My C12 was trailered home where it sat for 15 months.
Then reading the free power mod complete from first post and SISF issue after adding the cop ignition a bell went off for me.
I did the ground wire addition and the bike started fine.