• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Colorado Western Slope Ride Labor Day Weekend

CRocker

To meet up with those returning home from the National who want to ride the Million Dollar Highway and other magnificent roads in our state...

Looks like our AD...Old Man On a Connie...and his entourage...will be in Grand Junction around mid-day on Aug 31...and, we could finish the day riding down to Durango...maybe have breakfast Sunday morning and depart on our varied routes towards home...I'm assuming OMOaC would head SW...

I would be headed E over Wolf Creek Pass...maybe up through Creede and Lake City to Gunnison(maybe spend the night)...Monarch Pass...and back to the Denver area on Monday...

Nothing is set in stone at this point...looking for input...

Bradman - I will be out of town that weekend (not on the bike  ???) but y'all have a great ride!
Nga and I are riding the same area one month later (leaf viewing tour).

Hi Folks,
Yeah that sounds good. I`m planning on touring SW Colorado leaving Idaho Falls Aug 30. Working on a route that will get me back up to Bonneville for a day watching the fun on the salt Sept 8 or so. Probably loop around most of the western slope recommended routes from Gunnison down to Shiprock including Mesa Verde, Monument, Goose Necks, Mokey Dugway plus UT 12, 24 and Burr Trail. NV 93 and maybe a night in the Rubys.
This is my first COG national so if you see me please introduce yourselves.
Cheers :great:

Welcome Rasmith, gottaride, and Wile!  Plenty of room for others, too!

Rasmith and gottaride...you guys will be leaving the National at roughly the same time as Old Man on a Connie...maybe you should all hook up as a Concours Crusade...?

Wile...we can see if anybody else wants to join in...and, then work out logistics for the ride over...

Woo hoo!  Let's do some riding!  :motonoises:

I'll put together a PM list and we can start planning. Find the SW banner at the Nat and I should be close by. Also at the riders brief/debrief and rally map. Looking forward to a great ride through some great roads.  :) :beerchug: Thanks Brad for hosting! :great:

Rasmith said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
What Ya'll think about this? Options for day 1 is Vernal UT for overnight or a piece of slab to shorten. Lotsa time on day 2 for flower sniffin and dilly dallying.
http://goo.gl/maps/YuC0i

or?
http://goo.gl/maps/xDnnH
I'm OK with that one to. Where you wanna overnight? We did Cortez to Vernal heading north last time and didn't spend enough time enjoying the 550. Got into Vernal very late. Vernal to ID falls was a nice ride (again heading north. West side of Bear lake). Kenmerer Has the JC Penney museum where the store was founded (whoda thunkit). Bradman, where is this UT route you speak of?

Rasmith said:
What Ya'll think about this? Options for day 1 is Vernal UT for overnight or a piece of slab to shorten. Lotsa time on day 2 for flower sniffin and dilly dallying.
http://goo.gl/maps/YuC0i

or?
http://goo.gl/maps/xDnnH
I'm OK with that one to. Where you wanna overnight? We did Cortez to Vernal heading north last time and didn't spend enough time enjoying the 550. Got into Vernal very late. Vernal to ID falls was a nice ride (again heading north. West side of Bear lake). Kenmerer Has the JC Penney museum where the store was founded (whoda thunkit). Bradman, where is this UT route you speak of?

I was thinking Vernal. That way we're a few hours from Grand Junction

OMoaC,

UT35 runs from just N of Duchesne (40mi W of Vernal) to Francis...Wolf Creek Pass...and the towns of Hanna and Tabiona...

It's where MikeB ran into snow earlier in the season...

So, you want to do Vernal to Cortez in a day...again?

We're good with Cortez...rooms are more plentiful...

CRocker said:
OMoaC,

UT35 runs from just N of Duchesne (40mi W of Vernal) to Francis...Wolf Creek Pass...and the towns of Hanna and Tabiona...

I now know where that sneeky LEO is parked! And we'll be going the other way. And I'll let Rasmith lead.  ;) Durango is good too. Need to see what the lodging rates are. Know any lodging between Vernal and Grand Junction? I'll look at that Wolf Creek route.

CRocker said:
OMoaC,

I now know where that sneeky LEO is parked! And we'll be going the other way. And I'll let Rasmith lead.  ;) Durango is good too. Need to see what the lodging rates are. Know any lodging between Vernal and Grand Junction? I'll look at that Wolf Creek route.

I guess the question is, which way are you intending on taking 550? South from Montrose to Durango or Are you thinking Grand Junction to 141/145 through Cortez, Durango them 550 north? If it's the former, then Durango would be the logical stopping point I would think. That would be 6 hours in the seat from Vernal barring any weather or traffic. You could shave about an hour off by Stopping in Rangely instead of Vernal but the hotel selection is lots smaller.
I'll ignore the lead offer.. :)

GJ to Delta, Montrose south to Durango. Have to look at that Fruita option too.

Got ya..Making Fruita stop #1 would mean a lot of superslabbing to keep it under 8 hours of seat time.

Fruita option makes for a really long day from Idaho Falls...close to 500 miles...if that's what you're thinking...

Yeah. I show just over 5. Wish there was somewhere between the 2. Would really like to spend more time on the million dollar. Is it worth it to gut out a 10 hr day to spend an easy 250 mile day on the hwy? I show Vernal to Cortez at 398. The falls to Vernal about 380. Decision time. I'm good either way. What say you?

Holy  :-\ Brad man  was right. Rooms in Durango going for around 200 bucks a night. Cortez for a decent place (best western) just over 100 bucks. Euro invasion? Leaf Peepers?
Vernal looks between 80 and 100.

Holy  :-\ Brad man  was right. Rooms in Durango going for around 200 bucks a night. Cortez for a decent place (best western) just over 100 bucks. Euro invasion? Leaf Peepers?

Holiday Weekend

Im booked at the Holiday Inn in Vernal. 2 Beds so I can split with someone..There is also a Super 8 and Westin within a block or 2. I can split in Durango or Cortez as well.

Edit:
I was already booked for Vernal before this thread was started. No issues if I need to cancel it

Wow..You werent kidding about the price difference! There's an econlodge with a great rating as well, Baymont and Budget Inn right accross the street from Dennys and the Best Western 1 mile away..And Of course, a Holiday Inn next door to Dennys that I will split a room on..PLug.. :)

I'm all in.
My plan, allthough Brad says is a bad plan, is to follow Brad. :-\
So whatever Brad decides is good with me. :beerchug:

I'm thinking we might go over Independence Pass...have lunch in Carbondale or Glenwood Springs...and, then make a trip across the Grand Mesa to get to Fruita at a decent hour...maybe even in time to have beverages cold should anyone else arrive... :beerchug:

CRocker said:
I'm thinking we might go over Independence Pass...have lunch in Carbondale or Glenwood Springs...and, then make a trip across the Grand Mesa to get to Fruita at a decent hour...maybe even in time to have beverages cold should anyone else arrive... :beerchug:
So we meet up with you in Fruita Sat Morn if we stay in Vernal?

I'll be in Gunnison from Aug 29-Sept 7 with a couple of friends

Staying at The Alpine Inn on the western side of town.

ARATA said:

Perfect!  We should be there Sunday afternoon...

I'll be headed back to Arkansas thru Colorado with no set route or plan of any sort for that matter. So I may join in & add 1 more bike to this ride if I can.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
I'll be headed back to Arkansas thru Colorado with no set route or plan of any sort for that matter. So I may join in & add 1 more bike to this ride if I can.

As Mike B said, come join the merry band. Bradman is an awesome guide.

Just Cliff said:

I'll be heading back to KC. We'll have to see how the route plays out. May be with you on part of way outside of CO

Hi Guys,
Been checking out your recommended Google routes since I`m still waiting for my "Guide to Colorado Roads" to arrive. Following the plan as it develops on this thread is giving me a couple of options I hadn't previously considered. Independence and Wolf passes for example. I keep coming up with a plan involving three differing loops. Long story short Idaho Falls to Vernal suits me time, distance ect. Vernal to Cortez seems a bit of a waste in terms of missing so much in favor of keeping the blinkers on and focusing on getting there. I`m trying to ween myself off this approach to sport touring. I find at the end of a 500mi or longer day while sipping beer my mind is a blurr of the day's ride. 300 to 400ish suits my better and I have more in the tank the next day. This of course refers to riding as much as possible secondaries. UT 50 vs 141 Whitewater to Ridgway...I could really use some comparisons pros and cons.
CR your initial google maps from IF to Flaming Gorge mirrors my prefered route. Here's the hitch though...I like to camp when touring. I could see either spliting a room in Vernal or just meeting up in the morning and a pre-agreed location and time.
My computer skills being what they are I will attempt my first ever Google route description and try to post it.
I getting pretty stoked and am considering avoiding the likely blast furnace effect of NV 93 for the return leg of my route up to Bonneville in favour of staying in the mountains. Sure hope to be able to ride with you guys.

Lotsa Camping available John and were all pretty flexible I think. Last trip through we had a gent that camped every night and met up in the morn so should be no problem. We can always split up and rejoin somewhere. I'd bet Mike B has some great routes through from Cortez to Bonneville through UT. We'll see how it plays out. Half the fun yeah? Looking forward to it.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

Gottaride,

My wife and I have not been over the entire 141 route to Cortez...but, have been on 550 many times...so, we are thinking about peeling off on 141 and just meeting everyone in Cortez...

No one is obligated to go with us...but, all will be welcome...

Still just an accumulation of random thoughts...nothing set in stone yet...

Cortez, CO to Bonneville, UT - Glen Canyon, Capitol Reef and HW89
Glen Canyon and Capitol Reef are stunning.

http://goo.gl/maps/ftsbg

There are other options.  You could come through Moab and up HW6 for a more direct route, although there isn't nearly the scenery and HW6 has been known for some fairly wicked accidents.  Not the safest of roads for some reason.  It could be because it's fairly long and straight'ish' and I think folks become inattentive.

CRocker said:
Gottaride,

My wife and I have not been over the entire 141 route to Cortez...but, have been on 550 many times...so, we are thinking about peeling off on 141 and just meeting everyone in Cortez...

No one is obligated to go with us...but, all will be welcome...

Still just an accumulation of random thoughts...nothing set in stone yet...

I was looking at the 141 route out of Whitewater and running through Gateway, hooking up on 145 to 160 into Cortez. I know its a little longer but I would hate to pass up 141, it looks like such a cool route even though its going to be hotter than a bisquit. But just for a little while until we get up on the slope a little.

"hotter than a biscuit" good one. Then again your likely right. Guess we`ll figure it out over beers, eh? I`m hanging a left at Durango so as to ride Mt.Evans before it closes day after labour day. Pikes vs Evans ...why choose ride em both. Heck the more research I dredge up the more I`m inclined to ride as much of CO as possible within my time frame and forget about Bonneville for this year. So many roads...
Well I`ll just toss this one out there if anyone has a CO tour that includes pretty much everything worthwhile fire me a link wouldya?Been reading several trip reports and frankly between that and the rally I`m fully jonesin'
Thanks so much folks for kindly letting me join in on our journey south from IF. So looking forward.

gottaride said:
"hotter than a biscuit" good one. Then again your likely right. Guess we`ll figure it out over beers, eh? I`m hanging a left at Durango so as to ride Mt.Evans before it closes day after labour day. Pikes vs Evans ...why choose ride em both. Heck the more research I dredge up the more I`m inclined to ride as much of CO as possible within my time frame and forget about Bonneville for this year. So many roads...
Well I`ll just toss this one out there if anyone has a CO tour that includes pretty much everything worthwhile fire me a link wouldya?Been reading several trip reports and frankly between that and the rally I`m fully jonesin'
Thanks so much folks for kindly letting me join in on our journey south from IF. So looking forward.

Im in for the Co ride..
Been up Pikes Peak on 4 wheels..Im In for 2!..Im pretty much locked on the route down to Vernal then down to Cortex (would like via whitewater (141) TO 145 THEN DOWN T CROTEZ). Freom there its up 550 then pot luck from there.

ARATA said:

Just a head's up...

The Kawasaki dealer across the highway from your motel is dropping Kawi...so, the closest Kawi dealer will be 60 miles away in Montrose...

A run down to Durango sound good to me. After the rally I had planned on milling about smartly in and around Colorado, riding up Pikes Peak before heading to the peoples republic of California, and I can do Durango and then Pikes Peak. Although I may be one of those guys that needs to camp out, but it is what it is. See you at the Rally

CRocker said:
ARATA said:

Just a head's up...

The Kawasaki dealer across the highway from your motel is dropping Kawi...so, the closest Kawi dealer will be 60 miles away in Montrose...

I've bought a front tire there a few years ago. I had one of those "that tire will make the trip!" moments.

Decent price and service.  Guys inside said most of their business was dirt and ATV.

You got a herd of cats Bradman. See what ya started, Look for the SW banner at the nat. I'll be close by. There's a reason we call him Brad Man! :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

Not to get off topic but have you checked out "Herding Cats" ad on YouTube... My all time fave but it helps if you're horsey. Cheers fellas we'll figger it all out. On the road in thirteen days yeah.

I good be in for Pikes Peak. I've ridden 141 - 145 along with most of the S/W corner, but never Pikes Peak. All very good roads & will gladly ride them again. Look's as though I may be out a few more days than planned. Dam the luck!
Will you guys be doing any camping or all motel? Looking forward to meeting ya'll in Idaho.

Strictly Hotels on this ride. Packing as light as I possible can. I know I'm missing out on the fun around the campfire but..Next Run will be different when I have more time to prepare. Work's running me ragged. Out of a 30 day month, my car is at the airport parking garage 20 of them. Most my time at home's spent on Honey Do's...I know, stop whining Rick :'(

I'll be thinking of ya though when youre breaking camp and Im on my 3rd cup

Ha. The duffle's usually getting tied on just about the time my third cup is down the hatch but I pickin' up what you're puttin' down. Still hoping we can do a bit of riding together.

I'm in with ya. Vernal Fri and Cortez Sat. Booking rooms this weekend.

That's 3 so far on that route. G-Mazz will be joining me for the trip there and back as well. Any interest in the Car Museum in Gateway?

Rasmith said:

That's 3 so far on that route. G-Mazz will be joining me for the trip there and back as well. Any interest in the Car Museum in Gateway?

Tomahawk Lodge in Cortez has a really cool old school neon sign.
Clean basic room that's affordable.

ARATA said:
Rasmith said:

Tomahawk Lodge in Cortez has a really cool old school neon sign.
Clean basic room that's affordable.

Staying at the Holiday Inn. Denny's next door on east, Koko's Pub next door on West. Other hotels on same block. If staying at other hotels, Dennys is good meet up in morning either way.

Well I guess I'm out after all. :mad:
I just got confirmation I am going to N.Y. City to set up a fashion show for fashion week. :'(
So while all of you are enjoying the Western slopes of Colorado I will be teaching models to walk on conveyors. :-\

Hope you guys have a great ride I really wanted to go on this one. :beerchug:

wile_e_coyote said:
I just got confirmation I am going to N.Y. City to set up a fashion show for fashion week. :'(
So while all of you are enjoying the Western slopes of Colorado I will be teaching models to walk on conveyors. :-\

That's just crazy talk... :rotflmao:  I would volunteer to go with you if I could control the on-off switch... :nananana:

Seriously, though, we're gonna miss ya on this one!

CRocker said:
wile_e_coyote said:

That's just crazy talk... :rotflmao:  I would volunteer to go with you if I could control the on-off switch... :nananana:

Yea I'm building the switch right now. :great:

This is how it works here I have one week to get the controls done shipped out there then go set it up. And be there to control the switch during the show. :mad:

wile_e_coyote said:
CRocker said:
wile_e_coyote said:

This is how it works here I have one week to get the controls done shipped out there then go set it up. And be there to control the switch during the show. :mad:

Of course you realize that we will need photo proof? Preferably low angle. ;)

Starting packing the bike and got to my map drawer to see what I had and found a GEM. "The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado" by Steve Farson..how the heck did I forget about this?? I'll bring it along to cuss and discuss over a couple cool ones.

I`ve been jonesin' for a copy of that since deciding only two week ago to ride CO post rally. Nobody local has it. Been using the Nat Geo US Byways book and the Guide to Motorcycling the US SW. Don't let your copy out of your sight if I`m around :great: >:D
Leaving tomorrow yeah baby

Just sent you some maps. We can dig into the book because it has some awsome spurs off the planned route that wont take too much time to hit

Rasmith said:
BertL said:
Reta & I are in assuming everything goes according to Hoyle.

Bert
+1

Whats the plan Stan?
Afraid Murphy's law is at work again.  Our 88 year old has medical issues so we can't make the Nations.  Just doing a short ride out to Mike Corbin's place to pick up a new saddle then it's back to the barn.

Bert

For those who are planning on coming to Colorado and riding up Pikes Peak after the National...be advised...I just saw on local news that the road up the Peak could be closed Sept 4,5,6, and 10 for filming of the latest "Fast and Furious" movie... :-\

Flaming Gorge with Old Man on a Connie, Rasmith, Gottaride, Ping Jockey and G'Mazz running from Idaho Falls to Vernal Utah.

Attachments

• CIMG1386 - Copy.JPG
    CIMG1386 - Copy.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 98
Splintered off in Cortez yesterday morning. Took 550 up to Delta then 92 on the north rim of Black Canyon..Tough Day all in all. Lots of Go-Pro Vids and pictures. Will try to post tomorrow.

Today is an easy day. Gunnison to Rt9>102>Teller Cty 1 to Cripple Creek, loop around Victor to RT24 then Up Pikes Peak. Will Be meeting DonB. It will be a reunion with his C14 he sold to me. Over night in Colo Spgs then on home..What a trip

God was smiling on us when we left Cortez. Down through 4 corners and monument valley all the way to Kingman AZ low 70's. Made a lot of new Friends.

Attachments

• Cortez dinner.JPG
    Cortez dinner.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 103
wile_e_coyote said:
CRocker said:
wile_e_coyote said:

Of course you realize that we will need photo proof? Preferably low angle. ;)

Ok here's proof I was there. But as you can see from the logo (they are standing on it) it is a family store. Also they are pretty young.

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 95
Here are some videos of our ride after the Rally..OMOAC, Ping Jockey, G-Mazz, Gottaride, CRocker were on at least some of these rides. My Favorites, Douglas Pass and CO RT141.

G-Mazz and I Made it from Cortez to Montrose in under 3 hours..Not bad for Labor Day.
We did a nice lunch in Delta then ran RT 92 in Black Canyon..Was spent by the time we reached Gunnison..

Had a fantastic Journey and the company was most enjoyable..

Enjoy the Vids.
Douglas Pass
RT141 part 1
RT141 Part2
550 Descending into Ouray
550 Descending into Ouray 2
Descending Pikes Peak 1
Descending Pikes Peak2

Everything after this trip was straight and flat :'(