• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Coming apart at the seams!!!

pslshawn

Hi COGgers,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with tourmaster riding gear, specifically the tourmaster overpant....

Purchased this past Dec./Jan, have worn them maybe 10 times and the seams are coming apart in 3 different places.  I'm 6.1/180 soaking wet and the pants are 32/34....so it's not like I'm wearing them like sausage casing.

I know (most) tourmaster stuff is not the epitome of riding gear, but I certainly wouldn't expect this poor a garment from them.

Also, being in south FL, I don't store any of my riding gear (except for Connie  :'() in a non-climate controlled room, so it's not 'dry-rotting'.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0514.JPG
    DSC_0514.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 134
Hi Shawn. No, Tourmaster is not the top of the line, but I've been wearing my Air Venture mesh pants for six years now. They're starting to show some wear in the knee area where the inside of the legs rub the Tech Spec tank protectors and the outside surfaces of the mesh seem to be getting "soft" from exterior wear on the mesh, but no seam splits. Why don't you call Tourmaster and see if they'll either warranty the pants or give you some pro-rated credit toward new ones? I think you just got some seams that were maybe trimmed too close to the fabric edge or something. I've gloves do this and it's scary. If they are pulling apart under normal wear, what will happen in a spill?

Thanks guys.  I'm gonna see where I can get with the dealership first.  Pants were on clearance, but the GM and Sales Man. are craft beer buddies of mine, so I'm thinkin theyll exchange them and deal with tourmaster.  Could be wrong.  :eek:

Good luck with the dealer, isuggest some awesome hoppy IPA or BarleyWines as a lever...
As for the splits, fabrics like that should have all the edges melted/heat sealed, to prevent the main weave from pulling like that.
I've made many garments, and a few tents and sleeping bags in the past with different nylons, and every cut out piece requires melting the edges to prevent what you see there.. likely you'll have to go direct to the manufacturer...
Best of luck.

If all else fails take it to a shoe shop where they have a bigger sewing machine and get it restitched.

MAN OF BLUES said:
Good luck with the dealer, isuggest some awesome hoppy IPA or BarleyWines as a lever...
As for the splits, fabrics like that should have all the edges melted/heat sealed, to prevent the main weave from pulling like that.
I've made many garments, and a few tents and sleeping bags in the past with different nylons, and every cut out piece requires melting the edges to prevent what you see there.. likely you'll have to go direct to the manufacturer...
Best of luck.

Thanks MOB and Ron...that will most likely be the first (and last time) I go to tourmaster.  It's a backup pair, but it's certainly soured me on TM.

I think calling the manufacturer is a good move.

I had bought a pair of Olympia Dakar in June '15 to replace a pair that had been destroyed. My first long ride in April this year, on the way to Moonshine lunch the front vertical seam on both cargo pockets let go. I called Olympia just the other day. They offered to send me a check to have a local tailor repair them or send them back to their shop to be repaired. I told them I would rather send them back so they could figure out in the manufacturing process BOTH cargo pockets could have had the same failure on the same day on the same ride.  We'll see how they do with the follow through but I was happy with the response and offer to repair so far. Well worth 10 minutes on the phone

Shawn, I've had warranty issues with some boots that I bought from The Helmet Shop up in Daytona. The warranty claim was handled promptly with no drama. New boots to my door.

Clearance or not, warranty should be in effect regardless of you got. Most things are warranted one year or more,so I expect you're covered.
If not, give them a call.
I had some serious issues with my Tourmaster boots outside warranty, and they clearly had am issue, and the stood behind the product; I was impressed. Give them.a chance.
Hope it works out,

Jorge