• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

coming back to a connie

dumpabunch

Tricycle
I moved up from a 1999 Connie to a 2006 FJR 1300.  I am not a fan of the bike and am looking at moving back and up to a 2008 Connie.  It has 2200 miles on it and is at a fair price.  I am worried of the bugs that the initial offering had and ask you folks if it is worth going for.  It doesn't look crashed or laid over,  unusual for my bikes, and is really clean.  Heck, with 2200 miles, it is still new.  What should I watch out for.  Thanks in advance.

With the prices the used 14's are going for, a bike with that low miles is probably a steal. Here's a comprehensive list of the problems I have had with my 2008:

None

Actually my rear tire pressure sensor wasn't working out of the dealership the day I bought it so that would be the problem !
Buy it..You'll love it!

I just traded my 2008 C14 for a new 2010 model I found still sitting in a dealer's inventory.  Loved my 2008, but I wanted the improvements that Kawasaki made beginning in 2010.  My only minor complaint about the 2008 is the heat that can radiate to the lower legs in really hot weather.  Great bike!

Does it have a warranty, either the original or extended? The reason why I ask is that the bike has had some troubles. A lot of people have had no troubles what so ever. But some have had troubles. A bike like this is costly to repair when you do have a problem. So this is where the peace of mind comes into play with some kind of warranty. If the bike still has the OEM warranty, you may want to negotiate in a extended warranty to give you peace of mind.
The 08's probably had more of the teething pains of the C14's, being a brand new model year. But that doesn't mean you will have any trouble. Make sure you take it for a ride. Check the brakes. The C14 is notorious for warping rotors, both front and rear. Give then a good test from speed and make sure there's no vibrations.
Set the display on the TPS (tire pressure sensor) and make sure they are working properly. More than likely if they are not, it will take over the whole display. But setting it on TPS lets you view that both front and rear are functioning properly.
Listen for ticking sounds from the motor. A lot of the C14's have the exhaust manifold bolts that come loose. Normally it sounds like the motor is ticking fairly loud. It would be near impossible to check them on the floor, so riding may be somewhat of a way to check them.
Put it on the center stand and rotate the rear wheel. Listen for clicking sounds. Some of the bikes have hard drive shaft problems. If it's clicking, it may need some lube or maybe more.
It being an 08, it's probably more susceptible to a KIPASS failure. But normally that is a sticking activation switch. You won't know if the bike has had or will have problems with this. Push down on the key switch (with a fob present). If the ignition clicks and you can turn the switch, obviously it should work. IF not, well that's up to you. But IMO, if it has problems right then, run away!
Anyway that's some of the things you can look or listen for. The bike having only 2,200 miles is probably a good thing. But still give it a good looking over.
Like I have said, a lot of people have had no troubles at all with the bike. But some have, so checking out the bike is probably a very good idea. You don't want to start out with any problems right!

Just curious as to what is a "fair price"? there is a dealer here in Dalls (Irving Texas) that has 2 2008's brand new, listed at a happy meal under $10,000 ridden out the door. All factory warranties would be full I would imagine! (?)

I went a similar route as you. I sold the FJR for another Concours and have never looked back. Best decision I made. The Concours handles much better, has more power, and just makes me smile more than the FJR ever did.

For what it is worth, I traded in my 2008 Concours with over 20K miles on it on a 2010 last year and got $7,500 trade in. So if you are paying $7K for a bike with 2K miles on it, I'd say you are probably getting a pretty fair deal.

However, I'd advise you to check the CURRENT Blue Book value on it to be sure, as it has surely changed since the 2011 bikes have been released in the past few months. 2008 bike values have started to tumble due to all the changes made in 2010, so you are probably in the driver seat. Do your research before you commit.

I have an '08, I bought in August '10 from the local dealer.  It had one month left on the warranty and I got a three year extended warranty for dealer cost, about $235.  So far the plunger in the ignition for Kipass has been upgraded with a new heavier duty spring, and the tpms sensors will be replaced whent I get new tires installed in the spring.  Those two items more than offset the cost of the warranty.  If possible, you might consider negotiating an extended warranty with your dealer.

I wound up getting the C14 for $1900.00 otd plus my FJR.  It was a 2006 with some farkles and 28000 miles.  I got the Connie with a two brothers exhaust and a power commander 3 with 2280 miles on it.  I feel pretty good about the deal.  It was out of warranty, so I could not jump on the extension.  It handles so much better.  I could never learn the timing with the throttle jump on the FJR and would up wide too often.  It was not a smooth ride.  I love the throttle smoothness of the Connie.  I had a 1987 Connie and got a 2003 Gold Wing.  Great bike, but that front engine guard ground down hard and it got dicey in some corners.  I picked up a 1999 Connie and flogged that for several years.  I thought I moved up to an FJR, but it ruined me.  I took the Connie out today as the ice melted off all the streets and I am grinning from ear to ear.  Good to be back to the Kawasaki smoothness.  I am sorry I ever left.  COME ON SUMMER.

Congrats on the new to you bike. Yeah, the FJR's hold their value well. Which paid off for you now. Enjoy your new ride!

welcome-back-kotter.jpg

AJM said:
With the prices the used 14's are going for, a bike with that low miles is probably a steal. Here's a comprehensive list of the problems I have had with my 2008:

None

Buy it..You'll love it!

Same for me. I've had zero problems with my '08 bike.

The sun came out Saturday and some of the guys got together for a ride.  We rode about 250 miles and I was grinning ear to ear.  Like the previous post, the Connie is more responsive, quicker to turn, brake, accellerate.  I especially love the smoothness of the throttle.  I could never get used to the FJR throttle by wire.  I may be able to ride again and enjoy it.  No, that happened yesterday.  I love this bike.

lucky said:
I wound up getting the C14 for $1900.00 otd plus my FJR.  It was a 2006 with some farkles and 28000 miles. 

I suppose you meant  C14.. 2008. I have the 06 and if you do too I got gyped... mine is a C10!!!

doug said:
lucky said:
I wound up getting the C14 for $1900.00 otd plus my FJR.  It was a 2006 with some farkles and 28000 miles. 

I suppose you meant  C14.. 2008. I have the 06 and if you do too I got gyped... mine is a C10!!!

I think he meant the FJR was an 06!

lucky said:
I could never get used to the FJR throttle by wire.

I'm sure you meant throttle by cable or throttle wire. Not to confuse others. The FJR like the Concours (both C10 & C14) use throttle cables to actuate the throttle control. But the 06 FJR (being the first year of the Gen II FJR) was known for and abrupt throttle and heavy throttle spring. So it's understandable that you found it hard to get use to. My buddy still has his 06 FJR and has modified his throttle to make the bike easier to ride.