• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concourier Tech Index

It is awesome, but I can't help thinking it could be more awesome if it was in html, then the titles could be clickable links to take you too the document.

Still, it is great to have this just as it is.  :13:

Hi Cantex;

Great Job! Well done 8)

I have not seen an email from you, perhaps my spam filter eat it, so my apologies for not responding.
Please sent it again to the it@cog-online addy.

As WillyP says it would be great to have this as a Webpage, and that's easy to do, or you can also put links in the PDF.
My intention was to make a searchable master index of all the Concourier articles not just the Tech ones, however as its the Tech ones that are of the most interest you have hit the nail on the head  ;)

Thanks for the reminder to post the Fall and Winter ones. I have been slacking  ::)

Cheers

Colin

Awesome job Centex!

Thank very much for taking the time to put this together. I for one think something like this is very useful and worth maintaining.

I agree with WillyP too...making it an HTML page with clickable links would be great but that's something that can be done at any time by anyone.

Hey Alan, great job!

I have often thought (usually after finishing a Concourier article) how nice it would be to have just such a searchable index.  Would be a great addition to the website!  Thanks for taking the time to do this for the benefit of all members.  :)

Colin - email resent and followed by PM.

Within my very limited computer skills and tools I'll work with Colin to improve per the suggestions.

I don't do html, so someone else will have to take my docs there.

Links are interesting and I can certainly construct hyperlinks in Excel, Word or Acrobat, just not sure how to best implement that given the member login and Acrobat file password protection gateways that are between the 'world' and any specific Concourier article.

Frankly, I find all that security almost too cumbersome to mess with and it is very irritating that one cannot even print a tech article for reference when working on the bike (like rebuilding carbs).

I'm sure that the was considered when deciding the levels of security that are implemented ... but c'mon, a printing lockout when any member that wants to violate the 'secrecy and copyright oaths' can scan their hard copies and ....

Anyway, I'll work on this as long as the index is public.  Please PM me if you think any specific additional keywords should be added for specific articles.

Alan, thanks for the efforts.  I have been wanting to see this for some time but had little time to do it.  It can be taken so much further now with all the technology.  We need to expand on the idea that bore Chalk Dust and have an online index of every magazine article ever submitted all the way back to chalk dust days.  It would be lots of work but as people see how useful it is and how articles are saved and used into the future we may get more submissions also.  There is no reason this huge source of information should not be a top benefit of membership.

My idea was to group articles by issue/date released.  If links are included then just use one link for the issue and not do all the work of trying to link direct to the article.  If you know the issue and article name and can't find it in the library/issue/contents page yourself then maybe you should not be working on your own bike. 

Centex said:
I don't do html, so someone else will have to take my docs there.

I'd be happy create html from your docs. Best would be if they are plain text files, .txt. Word .doc would be ok too. In fact I would create two, one grouped by date, another grouped by subject.

I think it would be good to have this in the public space, so potential members would see the wealth of info available. With a note telling them to log in or join if they are not logged in. If someone clicks on a link to an article and they are not logged in, it should prompt them to log in.

Yes, many thanks for the work you put into this!

BTW, there is a Google Docs viewer plugin for Firefox, lets you view it without having to save it first.

One suggestion, a note and a link back to this thread for feedback, corrections, etc...

Alan, this is really nice.  So far everything has worked for me. You did a great job. 
Everyone, this will end up being a page that you do not have to download but it may take a few days.

BIG NOTE TO ALL:
If you are not familiar with accessing the Concourier archives note that you have to allow pop up windows from the cog-online site.  Once you click on the link and log in it should pop up a window. THIS WINDOW HAS THE PASSWORD ON IT.  I just highlight the password and ctr c to copy it.  Once you have the password either by copy or writing it down you have to close that window and download the file.  The DOWNLOAD button is hidden on the far RIGHT upper side of the screen and sometimes gets cut off if your window is small.  You will have to scroll right to see it.  When you hit download a pop up window asks for the password, enter that and you are presented the full issue.

Colin consider having clear text about how to access the files like this at the top of the index pages where ever they end up.

Chaps

I'm busy as heck trying to catch up on my IT related tasks after loosing 3 days with no vision. There are a lot of moving parts here. I am departing for Whistler tomorrow and expect to have some time next week to plan how best to do this. Most likely with a wordpress form.
I do appreciate all your input.

Colin on the 372 bus

Two trivial things...
Alan I wonder if it would be best to modify your first post in this thread to take the link out or to point them to something newer.  If someone only reads that far they do not know how far we/you have taken it.

The first time I looked at the full list I wondered...  Is it better to have all the free links at the top of the list and the pay stuff further down.  That way someone just stopping by notices first how much free there is and not just the pay stuff and move on.

Quick update

I have posted the Index to the main COG Tech Home Page, this can now be gotten to directly from the new drop-down menu above.
(Between Help and Search)

I will work with Centex to continue to refine this.

I found the index and it worked fine.  Could not find the text to go with the topics and of course I didn't receive one in the mail either.

Captjim said:
I found the index and it worked fine.  Could not find the text to go with the topics and of course I didn't receive one in the mail either.

Jim you will have to explain your problem better, if there is one, so we can help.