• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Considering building a cargo carrier - need feedback

I was standing around the Connie today at work with a guy who had been gone for a month, showing him my "custom" luggage rack and seat.  We were talking about the Great Motorcycle Trip I'm taking with my fiance this summer and he had an idea.  A relative had a big hog-type motorcycle, and he had cargo carrier on the back, similar to what you see on jeeps/suv's going to the dunes.  I am concerned about adequate stowage for the two of us on a 3 week trip that includes two high school reunions and our wedding (gonna get married in Vegas by Elvis just because it's so cliche'd).  I was thinking about building a mini one of these that bolts to tabs off my luggage rack to hold one of those rubbemaid action packers, and put just the sleeping bags, tent and sleep pads in it.  It wouldn't be that heavy, but it would be weight way back, cantilevered.  I am trying to avoid a trailer but still have room for all our stuff.  Currently the bike has E360's on the sides, an E460 trunk, and I have a bigger tank bag.  I was figuring we each get a side case for our stuff, the daily stuff goes in the tank bag, and the campout stuff in the 460.  I think I could bring alot more cooking/campout stuff with the cargo carrier hauling the bulky light stuff.

1) Has anyone personally done this?  I would like to know how badly it affects the bike.

2) Does anyone have an pics of something like this?  I have a good picture in my head but different ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,
Rick

If you know where you're going to be when, you can mail yourself some of the stuff (like the wedding gear?), then mail it back home.  You REALLY need to carefully consider just how much "stuff" you need (this is as opposed to "want").  This is especially true of your SO.  Separate all your stuff into 3 piles; the absolute essentials, the almost essentials, the luxuries.  Take all of the first pile, NONE of the second pile and one item from the third.  Good luck! BTW, Millerized builds a trailer hitch that can also work as a cooler carrier.  That might do what you're looking for. 

Three weeks, two up and a wedding!  Sorry, but your cargo carrier idea just ain't gunna do it!  Your habdling will be scary and how you will support the wiehgt of even the cargo carrier out there will be difficult and add more unnecessary weight to the bike.

Like Ranger Jim said, either mail it to your self or buy it there.  I mean we all carry way to mch stuff and the lesson is to, yes, pile everything you plan on bringing in one pile and all your money in another pile.  The cut the first pile in half and double the second pile and maybe you'll have enough room.

You could attach bungee buddies on top of the side bags and RokStrap waterproof kayak bags to the tops of the side cases.  Another option would be a cargo trailer.

2018712070052071584S200x200Q85.jpg

2326704650052071584S200x200Q85.jpg
2193465880052071584S200x200Q85.jpg

BUT if you go this route you WILL bring too much crap. Trust me on this!