• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Continental Conti Motion tires on 17" conversion

Yamahawk

Anyone use these tires yet? I just picked up two, 120/70-17 and 170/60-17 for the wheel conversion, pretty good price from Motorcycle Superstore, $169 shipped! They seem to have good reviews, maybe not the best tread life, but the price is very good. Let me know if anyone has experience with them.
  Charlie

you might find due to the additional weight of the C10 that they do not last all that long, but do report back how they work for you.  I just removed a set of shinko 009s with about 7500 miles and they were toast!  First ride into work this morning on new PR4s.  Mine were close to twice your price though.  ::)

Yamahawk,
do let us know how they work.  I'm currently running Dunlop Roadsmart IIs on my 17" setup and looks like I might get about 9K - 10K.  right now they're at 7K.  I like the DRSII grip in the wet.  might try PR4s if they'd ever offer a 160/70R17 which is what I'm running on the rear.
Brian

Had a PM from a fellow COG'er and here's what he had to say!

"I did the meanie rear and zx9 front end over the winter and I put those tires on and I have over 5k on them now and 1500 of that was really hard riding and they still look as if I just put them on .... but like I said I don't care much for the long warm up but ive had the avon 3d and the pr3's on the bike and so far I like the conti's the most the pr3 handled better but short lived the avon I didn't care for at all really low life and wasn't worth the hype people give them .. I ride the hell outta my bike and as long as I remember its a connie and not a zx14 the tires do just fine"

If they do this well for me, I will be very happy. I ride pretty hard also, and race vintage bikes, so I appreciate feedback like this hehe…
BTW, will be at Mid-Ohio this weekend for the Vintage Bike days, racing two races, one each saturday and sunday! Modern Lightweight, with the VTR250 Interceptor. Don't really know why they call it lightweight as there is a Ducati 900, Ducati 800, and several SV650's in the race. So, it will be fun, but don't expect to win lol… unless they all crash! ;)

danodemotoman said:
Ordered and 'in the mail' for the B King. $158 free ship.

$6 cheaper than what I paid, and they should be fresh! The date codes on mine are 05/15 front and 42/14 for the rear!

Put those on my 94 vfr. They sucked. Pilot power were way better and only 20 bucks more. Thought I would try something different.  Mistake. Long warm ups and bad in the round abouts.  Bad in the rain around corners.

I ran Conti - Force on my Bandit 600. Really liked them. With the 170/60 if you will remove the drive pumpkin and put it on the wheel the installation is much easier.

I got the front tire installed tonight, I found a 1995 ZX1100E front rim, in fairly good shape, and mounted the Conti Motion on it, and it feels really good, better than the Avon I had on it. Now, to install the Mean Streak rear!

The worst tires I have ever had. I could not get the front balanced even after repeated mounts/dismounts. Crap IMHO.

CRocker said:
Are the Conti Motions made in Korea?

Nope, made in Malaysia.
Got the rear mounted this evening, need a new brake line 22.5" long, c-c and then I can get the rear brake functioning. I can still get it up on the center stand also! I was worried the new 170/60-17 rear would be too low and make it harder to get on the center stand but it went on with about the same effort. Very Happy...

Well, after a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway, I have to say that these tires perform very well, wet and dry. The wet grip was very confidence inspiring, hit a lot of rain through Mt. Pisgah area, and also on the way home.  The tires perform very well. Nice grip in the curves also, and after 2,400 miles on them, they look really good, so I have to say they are worth buying! Here are a couple pics of them this morning in the driveway!

Attachments

• imag0067-resized-1280.jpg
    imag0067-resized-1280.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 107
  • imag0068-resized-1280.jpg
    imag0068-resized-1280.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 116
I was going to get these for my superhawk.  the price for a set of these was really good.  I ended up going with the shinko 009 instead just because I am familiar with them.

Good to know these are performing well for you.  :great:

Sport Rider said:
I was going to get these for my superhawk.  the price for a set of these was really good.  I ended up going with the shinko 009 instead just because I am familiar with them.

Good to know these are performing well for you.  :great:

I was in Maggie Vally on the 14/15th and in Roanoake on the 16th!
I think they are a good tire for the price, and they track straight as an arrow!

Hello to everyone, sorry about being away for a while!

Well, after finally wearing out the rear 170/60-17 tire, I have replaced it at around 11.5-12k miles with another Conti Motion, this time a 150/70-17. It was Much Easier installing this tire in the wheel well of the rear without removing anything like the fender, or letting the air out like I had to do with the 170/60-17. The rear fender is pretty flexible, which allows me to remove the rear on the center stand.
The front tire is getting replaced today, with the same 120/70-17, and that will give me a chance to evaluate the two together. I must say the 150/70-17 looks good on the rim, and it is a little more nimble now out on the street. I was concerned about the rim width being 5", and the recommended rim width for the 150/70-17 is 4.5". The extra 1/2" doesn't seem to bother the tire at all though, but we will see how it wears.
I am very impressed with the Conti Motion series, they handle very well in the wet or dry on the 17" rims.

Charlie

I am curious why you don't run a 160 or a 170 back tire? If you pull the final drive (4 nuts) with the wheel it is very easy to clear the fender. Installation is easier as well imho.

Pbfoot said:
I am curious why you don't run a 160 or a 170 back tire? If you pull the final drive (4 nuts) with the wheel it is very easy to clear the fender. Installation is easier as well imho.
Well, the 160 only comes in a 60 profile (160/60-17) in the Conti Motion... I would consider it in another brand, just that I like the Conti Motion a lot. And, the 160/60-17 would have been too short for the handling and ease of getting it onto the center stand.
The 170/60-17 was nice, it handles well, and I was going to use the one Pat had at the shop, but it was defective from him mounting it and dismounting it on another customer's rim. Bead was torn... So, I thought, what the heck, I will try the 150/70-17 he had there, as I remember someone else here said they had used one. And, I might say that it handles very well on the 5" Mean Streak rim.  Will see about the longevity.
I hear you on the 4 nuts and pulling the final drive! That's a good way to get the rear off when using the wider tire. Didn't have to do that with the 150/70-17 at all, and it fit well inside the fender. I had considered putting the bike up on a 2x12" to hang the rear off the back of it, I think the extra 1 1/2" would have made it clear the fender no problem. I had this idea of using a short piece at the rear tire, and a longer one for the front tire and the center stand... then, just slide the short piece out from under the rear tire, giving the clearance.  Anyway, I can say that the 150/70-17 fits the 5" Mean Streak rim, and has no handling problems, after 350 miles.
Charlie