• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Convince Me

mehush

Scooter
It's time for tires. Was not all that happy with the OEM tires.

I am torn between picking up a Pilot Power rear to go along with a Power front that I already have, or ordering a set of tires more suited to a big heavy bike.

I will be heading for the mountains in a month to ride 2-up at a modestly agressive pace(first time in the mountains for the wife).

I'm a little worried that the Powers are not designed to handle the weight. I used to use them on a 600# bike, riding solo, and loved them. But I'll be asking them to handle an additional 300# between the weight of 2 riders + luggage.

Anybody had experience with sportbike tires on their Connie?

Tire, oil, fuel etc opinions here are like, well you know...............everybody's got one. My .02, PR3's. Put about 2k on mine so far and luv 'em. Had PR2's on my last bike '03 1200 Bandit loaded for a week 2 up and never had a problem. :beerchug:

For great handling / confidence inspiring and very good in the rain, Go with the Pirelli Angel ST.  For very good handling (not quite as good confidence inspiring) and the best rain tire, go with Michelin PR3. Don't waste your time with the PR2. The other two are much better tires.

Can't go wrong with the Angel or PR2/PR3.  Jake Wilson usually has the best prices and you also get buyer reward cash after spending a certain amount. 

Thanks Jeremy. I wanted to use one of the support vendors from the other site if possible. I usually snap up specials well ahead of time but this time I am bell tapping.

If Murph stocked the 190/55 I wouldn't hesitate buying my tires from him, that is why I go through Jake Wilson.

The key is to desensitize the bike to new tires gently without any sudden shocks. I would suggest just moving one tire (Not a pair of tires!) into the garage, where the bike can see it but not have any interaction. Make sure the bike knows the tire is not mounted. Then after the bike gets used to the new tire, bring in the other tire so that the bike knows that this tire is not a 'one- off'. Slowly, over a few weeks, move the tires closer and closer to the bike until they are on the floor on the right side of the bike, near the wheels they will be mounted on. Now for the critical step: take the plastic covering off one of the tires; the bike might react to this because not only will it see the tire but it might smell it as well. Allow the bike a couple of weeks to get used to these new tires and then let one rest against the bike over night for a few nights. Follow this by adding the other tire and letting both lean against the bike for another few days, and finally mount the tires on the bike and ride it.

Brian

mehush said:
It's time for tires. Was not all that happy with the OEM tires.

I am torn between picking up a Pilot Power rear to go along with a Power front that I already have, or ordering a set of tires more suited to a big heavy bike.

I will be heading for the mountains in a month to ride 2-up at a modestly agressive pace(first time in the mountains for the wife).

I'm a little worried that the Powers are not designed to handle the weight. I used to use them on a 600# bike, riding solo, and loved them. But I'll be asking them to handle an additional 300# between the weight of 2 riders + luggage.

Anybody had experience with sportbike tires on their Connie?

+1 on BDF. Sometimes ya gotta sneak up on her. I'm suprised you didn't mention using electrical tape to hold the front brake lever and clutch in. That's always worked for me. Like wrasslin' gators. :)) Got the 55 profile. Feels great. B rated too. Most of my stuff is 2 up loaded for 2 or 3 days min.