• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

cooling vests

Hi all.

It was a shade over 90 today when I rode out about 25 minutes to grab lunch.  On the asphalt, it felt like 1000 degrees.  I'm from West Texas and have lived in Sacramento for 14 years so I've grown up riding hot.  I have done the soak your shirt thing on many occasions which lasts all of 20 minutes and then you stink like a pack mule.  While today was not super hot, the summer is here and with the dry conditions we have had, this summer is going to be a scorcher.  I've done a search and I've been reading some threads about cooling vests. 

So, how exactly do these cooling vests work.  I get that you pretty much soak them, let them drain a bit and put them on.  But, do your clothes get wet?  Like if I ride for 30 minutes in the hot summer, do I arrive at my destination damp?  I'm guessing that the hotter it is outside and the longer you ride, the dryer you will become.  Is that correct? Or do your clothes even get wet?  Are there cellulose pellets inside the vest that hold the water?  Sorry I'm an idiot but I'm just trying to understand how these work and if they are even worth messing with... So, your experiences and thoughts are welcome.

We just used them 8n Colorado and they worked great. The inner liner should keep your clothes from getting wet. As you are riding the wind hitting the vest makes it feel like a cool breeze. We're very glad we all had them.

We'll after a 95 degree ride on Saturday, I decided to head over to Cycle Gear here in Sacramento and pick on up.  Can't wait to try it.

I just used mine also riding home from Cortez yesterday.  We rode in temps over 100 degrees and it made a huge difference.  My long sleeve shirt does get wet too and I soaked the sleeves also.  All of this worn under a mesh jacket.  I wasn't trying to keep my clothes dry as it was so hot.  I also had a wet rolled shirt around my neck so it was dripping down too.  For these extreme conditions it worked extremely well.

Just remember to hydrate also.  I had a camelback bladder and was sipping the entire time.  10 hrs and 425 mi, half of it in extreme heat, and arrived home feeling tired but overall pretty good.  Without it I would have been baked.  No fun.  Mark

The phase change vests don't have to be recharged by dunking them in ice water, although they can be. Just as effective to put them in the fridge for an hour or so. A guy I used to work with did that one summer. He'd wear it in on hot mornings, or just bring it in if it wasn't too bad. Then he'd stash it in the work fridge over the day (in a nice bag with his name on it). Then he'd wear it home. His commute was almost an hour and he said it kept him comfortable even in the high 90's. Only his legs would get a little toasty from the engine.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  So, just to be clear, it goes shirt, cooling vest, mesh jacket?  Or can you put it under your shirt and then put on the mesh jacket?  Or, does it matter?

So, just to be clear, it goes shirt, cooling vest, mesh jacket?
Yes, for me and the  non cotton t shirt.

E in NorCal said:
Thanks for all the help everyone.  So, just to be clear, it goes shirt, cooling vest, mesh jacket?  Or can you put it under your shirt and then put on the mesh jacket?  Or, does it matter?

There are different technologies even with the evaporative vests. Some use "diaper"type material and some use higher tech "grains/modules" which expand as they take in water ... The grains are usually considered better/last longer in terms of cooling because they store more water and release it more reliably over time ... But they also cost more. The MiraCool uses the grain technology.

I store/take a sealable plastic bag with my jacket. During lunch I pour a couple of glasses of ice water on the jacket while in the bag .. And it's ready to go when I leave.  :beerchug:

I rarely feel I need it in the morning so I just soak my vest the night before and put it in a zip lock on the bike in the morning.  I usually put it on after lunch and it makes it through the worst part of the day.

smithr1 said:
I rarely feel I need it in the morning so I just soak my vest the night before and put it in a zip lock on the bike in the morning.  I usually put it on after lunch and it makes it through the worst part of the day.

Concur ... I do that too ...  ;D

Recently I just roll with the cooling vests in the bags and not wetted ... and if it gets hot ... that's where the "lunch time" water comes in.

So although the "swamp" cooler it makes your t-shirt damp (not a problem in Florida as you can dry out in minutes) ... it is easy to refresh at stops ... and works longer than some other options ... which we need down here  :(

I just ordered one of the $22 versions.  Looks like its made by Miracool also.  $7.50 for delivery, not great but overall really cheap if it works.  Thanks for the link Shezonit.