• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Corbin modular system

glh1201

Big Wheel
I'm considering the Corbin heated seat and the smuggler trunk. It's really expensive, does anyone know any less expensive alternatives that still have quality, comfort and options?  Thanks for any replies.

Nope. Corbin is the best IMO, quality cost $, but of all the farkles I've done my Corbin is up at the top of the list, you get what you pay for...  :13:

No. But Sargent also makes a set up. But it's also very pricey. Why not get the seat and just strap a rear seat bag on the rear seat? It may not be like having a smuggler for a rear seat. But it is much cheaper.

I posted a similar question elsewhere as I'm also looking to upgrade from the stock seat.

I think I've come to the conclusion that $800 is too much money to pay for 10 liters of storage on the Corbin (or $450 for 5 liters on the Sargent). I spent less than $100 for an expandable tank bag (24 to 40 liters) which I can quickly and solidly attach to the rear rack and seat whenever I need it.

Having said that, I think I'm going to go with the Corbin over the Sargent. There's less than $20 difference in the prices. I'm sure that either will be comfortable, but I personally like the looks of the Corbin better.

I ordered a Balwin for my 09, it was beautiful! and very uncomfortable.  I sent it back (my cost) and they built me another one.  Great customer service unfortunately both seats caused pain, they refunded my money no questons asked.  Great company.

wally_games said:
I posted a similar question elsewhere as I'm also looking to upgrade from the stock seat.

I think I've come to the conclusion that $800 is too much money to pay for 10 liters of storage on the Corbin (or $450 for 5 liters on the Sargent). I spent less than $100 for an expandable tank bag (24 to 40 liters) which I can quickly and solidly attach to the rear rack and seat whenever I need it.

Having said that, I think I'm going to go with the Corbin over the Sargent. There's less than $20 difference in the prices. I'm sure that either will be comfortable, but I personally like the looks of the Corbin better.

Nice choice WG, I don't think you'll regret it!  :)

MotorMan said:
I'm considering the Corbin heated seat and the smuggler trunk. It's really expensive, does anyone know any less expensive alternatives that still have quality, comfort and options?  Thanks for any replies.
You can also use this stylish tail bag. It's 23liters, and fits well on the Concours. MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Tail Bag. The bag retails at the Motycycle Superstore for $61.99.
mototrek_sport_tail_bag_1675.jpg

Bourne2Ride said:
MotorMan said:
You can also use this stylish tail bag. It's 23liters, and fits well on the Concours. MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Tail Bag. The bag retails at the Motycycle Superstore for $61.99.

This one looks like it will blow off as soon as you start moving. They're not showing it tied down in any way. I've affixed a tank bag on the back of mine. A little more square, but lots of room. I got some straps and buckles from the camping store and use them to tie it to the side bag brackets. Maybe I'll post a pic...

Bourne2Ride said:
MotorMan said:

I wouldn't consider this a valid replacement for somebody wanting the "Corbin smuggler storage compartment". It's not a hard shell compartment, it's not locking, not color matched, etc. This is more just like a tank bag for your tail, just my opinion...

Motorman,

Not my business concerning your finances. If I had a large amount of disposable income I would get Corbin smuggler in heartbeat. Alas, I'm not in that situation but have had plenty experience with after market re-sellable items. The smuggler is re-sellable to select group. As captain Bob points out why not get a bag that is re-sellable to a larger group on flea bay?

Just a thought.

wally_games said:
This one looks like it will blow off as soon as you start moving. They're not showing it tied down in any way. I've affixed a tank bag on the back of mine. A little more square, but lots of room. I got some straps and buckles from the camping store and use them to tie it to the side bag brackets. Maybe I'll post a pic...

Wally_games, The picture does not show the bag secured to the bike tail. It secures very well in the included bungee straps to the tail of the Connie.
2010-MotoCentric-Mototrek-Sport-Tail-Bag-Black634079718908784785.jpg

ZG said:
I wouldn't consider this a valid replacement for somebody wanting the "Corbin smuggler storage compartment". It's not a hard shell compartment, it's not locking, not color matched, etc. This is more just like a tank bag for your tail, just my opinion...

ZG, no the bag is not lockable or color coded - it does hold it's shape as it's rigid; but the O/P indicated the smugglers trunk and corbin seat were too expensive. I simply illustrated my pick for an alternative. At $61.99 I bought it. If I wanted - I could get a good luggage lock for the zippers and called it a day.

2010-MotoCentric-Mototrek-Sport-Tail-Bag-Black634079718930674785.jpg

In any event it's an alternative to the expensive Corbin configuration and holds much more. It looks great on the Connie, secures without any issues, and has a rigid construction that keeps its shape empty or full.
I can get a 17" laptop, shoes, rain gear, wallet, and cell phone in it without issue. Coupled with the Connies panniers I'm loaded down for a weeks worth of riding with out an issue.
Put that stuff in a smugglers trunk.