• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

cruise control purple wire issue

My cruise won't engage and went through the trouble shooting tips. It's always worked without a relay so I assume until recently something has changed. At the purple wire with the key on without the brake pressed it's reading .13 volts. When I engage the brake pedal it only reads 9.3 volts. I haven't tried it with it running.  The trouble shooting guide says I should get 12v. I haven't seen where anyone else has had this problem.  With the bike running The purple wire is reading .2v and 12v when brake applied. I'm assuming .2 is making the cruise think the brake is being applied and won't let it engage. Any help?\
Brent

Brake light bulbs all OK? No change to LED's?
Good connections on everything else?
Relay works and is free/clear of anything that might have gotten into it (moisture/sand/grit)?

Just other things to check for.

I have to assume its an Audiovox unit. Check Murphs site.for in depth instructions about the purple wire, and the issue, I think its explained there.

Yeah I've never put LEDs and the brake lights work fine. I went ahead and bought the relay and I'm installing it now. Guess we will go from there.  Sturgis is a long way to go without cruise. 

everything checks out wiring wise at the servo with the exception of the weird .2v. Put the relay in and that didn't help. I'm going to try and just ground the purple wire and see if that bypasses the brake circuit to narrow it down to perhaps a keypad or servo.

ok, so I grounded the purple wire and no difference. It still won't engage. The keypad function all work as I checked the connections at the servo.  I'm guessing the only thing left is to check the servo or the cable itself. Not sure how to check the servo.

humor me.
I gather this was operating at some time prior?

remove the tail light bulbs, clean the sockets, and install new bulbs...
that mini volt being sensed may be some shorting and corrosion, and just enough to prevent the cc from sensing correctly..as it senses a drain.

spritzing some WD40 into both front and rear brake switches may help also, maybe some moisture in there....
then, if this doesn't help, disconnect the wires from the rear, and see what happens, then replace those.and disconnect the front switch...

I think you may be leaking that mini volt at a switch, or the lamp socket itself....

yes man of blues. It worked for a year. If I grounded the purple wire it should bypass the purple wire issue all together am I correct?

well, you would be passing the 2v to ground... not good...
the question you need to address ks why is there 2v between purple and ground, with bike running, and brakes not on.... that means there is a pertial circuit connection somewhere, either one of the switches, or in the lamp socket, or bulb....
are you following me?

shrting the purple to ground should allow the unit to boot up, and operate (once up to speed) but you can't shut it off... not good. it is only a test.
that was outlined in one of the links I noted.

find the point where that current is coming from, by checking each switch, and the bulbs, and the sockets...

Nope, I believe the purple wire needs to see a ground thru a resistance,
like the tail light bulb. If not grounded thru bulb it will not engage. I rigged
up an 1157 bulb standard brake light bulb connected to purple wire to
test my cruise when I was having problems. Cruise would engage with just
one bulb. By the way that is not the problem I have.