• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cure for the sore butt?

Nice idea and concept but it really needs a way to auto retract/remove quickly.  You do not always know when you will have to stop and not being able to put a foot down after a panic stop is $$$$ on most bikes.

This concept is what makes the daylong seats so good yet so ugly.  The way they are scooped and winged makes more of your weight on your thighs, same as the board does.

smithr1 said:
Nice idea and concept but it really needs a way to auto retract/remove quickly.  You do not always know when you will have to stop and not being able to put a foot down after a panic stop is $$$$ on most bikes.

This concept is what makes the daylong seats so good yet so ugly.  The way they are scooped and winged makes more of your weight on your thighs, same as the board does.

:iagree:

That's the first thing I started thinking - about how to fold it down ASAP during a unscheduled stop.
Especially on a Concours that is so top heavy, and a tip of 10°-15° will result in a tip over.

So either I would have to come up with a better design or I would pass on this until someone else came up with something better.

As it is - it could be really dangerous even though they say it should only be used by Long Distance Riders and basically on a highway.

I have to believe that highway pegs are probably the next best thing - if not as good.  JMO.

I think it's a very good idea for a rider to make and modify so that it works. I'm thinking a kind of one-sided board...that would allow one leg to go down all the way at the stops. Flip it over and relieve the other butt cheek. Could be flipped while underway but would have to be careful and grip strong.

Sport Rider said:
beads has always been my cheap go-to solution.

Beads for comfort? They're just to let air under the butt in hot weather . . . . right?!?

I've tried everything. My first long trip in '09 almost killed my rear. I shoved oven mitts in my pants for a few back-back long days in the saddle. Then I ordered an Alaska Leather Butt Pad mid-trip - and it's okay for keeping the sun/rain off the seat when parked. Did add some comfort but the damage had been done.

I'm on a ride now - 1,000+ miles in 2 days testing an AirhawkR. Well, it's alright, still sore. I did like sitting on it in my recliner at home when I first unboxed it:)

I have bought and tried every seat out there except the Saddleman; which looks amazingly comfortable - but not my style. Currently on a Lamm seat and have to say nothing makes a difference like a seat. All the aftermarket seats felt fine. Corbin is hard. Sargent looks best on the C14 IMO. Baldwin makes a nice seat for sure - and is good to COG.

In the end, my only comfortable long rides have been on KLR 650s. Once for a week on a stock seat and once for much longer on a proper saddle. 13,000miles in 75 days this summer on the KLR and my butt never hurt like the C14 hurts it. So, I give the credit for my soreness to the seating position more than the seat. Give me a tall wide handlebar and foot controls under the knees anyday. . .

BUT, as long as the cops keep looking the other way there's nothing like a C14  :motonoises:

Wooden plank? I saw that web page way back when - and I thought it was a joke. So, it's for real?!?

A properly filled Airhawk R eliminated my long distance issues. I don't even think about the seat or riding position any more.