• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Custom Seat Question

AwesomeDad

Starting to Look at getting a seat done. I currently have the Stock seat and OEM touring seat. I am assuming regardless who I choose to go with I should send in my stock seat since they will be reworking it anyway. Any benefit to sending my touring seat? Also I know its a trade off but has anyone been successful in having the seat lowered about an inch without giving up comfort? I am afraid if I go with a Russell the added height would be a deal breaker, I already can't flat foot with the touring seat...

JJ

I removed all the foam from my stock seat just in the area next to the gas tank.
Since I have no legs to speak of, this is the curse I live with so that I can balance the bike while waiting for the light to change.

Not the most comfortable setup, but it works. Comfy enough for me.

Harry Martin said:
I removed all the foam from my stock seat just in the area next to the gas tank.
Since I have no legs to speak of, this is the curse I live with so that I can balance the bike while waiting for the light to change.

Not the most comfortable setup, but it works. Comfy enough for me.
I tried that with no success...

JJ

I am also a bit "inseam challenged".

Years back I took a day and rode down to Corbin in Hollister CA for a 'ride in' appointment. They use their own seat pans, so you do not have to donate your old seat. It is quite common evidently for folks to request lower seat height and/or minimal padding near tank to allow for better footing. You can do all that over the phone or web. We took advantage of only living a half-day ride away to visit in person. They were able, and happy even, to adjust and contour the foam until it was perfect for myself and my (pillion on the Connie) wife.  We grabbed lunch in the cafe on site while the upholstery was constructed, then drove home in amazing comfort.

Even if an on-site visit is not an option for you, these folks always seem to want to turn out a quality product.

I had my seat done at Bitchn Stitchn (Denver area). They did a great job. They are familiar with Connies and know what to do to the seats for height and if you've added riser (more upright position). They were able to reuse my stock seat cover so I was out the door for $165. They lowered the back portion to stop me sliding forward & widen the nose some for more comfort. They asked if I wanted it lowered (no) so they can do that. Widening the nose had the affect of raising the seat as far as touching the ground but that wasn't a problem for me, 31" inseam & bike lowered ~1". Local service includes you sitting on the bike and testing the fit a couple times during the process but they do mail order/shipping, too. They can change the foam & add a gel pad if you want. Told me to ride it for a few months and come back for a free adjustment if I wanted one. Great guys to work with & excellent service. http://www.bsseats.com/

If you have something like this done I suggest modifying the stock seat. If it works out well you can sell that Touring seat and probably pay for the stock seat mods.

If you get the urge to come out here and have it done you've got a place to stay and after it's done we can go riding in the mountains.

Leo