• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

cutting windscreen

bike came with the rifle set up on it when i got it. i bought the short replacement screen from rile, i thought it was 15" but when i measured it it was 15 1/2". i wanna take 2 to 2 1/2" off. i'm planning on using my trusty sabre saw...aka... jig saw. any tips on cutting this stuff? i've got the tape on there to stop the cracking, i'm still trying to figure out how i want the corners. if i start at 2 and decide i want a little more, can i cut another 1/2" or so? or should i just use a belt sander at that point. TIA....tom

Some people have successfully used a jig saw to achieve your goal but I'm not one of them.. ;) If I have a flat screen (no flip or lip, just curved) I tape off both sides, layout the cut on the tape, reverse install a veneer/plywood circular saw blade in my table then cut. with the tape still on the windshield I take a hand held orbital sander and clean the edges with some 120 grit down to 300 grit, remove the tape then finish with a propane torch this really cleans up the edge but don't hold the flame in one spot just run it back and forth until the frosting is gone. Too much heat will distort and or melt.. If I were to cut down a windshield with a flip I would use a Dremel or RotoZip with a RotoZip spiral cutoff bit, then follow up with the rest of my recommendations above.. Just a little more edge cleanup in this method..

thanks for the tips mike. i didn't think about putting the saw blade in backwards. seems like it would be a little difficult to make the cut with the curve in the glass though. what about the corners? do you just round them with the sander?

Tape both sides and use a jigsaw. You can cut the curved edges just fine. Then finish it as others have recommended. You should be able to cut an additional 1/2" or so just by retapeing. and starting over. Cut mine down 2" and then another 1" latter. Good idea leaving the tape on while sanding. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Yes to all the above. I cut my Rifle three times to get it where I wanted it, but I have a big 14" bandsaw. I have made many aircraft windows, etc., from Plexiglass. Yes, leave the tape on when sanding the edge, and use a sanding block of hard rubber or wood, other wise, your fingers tend to curl around a little and can scuff the surfaces. Be very careful if you use a belt sander, they can generate a lot of heat and melt the edges or cause tha plastic to change color. Use 600 WET sandpaper, and round the edges a little and they will be silky smooth, look professional.

I cut my Rifle three times And it was still too short. LOL, yeah, but only until I put on Pilot GT tires, that raised it back up.

nosmo wrote; LOL, yeah, but only until I put on Pilot GT tires, that raised it back up. WHAT?!!!!! well i've successfully made the cut. hopefully i took enough off. went with the jig saw, no complications still gotta sand and polish and all that good stuff. thanks for all your help guys.

You can round the corners with the table saw also. And as said if I was to do a windshield with a flip I would use a RotoZip.. It's a little more work in cleaning up the cut edge but it works.

thanks guys, that came out way better than expected :). sanding with the tape on is definitely the WTG. slipped off the edge 2 or 3 times, i know i would've had some scratches to polish out. luckily the tape saved me. i ended up taking 2" off, really like it a lot but i can see another 1" coming off at some point. for now i'm gonna leave it like it is. has anyone been successful with an adjustable windshield mount for these bikes? just wonderin. thanks, tom

nosmo wrote; LOL, yeah, but only until I put on Pilot GT tires, that raised it back up. WHAT?!!!!! ************************* Yeah, taller tires....so the windshield is higher now. ;) Regarding adjustable 'shields: Yes, there are some around. At lesat one person has made an electric version. If you can't find it on this forum, try www.concours.org. the OTHER forum. :gasp: