• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Damn Lip

oldsawfiler

Crotch Rocket
While I was trying to take my Laminar Lip off to adjust it I broke a corner off my Rifle.  Broke from the far left screen mount bolt almost straight up.  Tried to Super Glue it back last night, but it pop ed right off again this AM.  Bumbed out.  I had just put my 50k sticker on it just above the AMA sticker over the vent. 
Debating on cutting my own or buying a new 15"er from Rifle for $90.  Local HDepot has the .093"X24"X18" lexan for $16 BUT :-\

Wanted a larger screen than the Rifle.
so when  broke in 98? ordered a slipstreamer from JCWhitless for the 85 H$$#a GW Int, trimmed base to fit Rifle base. Cheap then @ $30, now $60 ?
More wide like an inch past the rifle base sides. Tall but as a tall rider with long torso can easily see over it after trimming and inch off while modifying the base contour.
Have not tried the LL. Some have complained the LL puts more of the rain on rider?
Megashield2

.093 is too thin of a material.  What you need is something closer to .120

Here is a link to a retailer. I have no idea what shipping costs would be, but the "per each" pricing is very good and it is cut to 24" x 48" which means you could probably get 2 shields out of it.
They also mention they will "custom" cut to length.

http://rplastics.com/lexan-polycarbonate-sheet-clr-0-125am24x48.html

Also in the Seattle area there is a company called Tap Plastics that supplies retail.  http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/locations.php?lid=21&PHPSESSID=20110218181852657977188 

I used to purchase (wholesale) from Port Plastics in Tukwila.  (206) 575-4994  Maybe they could direct you to a better source.

Best of luck!

Although extremely strong, plain lexan scratches easily so you want to be sure you get lexan with a scratch resistant coating.

Get it from here: McMaster-Carr - Catalog Page 3539

You want 1/8 inch sheet. Choose clear, grey or bronze tint.  I got a sheet 24 x 48 and they charged me IIRC $6.00 for shipping and handling.  I made a tall shield, a short shield, and something else from it, and there is still enough left over for another very short shield.

Murph's has screens only for $80 including shipping. Bolt on in 10 minutes and you are good to go. My screen failed after 17 yrs so I got my money out of it!

I got a shield from Rifle for $90.  When I removed the old shield today there appears to be a black seal between the base and the shield.  Does this need to be replaced?  Rifle does not list it on their site.  In mine, some came off with the shield and some is adhered to the base.

I found some weatherproof insulation from Home Depot and relined the windshield base with it.  You may want to paint it black to match the installation of the base.

oldsawfiler said:
I got a shield from Rifle for $90.  When I removed the old shield today there appears to be a black seal between the base and the shield.  Does this need to be replaced?  Rifle does not list it on their site.  In mine, some came off with the shield and some is adhered to the base.

This is the stuff you need. Yopu can find it locally at a sign makers shop or an artist supply shop as well.
http://www.tapecase.com/p.324.84/3m-4056-3m-double-coated-urethane-foam-tape-1-16-thick.aspx

The fist Rifle I got, 1995?, did not have the foam at all.  I ended up getting a different one on a different Concours some years later and it had the foam so I used it.  That shield then got damaged and when I tried to remove it the foam stuck so good I have to dig and scrape and break things to get the thank goodness broken shield off.  I also think the foam adds to the chance that you will over tighten the screws and crack around the mount holes.  I know Rifle started using the foam for some reason.  I am just not seeing why.