• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dang, add me to the list.

JS_racer

Street Cruiser
well, it was on a 11 day trip, 2nd to last day, riding hard all day, it was about 4 pm.
the location was little Switzerland NC , i was on the store side somewhat around the bend, we were heading out to the right. this was my second time at this place on the trip, first was no problem, still concerning though since i am 5'9, and wear racing boots with very thin soles. we had eaten luch and refreshed the first time. this time it was a few minute stop.

http://goo.gl/ihLvHb                      (street view i was in the spot closer to the curve next to the H one, and a car where the explorer is)

that is the location, the pavement is very banked. started going, not sure if the bars locked right, but it tipped very quickly on the banking and slid a tic.  :-[ mirror, slight on mid faring, lower black, and about 2" on the side case. this bummed me out because i was there with a r1, zx6, s1000, and a few other sport bikes, and these guys ride hard. the entire trip riding was as perfect as it could be, i smoked a set of pr4 tires  almost to the bars in those few days. most guys left on bald tires, some burned through 2 sets. 

i guess i have always known parking lot and super slow maneuvers have been tricky for me. i can feel better about loosing footing or being short compared to mental loss and flying off the road.  :motonoises: still looks like poop and i think it could look worse than some that crashed there on the trip.

the bike has full coverage, have to touch base with progressive.
Thanks for the time and the ear!!

Joel

it was laying flat, cause of the banking, i was riding with a great guy, about the size of Shrek  :great:, he and his wife helped cleanly lift it, was a piece of cake.
If it was me alone, would have been a much bigger issue.

That is a brutal location.  Nothing to be ashamed of there. That whole road going south to the four lane is quite the route. Sorry for the drop but if anyone's ever been there, they'll know EXACTLY how this could happen. :'(

That Google Street View link was fantastic - I've been right by there several times and that view made it leap right into my mind!  And Ron is right - anyone who's ever been there knows EXACTLY how this went down.  Getting out of that parking lot heading southbound not only has a wicked curve, but it's filled with loose rock.  Glad that neither you nor Connie was significantly hurt and it's great that you had help to get her back upright!

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 536th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0532 C10 Keith Toby
0533 C10 Scott Mitchell
0534 C10 Eric Stewart
0535 C10 David Peters
0536 C14 Joel Scherzer

thanks guys, southbound may have been easier going across the lane first, to make the turn worse, i was trying to go north around the restaurant, had been south down and back just before parking. what a fun road in second or 3rd gear. my day started in Maggie valley, so quite a few twisty miles to get there.

(was parked backed in between the H and the green explorer spot on google street view taking the right turn around the bend.)

never been in this area.  this looks beautiful.  did yall stay at the hotel?
i bet the riding is great.  except for the fall, sorry man. 

Robert said:
never been in this area.  this looks beautiful.  did yall stay at the hotel?
i bet the riding is great.  except for the fall, sorry man.

the entire area is great, very beautiful and the roads are great , our trip was based in Maggie valley NC and traveled all over the area.