• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Davo Jones Crashed

The Iron Butt Rally page says that Davo Jones hit a deer on US Highway 95, shortly after crossing back into the U.S. It says he was seriously injured and had to be airlifted to the nearest hospital. At that location, it would have been the last day of the rally.

Oh dear or deer. I don't know Davo, but my heart goes out to him and his family. Those that know him, please keep us posted.

Unfortunately it gets worse, Davo passed away..... The other thread had this but I'm cross posting here Here is a link to the far riders forum http://farriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1523.msg26947#msg26947 Very sad news.....

Damn. I was really hoping to read something other than this when I checked back on him. I really feel for his family. There's a quote on his website; "we are all destined to die, some choose to live while alive" :: davo :: Considering the things he's done, I think his choice was clear.

I've followed Davo on the MTF before I bought my C14, I was following the reports on the rally and now that I had bought my C14 I was even more so interested in following him. What a sudden and tragic loss to the long distance riding community - he was riding the big ride which was his dream just so sad he was taken so quick - my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the thousands of friends he knew and inspired.

My reaction to this is oh, how tragic. I have been reading about this ride and I am sick. I have had three deaths in the family this year and I am grieving Davo who was until this week a total stranger. He did go out in honor. He was riding half way around the world from his home in a great adventure. I would rather go this way than the way both of my parents died - at the end of long illnesses. My condolances to your family and friends Davo. Thanks for living your adventure!

we are all destined to die, some choose to live while alive This quote from David "Davo" Jones is from the top of his home page: http://www.davojones.com/

Oh no. A terrible loss. I was fortunate to meet Davo on a 2007 AU tour and he and family put me up for a night. He showed me around including the lovely nearby Noosa Head harbor area. He was just about to receive a GTR1400 on loan for a test and report before they were released to the public. He was so looking fwd to that event. Davo was an instant friend and one to remember forever. (thought I had posted this prior)

I really have a problem with these Iron Butt things, (I posted it on the listserv.) I don't know whether or not Davo was fully alert when he had his accident. In fact, I'll say know nothing about the circumstances of the accident. But I will say that his (or anyone's) loss was a terribly sad thing. But in principle, it just seems irrational to test one's ability to withstand prolonged riding on a motorcycle. The penalty for falling asleep or inattentiveness due to lack of sleep can be at best injurious and at worst, fatal to oneself or to someone else. It simply makes no sense to me to risk one's life for a license plate ring and some bragging rights. (Frankly, it's not something to brag about, IMHO.) I realize that people get into motorcycling for various reasons, but riding to the limits of one's consciousness shouldn't be one of them. YMMV.

I have to say to Bob, "if it has to be explained to you, you're probably better off not knowing, because it won't mean a thing after I waste my breath....", and I have a feeling when we are all up there kicking tires, and swapping stories, Davo would be glad to share with you and all of the rest of us. Personally the time I shared 'over wire" with the man led me to believe his sincerity of personal accomplishment was a bit more than getting "a license plate" frame, as you so basely put it, or even as bragging rights, because Davo didn't brag....so raise a glass of your best scotch, say a blessing wishing him well, and get over it. Feel free to write anything you wish in your editor section as a siddebar construeing this behavior as foolish and dangerous, I'm sure it will be a good read, but until you understand why folks do it you'll be preaching to the choir. How many times have we set out to accomplish something others felt was foolhardy? Simply riding a motorcycle gets response of "oh my gawwwd" from many, so playing a game of ADV "Adventure Tag-o-Rama" across the northern continent is just doing what many of us do on a lessor level.It's a game, and dmned if it ain't fun... Dig a bit deeper into the "theme" (each rally has one, this years was "crime scenes") and you'll begin to understand, maybe. hey, slippery rocks and fishing all alone on some backwash stream could result in death, happens everyday. nuff said. I followed Davo with great hopes on this ride, and was saddened beyound words when the incident occured. I've expressed my los on a couple sites where his other freinds frequent, and wish there was some closure to the rumors behind the scenes. There is not. with that behind us I'd like to congradulate Roger Sinclair, 12th place finisher in the Gold round,on his new C14, for his excellent first attempt at this honorable feat, even better he is a friend, and I can share his joy when I see him next, seeing as he is a local neighbor....might even convince him to become a COG member someday... better yet, maybe I'll pick his brain and put it all together in print for submission for the Concourier... so when is the next deadline?

next deadline is 9/30 ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br