• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dealer Tire Warning - Valid?

nschloss

Tricycle
I'm trying to get new tires on my '06 Concours for a long weekend ride this week. I didn't really want to go back to the stock Dunlops but my dealer says this is the ONLY tire they will sell me for my bike due to reported handling problems with some other (unnamed) brands. They didn't say all others were bad, just that the stock Dunlops are a known. I had a line on Avon Storm front / Azaro rear but am now concerned for safety. Obviously many of you are riding on non-stock tires. Anyone care to comment on this and give me peace of mind? Should I be worried starting a long trip on fresh but different tires? Thanks!

Your dealer is a stealer and a lying stealer at that. I'm running Bridgestone Battlaxe v45s and they are just fine. Many other choices work great, even a car tire works, but I wouldn't do that myself. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Plain and simple: find another dealer. Better yet, learn to do the work yourself. There's nothing on that bike that can't be done with your normal garage's tools. Nothing. Keep an eye out for local wrenchfests, offers for assistance or just find a local guy/gal and learn together. I'm in WV (eastern panhandle). Stop on over with a set of tires and we'll teach you how to do it, show you the tools you need, and make things work. We are COG, we don't need no steenken tire snob dealers. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

That is the dealer policy where I live as well. It's a liability issue for them. Has nothing to do with tire quality. I never run the OEM's on any bike once they're worn out. The storm and azaro are tires of choice for many and may be my next as well. Find another shop that will install your tires for you and buy them online and save.

I agree that this is probably a liability / CYA response. I did see some posts from folks claiming wobble / tank slap with different tires but suspect it's more than tires at work. I'm starting to get my peace of mind thanks to you all. Looks like Avons will be my choice - they're the only other tires in stock in the city before the weekend!

Don't forget to scuff your new tires in for about 50 miles to get rid of the new tire slimey coating. Nothing like hitting a curve at speed and doing an unexpected 2 wheel drift.

Neil, You will really enjoy the Avon's. I am still on my first one on the front and second on the rear. Got 10k miles out of the first rear and I play in the mountains on a regular basis. Enjoy and take it easy for the first 50-100 miles to get the sealants, etc off the tires.

When I got my first tires, I wanted ANYTHING but the stock Dunlops. That groove around the center caused the bike to shake back and forth slightly as the tire groove interacted with the edges of the rain grooves on the freeway. On asphalt they were OK, but on grooved concrete freeways, oy vey! I hated that and couldn't wait for them to wear out. I went to my dealer, where I bought the bike because they have the best prices on tires and installation if you bought the bike from them. I went in for one tire (forget which) they quoted me over the phone but they didn't have it when I got there. I thought "bait and switch" but they offered me a Bridgestone Battlax, which is a more expensive tire than I wanted, for the same price they had quoted me. Now I have Bridgestone Battlax front and rear and like them a heck of a lot more than the Dunlops. I also had them put on angled valve stems. I had been told they help, but I feel that my dealer pointed them the wrong direction. They do help. The Dunlops were a good tire, but that groove drove me nuts and I will never put that model of tire back on. I see that Dunlop has a new tire, and I may try that one someday. If your dealer won't sell you anything but Dunlops, go to another dealer--for everything, not just tires. _____________________________________ raulb
i  mg]    2003 Connie  COG