• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

"Deals Gap? Never heard of it."

For many of you this will be an old story, still I hope you enjoy it.  For many of you this may be a new story, and if you like riding the awesome C10, on amazing roads, at nine-tenths, you’ll really like it.

My son Joe invited me to join him and 3 of his Colorado Sport Bike Club buddies, on a week’s long visit to Deals Gap.  I immediately said yes, then googled “Deals Gap” to figure out what I was in for.  Holy batman!!!  How many bikers have died on this stretch of highway??!!

Joe lives in Colorado and I live in Pittsburgh so I don’t get to see him as much as I’d like, so I was pretty much willing to risk life and limb for a whole week with him, potential casualties (likely mine) or not.  So, early on Memorial Day Saturday, bags packed and repacked, fresh Avon’s spooned on, and wearing my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants, I headed out the driveway for the quick 10-hour ride down to Robbinsvile, North Carolina. 

Getting to the vacation house Joe had rented for the week meant that I had to ride THROUGH Deals Gap to get to the house.  Riding through “The Dragon” for the first time, at the end of a 10-hour ride, is not something I’d recommend.  Still, I made it through, somehow unscathed.

Over the next week I spent every day-lit minute in motorcycle Heaven.  We spent countless hours doing The Dragon, Moonshiner28,  Cherohala Skyway, Route 348 down in Georgia, and parts in between.  If you’ve been there you know what I mean.  If you haven’t, do yourself a major favor and get this on your Bucket list, up near the top.

Okay, I’ll get to the point of my story.  Joe’s buddies were all on current-generation 600 cc sportbikes, and my son was riding a tricked out DRZ400SM supermoto.  And there I was on my 600 pound, red 2003 Connie.  Early on I tried to ride fast but after 3 mind-numbing, oh-sh!t, near-wrecks, I finally started to learn:  1. Relax, 2. brake smoothly, 3. look into the turn, 4. hold your line, 5. accelerate smoothly.  Surprise, if you stay relaxed it works!  I’m starting to have serious FUN!!

The crowning moment came on day 3, during a 'very spirited' run we took on the Cherohala Skyway, me pulling up the rear.  Me and my Connie stayed with them though, having scraped my very first C10 pegs (both sides) the day before.  As they pulled into a scenic overlook, I was only a second or so behind them.  Joe told me later that the most skilled rider in the group leaned over to him when he saw me pull in right behind them, and said, “I didn’t expect to see HIM so soon.”  Sweet.

I rode the piss out of that bike for 7 days, put over 2,300 miles on her, revved the engine with total abandon (but nothing above 8 grand).  She didn’t miss a beat, didn’t use any oil, didn’t overheat, and with her Dale Walkers, sounded like a symphony the whole time.  I was continually in awe that whatever I the b@lls to ask from that 25-year-old design, she delivered.  And in comfort and classic good looks.

Sorry for the long post, ya’ll, but I love this bike.

Ride safe.

Love the write-up! 

I did Deals Gap on my 2011 C14 just a few months ago.  One pass through and I'm a better rider.  The experience is intense.  I'll need to do it another 20 times before I'm comfortable enough to actually look at the scenery. 

I never cease to be surprised at the ability of my bike.  Like you said: relax, trust, be smooth, enjoy!

Glad you had a good time. But your right, it's a familiar story to a lot of us. I think I went three or four years in a row. I didn't plan on the last year. But then COG decided to have the national rally at Fontana dam on rt 28 back in 2009. So again I had to go!  :)

InternalCombustion said:
3. look into the turn,

You have learned the first part about target fixation, and looking at where you want to be. When you are going fast around the curve, it is too tempting to look at the ditch, or the SUV coming the other direction, but the bike will tend to go where you look. Look through the curve, and you will increase your chances of getting through the curve exponentially.

One afternoon the old man traded bikes with my son.  Here's a pic of him doing his best to drag a knee on my Connie.  :motonoises:

He's crazy, what can I say...

Attachments

• The Dragon 11.jpg
    The Dragon 11.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 127
Looks like good form.  Peg feeler looks no where close though.  I thought you dragged a peg.  Maybe you are just better.

smithr-scad said:
Looks like good form.  Peg feeler looks no where close though.  I thought you dragged a peg.  Maybe you are just better.

"...Maybe you are just better"  I wish.  Nope, he's waaay better than me.  This was just a 'slow' corner.  Plus, dragging a knee is so hardparts DON'T touch.  :)

I never got any shots of me dragging pegs, but judging by the rear tire's chicken strips, it was way over when I did it.  Scared the crap out of me the first time.

If you are going to stick your knee out like that I hope you got kneesliders on it! I like to hang off the bike  little, but I always keep my knee tucked in. I would rather grind a peg than a kneecap.

What happens if you are dragging a knee on the street and your knee hits a crack in the pavement or a frost heave or a pothole?

WillyP said:
What happens if you are dragging a knee on the street and your knee hits a crack in the pavement or a frost heave or a pothole?

I can tell ya what happens when you catch your knee on a 'turtle' or reflector, without need pucks on.  It's a long ride home with a broken patella.

Greg said:
www.killboy.com

killer pictures of that road and others.  Burnt up about 3 hours last night looking at pages of pictures.

8) 8) 8) 8)

The photos don't do it justice.  There are sections where the up-down-left-right transitions are so intense you just laugh like a maniac into your helmet (when you're not soiling your skivvies).  Once you gain familiarity, a rythym builds, and its a freaking drug.

The real hoot is, because there are zip-zero-nada businesses or residences on the Dragon, nor on Cherohala Skyway, you don't have to worry about cars and kids coming out of driveways.  You just have to put up with cruiser dudes and the occassional cager.  Semi's are supposed to be restricted on the Dragon but we saw three while we are there.  Scares the crap out of you because some of the corners are so insane that a semi will block both lanes making the curve.

Other than that it's the most amazing riding area I've ever been in.  And if you come up on a local cager driving through the twisties, 9 out of 10 of them will pull over and let you pass.

Sweet.

cool, glad you had a great time. 
Really cool you had your son and friends to share it with.
My son is only 9. So I have to wait a few yrs.

Took my 1st trip the down on 7/9/11... cannot believe, I had the bike over a yr and just made that ride.
Don't you hate when work gets in the way of such fun.  I had not been on a good ride in weeks.

Needing some down time.
I just hopped on that sat at 8am and headed north. 
I live  North of Birmingham, al. off I-59
Took what ever road I felt like.
Next thing I know I am an hr from there.
                    Off I went!

got home at 10:30 that night.
took a week+ for my tale bone to recover.

Butt  ;D , it was worth every ache and groan. ;D

Got to do something with that stock seat... it's a bun burner for sure.

wife thought I was nuts.  :))  but it is fun being cwazy!!! 

Hmm... wonder if I could sneak off again this weekend?  >:D

Attachments

• 07a.jpg
    07a.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 83
Friends of mine are trying to get me to go to Deals Gap the whole week of Labor Day. I've been riding for years, but not really been a twisty-road, lean-it-over kinda guy, but this is my first "sporty" bike. I'm getting more confident, but believe I am far from peg dragging and have about a half inch chicken strip on my OEM Bridgestones.

Since they're all riding sport bikes (several Ducati's, CBR, etc) and have all done either actual racing or numerous track days (I've done neither), I'm sure I'm not going to make ANY attempt to keep up, but am thinking of going. (By the way, did I say that I'm in my 50's and the rest of them are 40's-50's.)

Suggestions?

I'm entertaining an idea of a C-C ride and incorporating a couple days in that area to ride it all. 

If you are even remotely close to it, jump at the chance.  I've spent days at www.killboy.com looking over pictures, and it sure seems like a good time.  Fast or slow (and i'm a wide chicken strip guy too).

The Dragons not really that bad, I usually ride it only about 2 or 3 times a year and only live about 2 hours away.  Too busy a place to really get sideways.  There are much better roads around here for that kinda stuff, unless you wanted your picture taken :) If you go on the dragon, just go YOUR pace and take your time.  There are pull offs, or of the SS's want to pass you they will.

Greg said:
I'm entertaining an idea of a C-C ride and incorporating a couple days in that area to ride it all. 

Ditto SteveJ.

The last day I was there I planned a route that would take me through the Dragon and back, through Moonshiner28 and back and out Cherohala Skyway and back.  Made for an freaking awesome day.  The only problem I see in trying to do this entire area in just a few days is that it's just like a track day.  Every pass you make on any of these roads, particularly the Dragon, allows you to learn more, hone your skills and technique more and have more fun with fewer "Oh sh!t" moments.  At least for me that's the way it was.

Certainly you could just spend a day or two or three, and if that's all you had the time or money for, and it would still be awesome.  Spending a full week there is as close to doing drugs as I ever want to get.  :motonoises:  What was interesting is that Joe and his buddies rented that really sweet 3 bedroom house for the week and each person's share was less than $50 a night.  Attached garage for the bikes, rec room, hot tub, cable, wifi, etc.  Can't beat that in a hotel-motel.

As God gives me breath, I'm going back next year for another week.