• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Debating between Victory Cross Country Tour and C14 - Comfort with accessories

bryk

Tricycle
I'm currently riding a Kawasaki Ninja 650R, and for the last year or so have been considering when I have the $ to purchase a Concours (2010+).

If I were to purchase a C14, I would probably go for the Helibars, Corbin seat with Queen seat, highway pegs, and still have to find some passenger armrests.

My goal is to have a comfortable ride for myself and to be able to take trips with the GF.  She of course wants a queen seat setup.

Anyone with any experience with trying to add comfort to the C14? 

I like the sporty feel to my 650R especially in corners(I've added a Givi 46 trunk and have some soft saddlebags for longer trips), however the seat comfort even with a corbin leaves a lot to be desired.

So I come here to ask, can the C14 be the bike for me?  Or do I have to go to a Cruiser tourer (or the dreaded goldwing) if I want comfort.

I'm not one for performance mods, and while I love acceleration I have no desire to spend much if any time in the triple digits.  I also take corners cautiously, especially blind corners to the point where my brother has to ride his cruiser further back.  Yes I only have 4 years riding experience but am comfortable with my 650R, just don't like blind turns and sitting on a highway for long on it (cross winds especially).

Any comments feedback is appreciated.

I figured accessories would be the best forums since those who are looking to make a C14 as comfortable as possible are most liking ones who have accessorized.

Thank you!

I've never ridden the Victory so I can't comment to it's comfort, but for me, the C-14 offers everything I want in a Motorcycle for touring. 

1) Good weather protection
2) Good handling
3) Excellent power delivery
4) Good comfort *(with some mods)
5) Well supported by the community

For me getting the C-14 comfy requiired bar risers, a Russel Saddle and an electronic Cruise control...I've taken it all over the east coast (From NY to FL) and have been fine. But each person is different,  I'd suggest going to a dealer and sitting on one (and seeing if you can test ride)

Welcome and congrats on whatever bike you decide to get  :)

Having made the switch from a cruiser (Yamaha Warrior) to a C14 and now with a few thousand miles on it, quite a few of them two-up, I can comment a bit. 

First things first - ride both before you buy.  I know that Victory does do a test ride program, and you ought to be able to find a used C14 somewhere to take out for a ride.  As you can imagine, the riding position will be very different, and everything about how they handle and accelerate will feel very differently. 

With regards to comfort - there's no doubt that you can set up the Victory to feel like your living room couch for both pilot and pillion, should you choose to do so.  The C14 will always feel more sporty, even with highway pegs, since you'll need to get your feet under you to shift and brake.  The pillion will also be a bit more cramped, but a set of peg lowering brackets from Motorcycle Larry (I got these) make a world of difference.  You'll be much more relaxed on the Victory at the cost of cornering ability and clearance. 

Finally, speaking as someone who also takes blind corners slowly and always errs on the side of caution after seeing my best friend go into shock at the side of the road after a bad crash - a cruiser/tourer may be the bike for you if you have no aspirations of aggressive riding.  The C14 is a hell of a bike and can keep up with supersports if ridden well; if comfort and riding carefully are more important, its qualities may be wasted on you.

Ride them both, see what you think.  I've been thinking about a Victory Cross Country, as well. 

Bryk,
I used to own a 650R as well.  Mine was an 07 model.  I initially wanted to use it for sport touring but found it too small, particularly on the highway, for that use.  it was a fun bike for curvy roads, but didn't have a broad enough use for me.

I've also done a number of years on a cruiser.  in my case a vulcan 1500 classic that I had set up for touring.  I found it very comfortable for me, especially with a driver backrest and risers.  I did Iron Butt rides on it, if that gives you an idea.

The thing you might be disappointed with, assuming you're coming from a 650R is the cruiser pace.  I discovered that it didn't suit my style, so started looking for the sport tourer arena.  The plus I also found was for my wife that rides with me.  She was far more comfortable on the C10 seat, and I suspect the S14 is going to be even better.  I've got a givi trunk, so she can sit back and relax while the miles role by.

In general, you're going to get a bias here toward the C14 because many of us happen to like the bike and the style of riding.  I'd suggest that you ask yourself what style YOUR riding habits fit into.  Both are good bikes, but made for different styles.

just my 2 cents worth.  ;)

Is Corbin the only one that makes a queen seat for the C14?

Is the Russel saddle only for the rider?

I've test rode a Cross Country, not the Tour yet(they are getting it in in two weeks)

Thank you Marc and Yuri.

Yuri, mind expanding on why you are thinking about a Victory Cross Country?

The reason on why I currently have it down to these two is since the price range is reasonable. (K1600 GTL being $25000) versus 13,800 for a C14(at a local dealer).  As for the Victory Cross Country Tour (XCT) it comes stock with almost everything I could want if I go for a cruiser.  Maybe just add Helibars to that or just go with the 2 inch pull back handlebar risers, trunk rack.  Has cruise, but no adjustable windshield(which is probably the biggest issue I can find).

It seems very rare that anyone goes with the corbin queen seat for the C14, I'm sure it greatly effects handling and makes it feel more top heavy.

For the Russel day long, can it also lower the seat height?  C14 stock is a bit high for me and I can't flat foot both feet(30 inch inseam).  I believe the Corbin is supposed to lower it a bit.

The Russel is a custom saddle where you send them your stock seat pan and they custom make it for you. You can get it made solo *(for rider only and they leave the passenger area stock) or dual where they mold for both rider and passenger

It doesn't lower the bike, if anything it actually makes you stand on toes more since the wings of the saddle push out on your legs a bit (You get used to it)  but for LONG miles it is the bees knees IMHO.  Some people don't like them, others swear by them.    There are so many options for seats that I  would not allow that to sway your decision, no matter what bike you get it's going to be a trial and error process to get it setup right for you...

Sport Rider said:
Bryk,
I used to own a 650R as well.  Mine was an 07 model.  I initially wanted to use it for sport touring but found it too small, particularly on the highway, for that use.  it was a fun bike for curvy roads, but didn't have a broad enough use for me.

I've also done a number of years on a cruiser.  in my case a vulcan 1500 classic that I had set up for touring.  I found it very comfortable for me, especially with a driver backrest and risers.  I did Iron Butt rides on it, if that gives you an idea.

The thing you might be disappointed with, assuming you're coming from a 650R is the cruiser pace.  I discovered that it didn't suit my style, so started looking for the sport tourer arena.  The plus I also found was for my wife that rides with me.  She was far more comfortable on the C10 seat, and I suspect the S14 is going to be even better.  I've got a givi trunk, so she can sit back and relax while the miles role by.

In general, you're going to get a bias here toward the C14 because many of us happen to like the bike and the style of riding.  I'd suggest that you ask yourself what style YOUR riding habits fit into.  Both are good bikes, but made for different styles.

just my 2 cents worth.  ;)

Very insightful.

I've read a bit about the C14 valves, how often do they need to be checked/adjusted and how much $ ~ for service?  I love the idea of the tetra lever shaft.

How is the cross wind on the C14?  Issue/non-issue?  Thinking about highway comfort.  I try to avoid them like the plague, but if you have to get to your destination I don't want it to be that bad in the comfort.

I have a tendency to value comfort/functionality over performance.

On even more of a side note, has anyone added a stereo/ipod setup on a C14 for both the rider and pillion?

I have a pair of Scala G4s but want to use them for communication and not have to give up music.  Another compliant from the GF.

Ultimately, yes I may be trying to find the ultimate bike.

I want a bike that I have no reservations commuting 15 minutes to work (650R - check), Day trips on back roads 200-300 miles (650R - a bit sore - but ok),  - Multi-day/weekend trips (650R - not so good).

I guess I am starting to entertain the idea from my brother to get a touring cruiser more and more each day.  However I would really like the sporty feel to be there with the comfort.

The K1600GTL seems to pull back the handlebars stock and tries a little bit to offer it.  Passenger comfort doesn't seem to be there as much, and obviously stock the C14 isn't there either.

I guess with the more relaxed cruising position and comfort for the straight aways and highways I couldn't probably beat the XCT, however the fun it is to rip it coming out of turns ....  Just seems like a hard choice.

I have to research the heli bars more.  See how fast they are to adjust.  Just trying to imagine a on the fly helibar handlebar adjustment on the road (yes transformers comes to mind), and yes it would obviously be dangerous.

Mad River Marc said:
The Russel is a custom saddle where you send them your stock seat pan and they custom make it for you. You can get it made solo *(for rider only and they leave the passenger area stock) or dual where they mold for both rider and passenger

It doesn't lower the bike, if anything it actually makes you stand on toes more since the wings of the saddle push out on your legs a bit (You get used to it)  but for LONG miles it is the bees knees IMHO.  Some people don't like them, others swear by them.    There are so many options for seats that I  would not allow that to sway your decision, no matter what bike you get it's going to be a trial and error process to get it setup right for you...

I'm afraid that seems to be the re-occuring theme.  Add comfort - add overall seat height, remove seat height, lose comfort.

BMW seems to be resolving that issue on the K1600GTL.    Probably worth at least sitting on one, even though I could never justify the cost.  And could the passenger seat be modded for enough comfort?  Speaker setup seems insufficient as well.

You guys are all probably laughing at me and saying, "This guy is going to end up with a Goldwing".  Sigh.

Sport-Tourers have their work cut out for them.  A co-worker just bought a BMW F800ST, stock it's handlebars are sportbike bars.  Can you really just slap hard bags on a bike and call it a tourer?  I would like to think, no you can't. 

Have your GF sit on both of them for a while with you on the front.  Better yet, if you can, test ride or rent for a day.  I was kind of surprised at my wife's reaction to my C10 seating.  I really expected her to find the cruiser better, but she preferred the other.  And this comes from a lady that doesn't like riding all that much, but endured a 500 mile trip (each way) to daytona on the back of the cruiser with me.  She really liked the connie seat and backrest, and I liked the style of riding, so it was a win/win.

Bryk,  As Roy D. Mercer would put it.  "How big a boy are ya?"  That can make a big difference in seat comfort and getting a seat and bike that fits you.

Loren

Well, as I said, i'm not really riding that hard, and a cruiser may end up being more my pace, being a slow and safe rider first. The Connie is plenty fast, but it's not quite all comfortable, though i'm looking for a Corbin seat to help that.

Bryk said:
Is Corbin the only one that makes a queen seat for the C14?

Is the Russel saddle only for the rider?

I've test rode a Cross Country, not the Tour yet(they are getting it in in two weeks)

Thank you Marc and Yuri.

Yuri, mind expanding on why you are thinking about a Victory Cross Country?

The reason on why I currently have it down to these two is since the price range is reasonable. (K1600 GTL being $25000) versus 13,800 for a C14(at a local dealer).  As for the Victory Cross Country Tour (XCT) it comes stock with almost everything I could want if I go for a cruiser.  Maybe just add Helibars to that or just go with the 2 inch pull back handlebar risers, trunk rack.  Has cruise, but no adjustable windshield(which is probably the biggest issue I can find).

It seems very rare that anyone goes with the corbin queen seat for the C14, I'm sure it greatly effects handling and makes it feel more top heavy.

For the Russel day long, can it also lower the seat height?  C14 stock is a bit high for me and I can't flat foot both feet(30 inch inseam).  I believe the Corbin is supposed to lower it a bit.

One thing to consider,  if you are going to be commuting daily on it,  the adjustable windshield really is a nice thing to have (When it starts raining I can raise it and get less wet)

As for the maint,  any bike is going to have maint costs,  the C-14 has  15K valve inspect/adjust interval for US bikes (24k for the rest of the world for some reason)  and yes it's not a cheap thing to have done (I will be doing it myself).

One other thing you MAY want to consider (and I know this is blasphemy here on the C-14 boards), but given what you are describing your needs as,  I would actually recommend either an FJR1300 or a St1300

Reasons are:

1) They are a bit less "Sporty" then the C-14, they have plenty of get up and go, but are a bit more comfort oriented
2) THey run on regular (87 octane) gas, whereas the C-14 must have min of 91 octane
3) The FJR has a 24k Valve adjust interval and is easier to get to the valves (actually harder to do the actual adjust but easer to GET to so  it's cheaper)
4) They are less "aggressive" in the ergos then the C-14 and can be easily made to fit...
5) The Linked brakes on both of those bikes are WAY less annoying then the linked brakes on the 2010+ C-14

I had an FJR prior to this and LOVED it,  I'd have another one except that the dealers wouldn't budge off sticker when I wrecked...Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my C-14 (I mean really love it!!!!)  but for what you want, I think the FJR or ST would be a better choice  (For me I felt that with a simple heli bar riser setup the ergos of the bars were PEREFCT on the FJR whereas I am looking at LSL risers for the Connie)

Just something to think about

Loren said:
Bryk,  As Roy D. Mercer would put it.  "How big a boy are ya?"  That can make a big difference in seat comfort and getting a seat and bike that fits you.

Loren

5'10", 190lbs.  Long torso, 30 inch inseam.  Short arms(which is why I put a big emphasis on risers, etc).

Bryk,  you would not be real hard to fit for a custom seat for comfort.  Seat height can get about 1/2 lower than stock and not give up much in comfort IMHO.  Also making the front narrow helps with reach to the ground.

The passenger pillion can be made more comfortable too. 

Loren

Loren said:
Bryk,  you would not be real hard to fit for a custom seat for comfort.  Seat height can get about 1/2 lower than stock and not give up much in comfort IMHO.  Also making the front narrow helps with reach to the ground.

The passenger pillion can be made more comfortable too. 

Loren

I'm not sure that 1/2 an inch would be enough, and I would rather not have to slide forward to the front narrow part.

Can anyone attest to the Corbin queen seat?  Anyone try the helibars yet?

The corbin seat from what I've heard has been compared to a nice gentle pad of Concrete :)    Some like it, others dont

There is one person on the forums (BDF) who uses a Corbin with an Airhawk and finds it perfect (he just did a 50CC with that setup)

You can't judge from others peoples thoughts on a seat. Especially when they haven't even tried the seat for themselves. You really need to try them fir yourself. I had a Corbin. Although it was a normal heated Corbin for the C14. I don't know what a queen seat is to be honest. The Corbin was an awesome seat. It took a little while to brake in. And was a very firm seat. I used the Airhawk on it. I thought it sucked with the Airhawk. Sold the Airhawk. I went with an Alaskan Sheep Skin on my Corbin. It proved to be a great combination. A firm seat with the warm/cooling effect and cushioning from the sheep skin. Plus unlike most of the other seats I've been on like Russell and Sargent, the Corbin doesn't crown you in the seat. I like room to move a little. The Corbin affords you room. The others have pressure on both your butt and the twins at the same time. But some people like having the twins crushed into the tank! Just not me. So I used a very nice roomy Corbin.  :))

I think that's a problem.  Is that stock just isn't good enough.  So even if I look into renting a C14 to test it on a day trip, it won't give me a good enough idea.  After modding my 650R as much as I did, I rather not have to go down the path of mod chasing for comfort.  Just because sitting on sometime for 5 minutes feels comfortable doesn't mean it will after 6-8 hours of riding.

That's my fear with the C14, is that I fear that I will always be chasing after better comfort.

I don't feel like I am asking for too much modification for the C14, just pulled back handlebars, a queen seat setup (for 2 up) and a comfortable seat that I can flat foot both feet.  Or at least I would like to believe I'm not asking for too much.

I sent Corbin a message asking if they still make the trunkbox (I call it queen seat - as it seems as close as you're going to get for the concours) for the 2010+ and no response yet.  Anyone know?

I understand that 70 liter topbox is going to cause some to have top heavy concerns and I have them as well. 

I do enjoy my twins being crushed into the tank.  Lets be honest and say thats the only time they are being used, anyway.

Actually, I dont mind the stock seat and have never crushed anything on the tank.  A lot of the impressions of the bike get changed based on what you rode before.  My other bike is an sv 650s and the seat on it is amazingly bad compared to the concours 14.

I feel like mine is very comfortable, but comfort is not the highlight of the bike.  The power, handling and brakes on this machine are amazing.

Boy there sure seems to be a lot of questions, if the choice is a victory or c14, they are two very different bikes the victory is an amazing ride if that is the style of bike you like get one of those they are super smooth very quiet if you want or louder, I really dont know why everyone talkes about the many differing seat styles I went to a local seat shop had the stock seat remade and added heating seats for less than $400 where as the corbins, or baldwin or russel seats could range in the $800+. but once you test a victory its hard not to say no, many of my friends have traded in harleys for victory, they are just a nice bike they work well, and I would say vibrate less than my c14, that is just my opinion, I just like the feel of the c14 currently maybe in 10 years or so Ill change to a victory/ harley style of riding.

Cboothe said:
Boy there sure seems to be a lot of questions, if the choice is a victory or c14, they are two very different bikes the victory is an amazing ride if that is the style of bike you like get one of those they are super smooth very quiet if you want or louder, I really dont know why everyone talkes about the many differing seat styles I went to a local seat shop had the stock seat remade and added heating seats for less than $400 where as the corbins, or baldwin or russel seats could range in the $800+. but once you test a victory its hard not to say no, many of my friends have traded in harleys for victory, they are just a nice bike they work well, and I would say vibrate less than my c14, that is just my opinion, I just like the feel of the c14 currently maybe in 10 years or so Ill change to a victory/ harley style of riding.

I guess that is part of the problem.  I'm trying to consider the Victory and be open to change.

By the time I add all the modifications to the C14 to get it close to what I want it will probably be around the cost of the Cross Country Tour.

Between Seat modification, trunk box/queen seat setup, possible windshield, handlebar/risers, stereo?, cruise control/throttle lock?

Maybe if someone made a bike somewhere in the middle?  Ha ha.

I'm kind of shocked no one is putting it all together yet.  Perhaps make it in two versions.  One stock like a C14, and one fulled equipped for $5k more with all the comforts, etc.  Here's to hoping Kawi makes a K1600 GTL version of the C14 some day, just does it right and for less.

Am I wrong for wanting the ability to have comfort and power all on one bike?  :)

Well, BMW did a great job if you don't mind $10,000 more.  :)

I think someone mentioned above about the Honda ST1300.  Have you looked at that?  I'm not sure what they put on it as options these days.

Sport Rider said:
Well, BMW did a great job if you don't mind $10,000 more.  :)

I think someone mentioned above about the Honda ST1300.  Have you looked at that?  I'm not sure what they put on it as options these days.

Seems like they stopped the ST1300 as of 2010 from the research that I've done.

Well not only the $10k more, also the BMW service which apparently the valves need to be checked every 18k miles and apparently a lot needs to be done to get to the valves to check them.  Not sure I want a $1000 service fee every one to two years. 

Unfortunately it seems that BMW created a performance bike and then, put the rider and passenger on.  Versus the goldwing that started with the rider and passenger and built a bike around them.

Not sure I could justify the cost of the GTL when it still lacks in some areas(comfort/convenience).

Bryk said:
Well not only the $10k more, also the BMW service which apparently the valves need to be checked every 18k miles and apparently a lot needs to be done to get to the valves to check them.  Not sure I want a $1000 service fee every one to two years. 

The C-14 will be in that range for Valve checks/adjusts..this is why I am doing ti myself (It's not difficult TO do but you have to disassemble a large portion of the bike to GET to the valves)

I believe I also mentioned the FJR1300....it's a solid alternative and MUCH less expensive to service

There is no such thing as a motorcycle that will fit comfortably and do everything you want. Every bike has it characterististics that might make it the best at something. But a lot of times having the positives of being the best at one thing, means it also gets the negative effects on something else. You need to decide what your main qualities that you require out of a motorcycle, are first.
If it's power, then the C14 is not it. Don't get me wrong, sport tours motorcycles hold their own just fine. But a ZX14 or ZX10 will embarrass a C14, if it's all about power and speed. But then say touring, and the GoldWing, Ultra Classic, Vision, Voyager and a few others come to mind. Say looking good with the low end growl and torque. Then we talk Victory, Harley's, and quite a few of the Japanese cruisers out there. But every motorcycle I referred to here, has it's strong points. But with every strong point, it's off set by what could be considered a negative against the bike.
The closest thing you will get to a bike that has decent power and speed, touring ability and cruising ability, is a sport tour. I isn't the best at anything. But it does everything well. And like I said, no bike will fit everyone comfortably. So adjustments sometimes need to be made. The first thing you need to decide, is what type of bike fits your needs. Then look at the different motorcycles in that classification. Trying to choose between a Victory and a C14 truly sounds like you have no idea what you want. You need to know that first!  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
There is no such thing as a motorcycle that will fit comfortably and do everything you want. Every bike has it characterististics that might make it the best at something. But a lot of times having the positives of being the best at one thing, means it also gets the negative effects on something else. You need to decide what your main qualities that you require out of a motorcycle, are first.
If it's power, then the C14 is not it. Don't get me wrong, sport tours motorcycles hold their own just fine. But a ZX14 or ZX10 will embarrass a C14, if it's all about power and speed. But then say touring, and the GoldWing, Ultra Classic, Vision, Voyager and a few others come to mind. Say looking good with the low end growl and torque. Then we talk Victory, Harley's, and quite a few of the Japanese cruisers out there. But every motorcycle I referred to here, has it's strong points. But with every strong point, it's off set by what could be considered a negative against the bike.
The closest thing you will get to a bike that has decent power and speed, touring ability and cruising ability, is a sport tour. I isn't the best at anything. But it does everything well. And like I said, no bike will fit everyone comfortably. So adjustments sometimes need to be made. The first thing you need to decide, is what type of bike fits your needs. Then look at the different motorcycles in that classification. Trying to choose between a Victory and a C14 truly sounds like you have no idea what you want. You need to know that first!  ;)

A comfortable tourer with power.  Both a Victory Cross Country Tour and the C14 seem to fit the bill to me.  Sure, one is a sport tourer and the other is a cruiser tourer.  My point is that I just don't see any other options out there.  Most models seem too dated to consider, or are just lacking in features.

The FJR1300 is out, only 5 gears on a sport tourer is just unacceptable.  It seems like it has a few nice features though.

Obviously there is a balance to be made between comfort, power and cost.  Seeing as I only rip the throttle when I can maintain a second rule ratio to my speed, then yeah perhaps I don't even need the power the C14 has to offer.

I'm not sure how you can say these two bikes are that different, other than posture.  Both try to be a comfortable, powerful touring motorcycle.

Bryk said:
The FJR1300 is out, only 5 gears on a sport tourer is just unacceptable.  It seems like it has a few nice features though.

Don't let that phase you,  I had an FJR for 14k miles and never once felt like the 5 speed was a problem,  it cruises at a nice low RPM,  gas mileage was great and it had gobstoppers of acceleration.  If you don't want one that's fine, but I just don't want you to think a 5 speed is a problem...it's not in any way shape or form an issue :)

Also, power is a relative thing.  What one defines as power is subjective.  I demo rode a Victory Vision (which I assume to be comparable to the CC Tour in the engine department).  I found it to be a real dog and immediately dismissed it from my consideration.  When I twisted the throttle, it only gradually delivered power to me.  My Vulcan Classic did better in the power deparment (IMHO).

The true, ultimate, sport tourer. GL1800. All the comfort and features you want, torque like there is no tomorrow, quiet, and can surpise the hell out of ST owners in the twisties. More normal riding position, not cruiser riding position.  And its got the monster price tag too. Its got it all.

Mad River Marc said:
Bryk said:

Don't let that phase you,  I had an FJR for 14k miles and never once felt like the 5 speed was a problem,  it cruises at a nice low RPM,  gas mileage was great and it had gobstoppers of acceleration.  If you don't want one that's fine, but I just don't want you to think a 5 speed is a problem...it's not in any way shape or form an issue :)

How is the 5th gear geared, like an overdrive?  Do you have to downshift to pass, or?

Still seems a bit dated, maybe they will update it soon.

As for the Gold wing, perhaps if I can get it in yellow(2013 color?).  Being visible is really important to me.  I'm not sure why I'm shying away from it.

Maybe I feel too young for it?  If they ever decide to do a major update to it I would probably consider it stronger.

Since I'm looking for a bike to keep for a long time, resale value isnt important, but having the best technology does matter.

Royal Star is still carb - like ouch.... ha ha.

I could easily pass in 5th on the slab when I wanted to...sometimes I'd stomp it down a gear or 2, but it was powerful enough that I didn't really need to...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see you on a C-14,  but given the requirments you have (Ease of maint, cheap maint etc) I think the FJR is a better choice....

Just my 0.02

Actually, it's the opposite of what you think. Like Marc, I have owned both the C14 and now an FJR. You do not really notice only having five gears on the FJR. It does turn just a hair higher RPM on the highway. But you do not feel a need to shift. The FJR 5 speed IMO, has a much better power band than the C14. And until the newer C14 with the economy mode. The FJR got much better fuel mileage to boot. With the economy mode, now they are about the same on MPG. The difference between the C14 and the FJR, is that you may find yourself having to down shift out of 6th gear. With the better power band on the FJR, there is less need to downshift. The downshifting would be more of a problem of having more gears (if you feel it's a problem). But I truly do not feel a need for the 6th gear. But it doesn't hurt either. I feel it doesn't really matter on these two bikes.
Now yes the FJR is a older design. But unless your Freddie Spencer or something, there truly is not much difference. The performance of the FJR and C14 is so close that it's about the rider, not the bike. And the FJR would blow the Victory out of the water.
There is no comparison between the Victory and the C14 or FJR. The Victory is a V twin (good torque, but much less horse power). Handling will more than likely be a joke compared to the C14 or FJR. But it could be comfortable for the long trip. I have owned V twins and do so now. I have also owned a C14, FJR, two C10 Concours. To say the Victory and C14 are in the same class, is almost silly. If you want a tour bike, look in the tour bike class. Or if you want a sport tour, look in the sport tour class. But the Victory and the C14 are two totally different motorcycles. The only thing they share is that you can carry clothing with you, and the have two wheels. That's about it!

What RPMs are you at on the C14 in 6th going 70 MPH versus 5th on the FJR?  Hearing the engine having to work for it, just gets old when you are cruising along.

What I want in a bike is to be able to just ride it to whatever destination I have.  Don't want to trailer it.  I want to be able to take a trip to the tail of the dragon every few years and enjoy that.  While I greatly prefer to take back roads, it would be best to be able to feel comfortable cruising on a highway with no buffeting to get to other parts of the country as I have a lot of vacation time and want to be able to tour the country as I get older. 

With that in mind, can the C14 handle that in comfort? 

I feel as though I would prefer the C14 for tearing up the road in terms of enjoyment.  However I want to have the comfort and traveling distance available to me without fatigue. 

I understand sure, one is a V twin, but at 106CC, 1731cc it is going to have decent power and torque.  Sure the C14 has more power, right, I understand that and am not disputing it.  However am I wrong to say the C14 and the Cross Country Tour try to compromise and meet in the middle in terms of maximizing comfort and power?  Sure, your leg and body position is different, yes.

I think that's my problem,  I like the sporty position, and would want it especially if it had highway pegs setup for when you are just cruising.

The point is, I only want one bike, and I want to be able to enjoy it no matter what type of on road riding I am doing.  My brother joked with me that I should get the Super Tenere the other day, ha ha (too high of a seat and clear lack of comfort). 

Bryk said:

Yes, it can, and the C-14 is an AMAZING bike,  powerful, handles great and great features....  but you have said that you want something sporty that can do 2 up but will also be a reliable commuter.  The C-14 will do all that, but if I had that in mind I'd probably go for the FJR again.

REasons are:

1) FJR runs on regular gas (C-14 needs super)  if you are commuting this adds up
2) FJR has a longer range (My Gas light goes on around 180 on the C-14 whereas it went on at 230 on the FJR)
3) FJR has a much longer service interval
4) FJR has a less aggressive position out of the box
5) The linked brakes and ABS on the FJR are pretty well done, you don't really notice the Linking even when trail braking in a corner
6) Much more room under the seats and fairings to hide goodies

However the C-14 beats the FJR in the following categories

1) Weather protection (I felt it was better on the 2010 + then it was on the 09 FJR)
2) Power (it's a Detuned ZX14 motor,  it's an animal under the tank)
3) The shaft drive on the C-14 is better (Less prone to shaft jacking like other shafties do)
4) C-14 has a much stiffer frame which makes it nicer in the corners sometimes
5) The 2010+ have Traction Control (I love this feature)
6) 2010+ comes with heated grips stock

Both bikes have their share of issues to watch out for too:

FJR
1) Some bikes have ground spider problems (Just need to check them once every other year or so and clean them...)
2) There have been some reports of the cam chain tensioner getting weak and allowing the chain to skip grenading a motor as the bike ages (over 50k miles)  It's not common but it can happen,  a new CCT is about 70 bucks and I recommend changing it every 40k or 5 years which ever comes first (takes 5 minutes to change and is VERY easy to do)
3) Older FJR's had a problem with Ign wiring overheating and fusing the ign,  there was a recall for this and it has not happened since

C-14
1) have been problems with Kipass stranding some riders
2) Bags have flown off,  there was a recall but apparently it can still happen so people pin the bags
3) Intermittent FI error on display when passing high tension wires,,,,doesnt' affect the bike but it's annoying
4) Rear Brake levers were prone to having rocks stick the lever (Recall has fixed this issue)
5) Prone to warp brake rotors
6) Tire Pressure Sensor batteries don't last...  Often a warranty item but originally were not replaceable batteries,  there are now some places that can replace the batteries for you

Hope this helps

Mad River Marc said:
Bryk said:

Yes, it can, and the C-14 is an AMAZING bike,  powerful, handles great and great features....  but you have said that you want something sporty that can do 2 up but will also be a reliable commuter.  The C-14 will do all that, but if I had that in mind I'd probably go for the FJR again.

REasons are:

1) FJR runs on regular gas (C-14 needs super)  if you are commuting this adds up
2) FJR has a longer range (My Gas light goes on around 180 on the C-14 whereas it went on at 230 on the FJR)
3) FJR has a much longer service interval
4) FJR has a less aggressive position out of the box
5) The linked brakes and ABS on the FJR are pretty well done, you don't really notice the Linking even when trail braking in a corner
6) Much more room under the seats and fairings to hide goodies

However the C-14 beats the FJR in the following categories

1) Weather protection (I felt it was better on the 2010 + then it was on the 09 FJR)
2) Power (it's a Detuned ZX14 motor,  it's an animal under the tank)
3) The shaft drive on the C-14 is better (Less prone to shaft jacking like other shafties do)
4) C-14 has a much stiffer frame which makes it nicer in the corners sometimes
5) The 2010+ have Traction Control (I love this feature)
6) 2010+ comes with heated grips stock

Both bikes have their share of issues to watch out for too:

FJR
1) Some bikes have ground spider problems (Just need to check them once every other year or so and clean them...)
2) There have been some reports of the cam chain tensioner getting weak and allowing the chain to skip grenading a motor as the bike ages (over 50k miles)  It's not common but it can happen,  a new CCT is about 70 bucks and I recommend changing it every 40k or 5 years which ever comes first (takes 5 minutes to change and is VERY easy to do)
3) Older FJR's had a problem with Ign wiring overheating and fusing the ign,  there was a recall for this and it has not happened since

C-14
1) have been problems with Kipass stranding some riders
2) Bags have flown off,  there was a recall but apparently it can still happen so people pin the bags
3) Intermittent FI error on display when passing high tension wires,,,,doesnt' affect the bike but it's annoying
4) Rear Brake levers were prone to having rocks stick the lever (Recall has fixed this issue)
5) Prone to warp brake rotors
6) Tire Pressure Sensor batteries don't last...  Often a warranty item but originally were not replaceable batteries,  there are now some places that can replace the batteries for you

Hope this helps

It actually does.  Seems like if Yamaha does get around to updating the FJR I would just look for a 6th overdrive gear (again love cruising at low RPMs - when not in the twisties),  Traction control.  Adjustable windshield(if it doesn't have it already - done researching it for now). 

I would really love for Sport Tourers to now try to provide what the GTL does, but better and for less.  GTL has too many concerns for me, but it seems to have some nice comfort features that I would look for.  Again, what I am looking for is a bike that can get me to where I want to go, whether commuting, a weekend trip, or a trip to a different region of the country on both highway and backroads. 

Really like the option of 2 up sport touring.

No I will never try to be in the 10 minute club for the tail of the dragon, but I do enjoy ripping the twisties.

The FJR has an adjustable windshield Same as the C-14 does....

I'd say go test ride both and see which you like more..... :)

Your worried about RPM's and you are considering a V twin? To answer your question earlier (somewhat). My C14 would turn about 4,000 RPM's at 80 MPH. The red line is somewhere around 10K. The FJR is just a little over 4,000 at 80 MPH with a redline around 10K. The Victory will probably be turning about the same with a red-line of probably 6K. And your worried about the 5 speed on the FJR? You obviously have no idea!  :))
The FJR and C14 will cruise the highway comfortably all day long at 80MPH fully loaded and still get aproximately 45 MPG. They will run the back roads all day while making good time and while showing  you a great time in comfort. They will handle on said back roads without breaking a sweat. The Victory basiclly can't do any of that comfortably! Yet you seem to think it's in the same class of motorcycles with these sport tours.
I'm sorry but you should be looking a Goldwings, touring cruisers and such. It seems line you have no idea what these motorcycles are or what you want. To even compare these two bikes like you do shows it.

Cap'n Bob said:
Your worried about RPM's and you are considering a V twin? To answer your question earlier (somewhat). My C14 would turn about 4,000 RPM's at 80 MPH. The red line is somewhere around 10K. The FJR is just a little over 4,000 at 80 MPH with a redline around 10K. The Victory will probably be turning about the same with a red-line of probably 6K. And your worried about the 5 speed on the FJR? You obviously have no idea!  :))
The FJR and C14 will cruise the highway comfortably all day long at 80MPH fully loaded and still get aproximately 45 MPG. They will run the back roads all day while making good time and while showing  you a great time in comfort. They will handle on said back roads without breaking a sweat. The Victory basiclly can't do any of that comfortably! Yet you seem to think it's in the same class of motorcycles with these sport tours.
I'm sorry but you should be looking a Goldwings, touring cruisers and such. It seems line you have no idea what these motorcycles are or what you want. To even compare these two bikes like you do shows it.

The Victory Cross Country Tour is a touring cruiser, 1731CC, it is going to move....  Sure 115MPH topspeed.  It does have a redline of around 6k RPM, the 6th gear is an overdrive.  I doubt if my brother's roadstar in 5th gear(it's top) is under 3000RPMs at 75MPH that the big 106 cu in Victory Cross Country tour is going to have any problem cruising at 80mph.  With probably around 40MPG or just under and a 5.8 gallon tank (at that speed), closer to 50MPG around 55MPH.

Did you think I meant some smaller touring cruiser, or some non touring cruiser?

If you aren't familiar with the Victory here is a review:

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/first_rides_articles/11q3/2012_victory_cross_country_tour_-_first_ride

Seriously I sincerely doubt you would ever be happy on a C14.  It is not as comfortable in the traditional cruiser way as the VTwin you seem to be trying to compare the Connie to.  You CAN'T compare these bikes.  Well I guess you can, but it's more of a why are you???
I really really doubt a C14 would work for you.  I really really think you'd love the Victory or a Goldwing. 
BTW-I have ridden the Victory and it can't get out of it's own way IMO.

Jagman said:
BTW-I have ridden the Victory and it can't get out of it's own way IMO.

While the C14 will leave your shadow wondering how in the heck am I going to keep up.

Short of renting either one for a day I'm not sure how I will be able to decide.  However if the weather holds up I'll be taking my brother's Roadstar 1700cc out for a day trip up to Fort Ti in NY here. 

I believe after that I'll know if the Victory is an option.

If I haven't said it already, I've had my eye on the C14 for awhile now, but first had to come the house and the truck.  So next is the bike.

Any shorter riders have any comments on the C14, 30 inch inseam or less? 

How top heavy is it when 2 up?  Any comments on that?

I think the only dealer in my area that will let me actually move on the C14 lets you take it down a little alley way, surely not a true test for the C14.

Anyone familiar with the Super Tenere yet?  Obviously it won't be a C14 on the road, but it looks like with it's versatility I won't shy away from some dirt back roads which could be fun mixing it up like I did on my last trip out to Ohio through PA. 

I told my GPS to avoid highways and it kept taking us off route 6 at all costs.  Put us on some interesting dirt back roads, ha ha. 

I haven't ridden the Victory Cross Country Tour but I owned and put many 2 up miles on a Valkyrie and now ride a C14 as my 2 up bike. 

I have put the Corbin seat with the backrest and the Kawasaki brand trunk.  Overall my wife likes the C14 more than the Valkyrie, she is very comfortable with room to move around and the fun factor is much higher (she is a great passenger!).  We have not gone any long distances on the Connie yet but we have had several 150-200 mile days.

For me the Connie is a blast but for 2 up long distance riding the Valkyrie was a little nicer.  It felt less susceptible to crosswinds on the freeway with a passenger and the more relaxed riding position is less fatiguing.  The Connie is definitely more comfortable for me solo but it will be a great distance bike for us 2 up if I get the bar vibration worked out.  The added pressure of a passenger aggravates the issues that I have with hand numbness on the Connie.

peelandwin said:
I haven't ridden the Victory Cross Country Tour but I owned and put many 2 up miles on a Valkyrie and now ride a C14 as my 2 up bike. 

I have put the Corbin seat with the backrest and the Kawasaki brand trunk.  Overall my wife likes the C14 more than the Valkyrie, she is very comfortable with room to move around and the fun factor is much higher (she is a great passenger!).  We have not gone any long distances on the Connie yet but we have had several 150-200 mile days.

For me the Connie is a blast but for 2 up long distance riding the Valkyrie was a little nicer.  It felt less susceptible to crosswinds on the freeway with a passenger and the more relaxed riding position is less fatiguing.  The Connie is definitely more comfortable for me solo but it will be a great distance bike for us 2 up if I get the bar vibration worked out.  The added pressure of a passenger aggravates the issues that I have with hand numbness on the Connie.

Thank you pealandwin.

That's another point I want to put strong emphasis on, is 2 up.  I know very well that solo I'm sure the C14 is a totally different bike.  For everyone else how does it hold up when 2 up? 

Cross wind, top heavy.

I would consider getting a GiviV46 for it if Corbin doens't have an updated 70 trunkbox.

I use full face, and am going to be getting modulars and I love using the trunk for helmet storage so I don't really load it heavy, just might want some easy access items back in it.

Peelandwin - Did you add any sort of armrest for the passenger?

And for those saying the rides aren't the same - Yes, I understand on roads like the tail, sure the C14s greater clearance/lean angle and acceleration will take it apart, especially when solo.  However keep in mind that I am looking to be a one bike only owner and want a bike that will cover all the bases. 

I will definitely after a huge update after my ride tomororw.

I know the saying "to each their one" and that may what it comes down to.  However again to those who are saying these bikes are so different and they don't compare what does it come down to.  Just the raw acceleration and lean angle in turns?  Please keep in mind I don't have any desire to go into the triple digits (that clearly the C14 would offer).  Especially if any of you do aggressive 2 up.

Thank you!

Edit:  Anyone have experience on the Honda ST1300?  I am going to try to review that.  Mostly in terms of power/comfort compared to the C14.

I'm a honda fan in terms of longevity and it seems some reviews I am reading indicate the ST1300 lasts a long time.

Commander Montgomery Scott - "We will wallow like a garbage scow (Victory) against a warp driven starship (C14)!"

This comes down to comfort versus performance riding. When you answer that, you will know which one.

Safety wise, C14 with traction control and ABS is the best bank for the buck.

C14 with Givi V46, helmet locks, Cee Baileys Eurocut or Ultra Tour, add a Garmin/Techmount, and Scada BT intercom and that sounds like what you are looking for. For two up you should look at Jammin Jere's pillion peg kit for two up.....my wife loves 'em.

As long as it it two wheels and you are happy, get it. Don't fall prey to analysis paralysis ad infinitum. What ever gives you joy in riding, go for that.

C14 is not everbody's cup of tea, but for those who really ride them.......there is no peer for a sport tourer and price performance ratio.

Good luck on your demo!

greenman

Anyone know a place in the Northeast that would offer a serious demo or allows C14 rentals?

I'd be willing to pay a decent amount before making this decision to be able to take it for a weekend trip. 

There sure is a lot of good information in this thread. I am a former owner of a 2006 GL 1800, I sold it almost two years ago and took a time out from biking. About nine weeks ago I decided that I wanted to get back into biking and started the hunt for the ideal bike excluding another GL 1800. I will be turning 65 in seven weeks and decided that I did not want another bike as heavy as the GL 1800 and something that had good handling and had lots of power. Given that I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia the majority of my riding is in the mountains or along twisty two lane coastal roads, I avoid the freeway as much as I can. I do at least two major road trips a year usually to the southwest states or down the Oregon and California coast to San Diego.

I don’t think that there is a better touring bike than the GL 1800 if you want comfort, power and all the bells and whistles on a touring bike, just my opinion. I knew that if I purchased a sports touring bike that I would be giving up all the creature comforts of the GL 1800 and was well aware that you can’t have all the GL 1800 has to offer in comfort when moving over to sports touring bike. The GL 1800 and the Victory are a total different class of bike compared to a sport touring bike and you can most likely spend a significant amount of money on seats, cruise control, riding pegs etc. and never have the riding comfort that comes with a full size touring bike. The exception may be the new BMW K 1600 GTL but I was not interested in paying an extra 10k for a bit more questionable comfort and paying premium prices to have my bike serviced.

I narrowed down my choices to the 2011 ST 1300, FJR 1300 and the Concours, all three of these bikes are great sports touring bikes and anyone that owns one of these bikes can be proud of their bike. The Honda dealers turned me off, little or no discount on a 2010 ST 1300 that they are attempting to sell as a 2011. The ST 1300 has become a dated bike, as has the FJR. Again with the FJR there was very limited stock available and dealers don’t want to cut a deal. I think that the FJR needs some updating as well, a six-speed transmission would be at the top of the list as part of the update. I decided to purchase the Concours as it has pretty much all the options I want, except cruise control, lots of power, awesome aggressive look, decent luggage capacity, six speed transmission etc. I paid 4k to5k less purchasing either the ST 1300 or FJR, deal clincher.

I purchased the Concours six weeks ago and I have 3,100 miles on the clock and I’m really enjoying riding it. The Concours has delivered on all the things that I wanted in a sports touring bike. I added some handlebar risers and I have ordered the Kawasaki low gel seat, I hope to have that next week. I have a thirty-inch inseam so I found the stock seat just a bit high for me and it is not the most comfortable bike seat I have ever sat on. I added my Garmin GPS and  an additional auxiliary outlet for my iPhone. I purchased a Scala Rider G4 and I am real very pleased with the purchase. Other than that the only accessories that I may add are the riding peg lowering kits and a different windshield for winter riding.

Going out riding now..... ;D

Bryk said:
Peelandwin - Did you add any sort of armrest for the passenger?

I did not add a passenger armrest.  My wife has been my only passenger for a while now and she has never expressed an interest in them.

Bryk said:
And for those saying the rides aren't the same - Yes, I understand on roads like the tail, sure the C14s greater clearance/lean angle and acceleration will take it apart, especially when solo.  However keep in mind that I am looking to be a one bike only owner and want a bike that will cover all the bases. 

If you and your wife like the Connie then it will cover all the bases.  Good for long distances and super fun in the corners.  Take the side bags off and lower the wind shield and shoot around town on it.  But really, I think most bikes are capable of doing it all; I try to pick the bike that does my favorite stuff the best and fits me and my wife.

Bryk said:
I know the saying "to each their one" and that may what it comes down to.  However again to those who are saying these bikes are so different and they don't compare what does it come down to.  Just the raw acceleration and lean angle in turns?  Please keep in mind I don't have any desire to go into the triple digits (that clearly the C14 would offer).  Especially if any of you do aggressive 2 up.

We picked the Connie for our newest bike because we like to ride long distances together and have fun in the corners.  I guess you could describe our preference as semi-aggressive touring.  But because we have three young children we don't get to tour much and we do prioritize the fun a bit more.

Get the Victory.

Sounds like what you NEED is the victory and what you WANT is the Connie.  The Victory best meets all your NEEDS. Its just that you still WANT to still have some sport in there. Not completely give that up. -- Which is why I pointed out the GL1800. It can have both your NEEDS and your WANTS. While the older Wings were not to good in the twisties, and some called them Pig Wings, Honda has nailed the GL1800. Once over parking lot speed they shed 300lbs. They can go.

In any case, my own experience when something I WANT is not what I NEED, and I buy what I WANT is I end up selling what I WANTED to get what I NEEDED, because after a while I end up figuring out what I WANTED is not what I NEEDED.  Its great when they both the same. But when they are not, I always end up heading towards what I NEEDED.  Or I spend a ton of money converting what I WANTED into what I NEEDED.

So in the end, get what you NEED. Get the Victory.

Yeah I want to see if the Goldwing has the yellow again next year.  I would like to rent a 2013 yellow(if it comes in yellow) when it comes out to give it a try. 

I'm afraid it won't have the same feel though.  Everyone seems to indicate they move though above parking lot speeds. 

I know what you're saying slybones and I think I have to agree with you.

In the end I always go with the need.  It is true that when I look at the C14 it is what I want.  When it comes to actually purchasing the bike, it seems at that point it will be the XCT.  I hate saying that because the C14 is a really sweet bike and I want one ;-P

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcd/2517799286.html

They have a brand new 2010 at Evertt Powersports. Make them a good offer and get it. I'll pick it up and deliver it to the northeast region.

Slybones - ty for the offer, it will be next year by the time I am ready to decide.  The yellow looks sweet, can't ask for better visibility than that.

alz said:
with the FJR there was very limited stock available and dealers don’t want to cut a deal.

That was what I experienced as well,  when I bought my 09 FJR the dealer was willing to negotiate pretty aggressively on the price,  after I wrecked it 14 months later :(  I went to the same dealer to buy another as I already had the Farkles and loved the bike but he would not budge off sticker, I called a few more dealers and they too would not budge from sticker... The Kawi dealer was willing to negotiate and I bought a 2010 C-14,    do I love my C-14? You betcha,  but if I had to get another bike tomorrow I'd still shop between the 14 and the FJR...whichever was cheaper would win :)

I had the opposite experience. Although there were not many FJR's around. I did find one quickly at a local dealer. I was looking in July last year (right before Marc needed to). I bought my FJR at a great price. Of course a 2010 C14 was in the same ball park. The dealer had both. They were a hair over $13K (I think it was $13,200). I wanted the FJR for my own reasons. Obviously I bought the bike and have been very happy ever since. Even though it only has a 5 speed!  :))

Mad River Marc said:
alz said:
with the FJR there was very limited stock available and dealers don’t want to cut a deal.

That was what I experienced as well,  when I bought my 09 FJR the dealer was willing to negotiate pretty aggressively on the price,  after I wrecked it 14 months later :(  I went to the same dealer to buy another as I already had the Farkles and loved the bike but he would not budge off sticker, I called a few more dealers and they too would not budge from sticker... The Kawi dealer was willing to negotiate and I bought a 2010 C-14,    do I love my C-14? You betcha,  but if I had to get another bike tomorrow I'd still shop between the 14 and the FJR...whichever was cheaper would win :)

Cap'n Bob said:
I had the opposite experience. Although there were not many FJR's around. I did find one quickly at a local dealer. I was looking in July last year (right before Marc needed to). I bought my FJR at a great price. Of course a 2010 C14 was in the same ball park. The dealer had both. They were a hair over $13K (I think it was $13,200). I wanted the FJR for my own reasons. Obviously I bought the bike and have been very happy ever since. Even though it only has a 5 speed!  :))

I don't get why people are so hung up on the FJR only being a 5 speed,  I put 14k miles on mine in a year and not once did the lack of 6th gear make a difference.  The C-14 has the 6th gear (Excuse me...OD Gear LOL) and to be honest, it has a smaller range then the FJR did between fillups.  The FJR's 5 speed tranny does not in any way shape or form diminish the performance or range/speed/comfort of the bike... The issue is only in peoples heads..

Both bikes are fantastic motorcycles,  I loved my FJR as I love my C-14,  and if I had to get another one today (I pray I don't need to buy another for years and years to come) I would be just as happy on an FJR as I am on the Connie.... 

Brother's Yamaha Roadstar review-  (warning - wall of text)

Did about 200 miles yesterday.  Here is my experience:

Parking lot: 
Beast in a parking lot - really need to counter steer when not accelerating hard (aka parking lot and tight spaces/U turns).  Obviously to be expected from a bike at it's weight. The Victory XCT will clearly be worse, and will require some getting used to.  I imagine the C14 would be a bit better in this area, clearly not as easy as my 450lb 650R.

V-Twin rumble -  Definitely felt it - especially for the first quarter of the trip before getting used to it.  Probably felt it most on my throttle hand as it wore two red spots on the edge of my middle and ring finger.(Which is fine, I don't have rough hard hands - hey I'll admit it).

The windshield was setup for him, and although he is the same height as me, he has 32-33 inseam, I have 30.  I have a bit longer torso which put me in the buffeting range which he says doesn't happen to him and I don't see why it would.  Overall clearly the bike was fit for him.  I have shorter arms and legs(30 inseam) and would definitely prefer the handlebars pulled back and the floorboards moved back a bit.  The floorboards especially since oddly enough my knees(mostly my left knee) locks up in that extended floorboard position.  Something that doesn't happen on my 650R. 

Going through twisties was fun when there wasn't a car in front of me.  Bike clearly is just ready to go.  I rode 2up with the GF and it had reasonable power throughout most of the band.  At 65 indicated MPH at first I wasn't quite comfortable passing but dropping it to 4th made it feel a bit better.  My brother stated that 65MPH should be around the max torque for 5th and was a bit shocked, however conceded that since I was 2up that may change things a bit.  It is still fun in the twisties, just not as much so.

Overall it is a more relaxing ride, which is probably good for me(again I'll mention the "needs" versus "wants" that was mentioned above.  I am a worrier as I feel I have to take care of everything and every situation the right way and anything that allows me to relax is probably for the best.  The tense stance of the 650R(and probably C14) while extremely fun is probably worse for my health, ha ha.(Yes I'm stil fairly young so that might scare people).

Overall I do feel you lose a bit on the turns.  However coming back south on route 22 from Ticonderoga, which I normally dread on my 650R due to crosswinds, while it wasn't really windy yesterday I felt that the big cruisers truly are a different animal.  Just clearly built for these types of roads they devour the miles of road that you put them on.

While I will concede that yes, a Victory XCT and a C14 are different classes of bike, the question is which is going to achieve what I am looking for.

While I am looking for a bike that can get to my destination quickly sometimes (meaning not always avoiding highways) my question really comes down to comfort in those situations.  If I can have that comfort to go ~150 to 200 miles (gas breaks) while having fun in the twisties, I think that would be the bike for me. 

I do belive the XCT customized to fit me would probably satisfy most if not all of my minor issues that I had with my brother's Roadstar, the question remains, can the C14, some sport tourer satisfy everything that I am looking for.

Anyone have a max miles odometer comparison of the ST1300, FJR and C14?  From what I've read so far It seems the ST1300 can expect 250,000+, the FJR 100,000+ and I haven't read anything on the C14 yet. 

I kind of want to try to put the BMW K1600GTL back into the mix, but at it's cost, it better be ready to go and have the comfort.  From the reading I have done so far it seems great for solo riders without the trunk, however seems to be issues for 2up, including passenger comfort.  I want to double check the seat height again on it, I believe it was significantly lower than the C14.

I know you guys keep saying you can get a lower seat, however you can't fool me since clearly lower seat, means less cushion.  I just can't fully believe that a C14 can comfortably flat foot a 30 inseam.  That is going to be hard to prove since obviously the stock seat is no where near close.

Just a pretty important question remains.  Does Kawasaki recommend against loading up the C14 on trips and riding 2up?  I know on Yamaha's site they mention to not load the trunk while using the saddlebags.  Which isn't really a problem I just love the trunk for storing helmets for the most part.

I would like to thank the COG forums, you guys have been very supportive in assisting me find the right bike.  I unfortunately believe I just need to find a place that does day rentals.

Bryk said:
I know you guys keep saying you can get a lower seat, however you can't fool me since clearly lower seat, means less cushion.  I just can't fully believe that a C14 can comfortably flat foot a 30 inseam.  That is going to be hard to prove since obviously the stock seat is no where near close.

I have a 30" inseam and can flat foot the Connie comfortably.  Of course since my other bike (Buell Ulysses) is so much taller the Connie feels nice and short.

If your brother's Roadstar was fun in the twisties then I think you will be happy with a big touring cruiser.  I did look at one before getting the Connie but my wife said "hell no!"  She likes it when we hit the fun stuff  :motonoises:

Not sure about any warnings against loading the bags and topcase,  I have a Givi on my C-14 (same Givi that was on my C-10 and my FJR :) ) and I load it down constantly.  On the long trips I like to do I usually am filling both saddle bags completely, stuffing the top case as much as I can and then using a pillion bag that is stuffed full coupled with my weight plus all my riding gear, plus a tankbag etc...  No issues yet

As for the longevity,  not sure where you are getting those numbers from,  there are several FJR's with over 200k on them and still going strong,  the ST's have been around longer which is why there may be more miles reported but I think all 3 will be on par from a mechanical longevity perspective.  As for the C-14,  I think there are already one or 2 with either close to or over 100k on them,  its like any other vehicle, if you maintain it properly it should be fine...

peelandwin said:
Bryk said:

I have a 30" inseam and can flat foot the Connie comfortably.  Of course since my other bike (Buell Ulysses) is so much taller the Connie feels nice and short.

With what seat?

I sat on one stock at the store.  Sure I had sneakers and not boots, but I could only get the balls of my feet down.
If your brother's Roadstar was fun in the twisties then I think you will be happy with a big touring cruiser.  I did look at one before getting the Connie but my wife said "hell no!"  She likes it when we hit the fun stuff  :motonoises:

I started with the stocker and now have a Corbin.  The Corbin is lower but also moves me back so that my legs have to spread further to clear the pegs.  It is easier to flat foot with the Corbin if I slide forward but I had no problem with the stick seat.

peelandwin said:
I started with the stocker and now have a Corbin.  The Corbin is lower but also moves me back so that my legs have to spread further to clear the pegs.  It is easier to flat foot with the Corbin if I slide forward but I had no problem with the stick seat.

The numerous claims on the K 1600 GTL forums stating that there is a lack of passenger comfort is more than a deal breaker. 

Wanting to ride across the country some years down the road on the bike I get really does probably make the Goldwing or Cross Country Tour the best overall option.

C14 would be a blast to have for day trips and tearing up the twisties though.  Oh well. 

Perhaps they could go in the direction of the BMW and split it into two models
List of changes I would want Kawasaki to make for the C14 and the proposed C14 deluxe:

Both:
Non-linked rear brake.
Lower seat - overall center of gravity
Cruise control
Wider tire(s) (seems to be a common complaint in terms of handling)  - improved handling

C14 deluxe (GTL equivilant)
Trunk/queen seat setup
Additional seat comfort/design
Pulled back handlebars.
Stereo(with aux) with front and rear speakers
Optional GPS hookup(high on dash)

Most you can do with mods, and some probably do.

C14 is at an amazing price bracket though.  Which is why I also recommend splitting it into two versions as well. 

If the "deluxe" version was under $20k, I think it would compete pretty competitively with the BMW bikes as well as perhaps some Goldwing customers. 

I know I'm pretty young still to be looking for a tourer and most my age are still riding sportbikes.  However I'm a practical, logic driven individual.  If you put out a solid power, comfortable motorcycle at a practical price you can have your cake and eat it too.