• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Deflector for Rifle Windshield

warwgn

Mini Bike
I got the 19" replacement for my rifle windshield and really like it since it cut out additional wind noise in my helmet, but after getting my Daylong seat I seem to have raised myself up and put my helmet right back in the airstream. I don't get buffeting or any of that but the noise has definitely increased, I can slouch or duck my head and it gets nice and quiet, also if I put my hand at the top of the shield in front of my face it gets quiet. So I am thinking I should get one of those bolt on deflector things and it should solve my noise issue, who has one and how do you like it?

Even better if you have a Rifle windshield. I don't want to get a custom taller shield because I really like the view that I have now and think it is perfect, I think an adjustable deflector is the ticket so I can raise it up on long trips but drop it down for everyday riding.

Mad Stat make a quality product a bit expensive. Puig makes one also.
All plastic and $80 less. I have one on a Rifle on the C-10 it works well.

Warwgn said:
I got the 19" replacement for my rifle windshield and really like it since it cut out additional wind noise in my helmet, but after getting my Daylong seat I seem to have raised myself up and put my helmet right back in the airstream. I don't get buffeting or any of that but the noise has definitely increased, I can slouch or duck my head and it gets nice and quiet, also if I put my hand at the top of the shield in front of my face it gets quiet. So I am thinking I should get one of those bolt on deflector things and it should solve my noise issue, who has one and how do you like it?

Even better if you have a Rifle windshield. I don't want to get a custom taller shield because I really like the view that I have now and think it is perfect, I think an adjustable deflector is the ticket so I can raise it up on long trips but drop it down for everyday riding.

This will work for you, and is a lot less $$$$. HTH jD http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Clip-On-Windshield-Extension-Spoiler-Wind-Deflector-For-Motorcycle/332124474935?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

JDM said:
Warwgn said:

This will work for you, and is a lot less $$$$. HTH jD http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Clip-On-Windshield-Extension-Spoiler-Wind-Deflector-For-Motorcycle/332124474935?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Let me give you a little feedback on this one. I bought one with the intention of using it to kick the air a little further up when I was running at highway speeds. I used it for my trip to the National and back. I found that the single big mount in the middle interferes with my visibility somewhat. It's still on, but will probably come off and only get reattached in certain cases.

If your windshield is short enough to be significantly below your eyeline (mine's not), it might not be as big of a factor as it is for me.

Warwgn, I'm planning a similar mod to a shortened stock windshield.
                This idea might work for you too.

Explanation;
I have a MRA Vario windshield on my C-14.
I am VERY impressed by it.
The deflector on that shield is small, but gives me the capability to deflect the air in any way I want.  :great:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08

I recently found that I can buy the deflector assembly from Twisted Throttle..
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-bolt-on-windscreen-spoiler-blade-windshield-extension-30-22-cm-oblong
NOTE: Twisted throttle sells multiple version's of windshield extensions or deflectors.
          These are offered with clamp on or bolt on arms.
            http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=MRA+VarioTouring+Windscreen+Spoiler+Blade

I want my deflector to match the contour of my shield exactly.
So, my plan is to buy only the mounts and make my deflector from another stock shield**.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-replacement-hinges-hardware-for-vta-vts-vario-spoiler

Hope this gives you idea's.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I'm in need of an old shield to cut up.
      Does anyone have an old C-10 shield laying around their garage?
      Does not have to be pristine, as I will be cutting the material from the center of the shield.

My hinges came in while I was out of town.
  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-replacement-hinges-hardware-for-vta-vts-vario-spoiler

Deflector is built, and almost ready to install on the cut down stock shield.
        I removed about 10" from the top of a stock shield, and made the deflector from another stock shield.
        The contour of the shorty shield and deflector match exactly.

So,,, I may have my homemade MRA Vario   "TWA Vario" installed today.

And then (before I can test it) I have to adjust valves, install carbs, and look into compression concerns. {gloom  :-[}

Ride safe, Ted

Update: "TWA Vario" installed....

So I installed the MRA X-Creen Tour Windscreen Spoiler Blade as linked above, assembly instructions were great and it was a snap to install, I did throw out my back and I am sure it has something to do with the install not covered by the instructions and nothing to do with me getting old.

Anyway, it did go easy and I finished it even with severe back pain, but did not clean up and just now got to ride today. It looks great and fits very well, I used the double adjustable configuration and not the single and also drilled and hard mounted it. It did exactly what I hoped it would do, I no longer have wind noise and rode the 40 miles to work with my visor up which was impossible before because the wind always blew it closed.

Over all I would say well worth the 120 bucks, if it gets very hot I can adjust it to force air to me, if it is cold I can adjust it up, or even put it neutral. Great farkle to add.

Glad to hear this worked so well for you.

I've got one of those Amazon cheap clampons (think is was ~$35). It's mounted on a low windshield and even at it's tallest position, the spoiler is well below my view.

I've noticed that changing the angle of the visor makes a big difference, the height adjustment less so.

When parallel to the windscreen, the visor decreases the wind pressure on my helmet (felt mostly when I turn my head) but also created a buffeting that is more noise than movement. Put at an angle (more vertical) to the windshield, it probably pushes wind higher and the buffeting sound goes away. The downside of this position is that it's putting much more pressure on the windscreen and the flexes around quite a bit.

We'll see how this holds up. The visor and hardware appear to be good quality, but the surface area it's mounted to on the windscreen is pretty small (may 1.5" x 2"), so it may fatigue the screen over time. My guess is that the MRA-X is a much better design for the long run.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 162