• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Did I pooch my brakes totally?

mcgyver74

Ok so today I mounted a new set of Pirelli Angels,  when I was taking off the rear caliper to pull the rear wheel, I removed the wrong bolts (Pulled the bolts that hold the halves of the caliper together instead of the mounting bolts even though Fred's video SAYS to watch out for that  :mad:  )    Luckily I realized before I had the 2nd bolt totally out, it leaked a bit of brake fluid, but I put the bolts back,  bled the rear brake just to be safe....so far the rear brake seems to work fine, and it's not leaking...

So my question is, did I do any lasting damage by pulling the wrong bolts?  Should I be buying a new caliper?

On the plus side, my 40mph wobble seems to be gone with the new Tyahs :)

thats the problem with giving a layman a how to book. Here have it a go. You can have some one really fix it when you done ******* it up. You should be fine on this one.

If your not seeping fluid and the peddle stays strong. Your probably OK. How did you manage to screw up something so easy?  :))

Didn't I tell you to get rid of those PR2's? You didn't learn after the first upside. Now you had them on the C14 and look, more trouble. If your going to use Michelin's, get the PR3, not the PR2. But now that you have Angels, enjoy the ride like never before.  :)

Since these brake calipers have pistons on both sides, there is a passage that allows brake fluid to flow from the outboard half to the inboard half, with a small O ring to seal it when the two halves are bolted together. When you unbolted it, you saw brake fluid from the passage leak out.

As long as you bled both halves of the brake properly and got all the air out and don't have any leaks, you should be fine. There is a second bleeder port on the back side of the rear brake, don't forget to bleed it too.

Yeah I bled both bleeders, the pedal feels like it always did, and the brakes are strong. I guess I dodged a bullet here :)

It happened because of sheer stupidity on my part,  I was doing this at a friends place, and we have access to a No-Mar tire changer we were going to use rather then fight with spoons like I used to on my C-10.

We had to be at the home of the guy with the changer no later then 11 as he had something to do that afternoon so the plan was go to my friends place, pull the wheels, toss them in the trunk of his car and go to our other friends place to mount,  I arrived at my friends place at 10 and even though I had plenty of time I felt rushed for some reason and was racing to get the wheels off quickly, I had unbolted the ABS sensor from the carrier and the wire was lying in such a way that it blocked view of the actual mounting bolts..  :mad: 

Lucky once I slowed down I got everything back together properly, and all bolts are correct and torqued to factory spec and the bike rides NICE!! (was taking it easy in the corners until I get the Tyahs scrubbed in but should be good for Lake George!! :) )

ghedunk said:
thats the problem with giving a layman a how to book. Here have it a go. You can have some one really fix it when you done ******* it up. You should be fine on this one.
I hope you are trying to be funny,surely you're not as arrogant as you sound.How about givin a guy credit for trying,,guess you never made a mistake.... :nananana:

Thanks for posting this Marc, when it's time to change my brakes I'll remember to pay close attention to the rear caliper because I too tend to make dumb mistakes once in a while.

If you have not made a dumb mistake then you haven't done very much wrenching. I started helping my dad rebuild motors at the ripe old of eight. And yes I made some dumb mistakes [and still do] but thanks to a kind and wise old man I learn a lot. He would always say "You see son that is how you learn, as long as you don't make the same mistake twice.  ;)