• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ditch Lights accessory lighting etc

mbsevans2722

Hello fellow riders! Does anyone have any experience with adding ditch lights for deer on their C10? I have read a thread on here where a bracket was fashioned to fit where the tip over bars would mount. I dont want to add tip over bars and endeavour to keep the lights small. But my big question is light output…anyone have input on Wattage? Physical Size? Beam type? I am thinking spot And both spots skewed outwards a couple of degrees from the longitudinal axis, to light up the ditch ahead. Looking at something like the attached lighting. Power is taken care of as I will tap into the added harness I fabbed with its on 30A relay.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5451.png
    IMG_5451.png
    448 KB · Views: 11
Hello fellow riders! Does anyone have any experience with adding ditch lights for deer on their C10? I have read a thread on here where a bracket was fashioned to fit where the tip over bars would mount. I dont want to add tip over bars and endeavour to keep the lights small. But my big question is light output…anyone have input on Wattage? Physical Size? Beam type? I am thinking spot And both spots skewed outwards a couple of degrees from the longitudinal axis, to light up the ditch ahead. Looking at something like the attached lighting. Power is taken care of as I will tap into the added harness I fabbed with its on 30A relay.

Thanks in advance.
20231021_200050.jpg

20231113_201803-EDIT.jpg

Yeah, I have a little experience with it.... let's chat!

😎

-Zak

Thanks Zak, I have no issues with powering the lights, already have a relay switched 30 amp circuit I fabricated. Main question I have is type of light and mounting options.

I had mounted mine on my 98, where the reflectors were/are. Used leds from superbrightled .

Attachments

• 20151019_194936.jpg
    20151019_194936.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 20
A light bar is an option. I made mine from big box hardware bits.

Other's have fashioned brackets by bending flat stock that attach with the existing 2 front and top screws of the lower fairings.

DSCF0081.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

Mine are angle stock that are bent and attached as mentioned above. I’m still working on attaching where the tip over bars attach yet waiting for warmer weather😂
24EE3805-9CE8-486D-91F3-DA68FAF9BA84.jpeg

Another approach is a low-mount bar across the front, using the two mounting bolts from the front at the top of the gray of the lower fairing. Ronnie Lyons used to sell one, but it wouldn't be hard to make yourself.

There are photos in the Auxiliary Lighting tech pages of it (Ronnie Lyons Light Bar). https://concours.org/Tech-Pages/Tech-Details/#1500189030

My bike came with one, but I didn't get a good photo before I took all the fairing off to work on it this winter, so the best I have is this photo from it when I hauled it home last fall. You can see the lights if you zoom in.
1000002684.jpg

Last edited:
I relocated two of my lights from what I posted before. It doesn't look "pretty", but they're EXTREMELY effective:

I mounted two of these lights, using two of the screws for the fairing. You could route the wires a different way, but in that location (notice the angle), they project down and to the sides. Illuminates the road a solid 50 feet to each side and slightly forward.

I also have a bar that mounts below where the lower fairing is (where Seth mentioned). The combo of those gives me FANTASTIC visibility in dark spaces, ahead, and to the sides.

-Z

Attachments

• 1708533826565.png
    1708533826565.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 20
Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the bright LED lamps are flood lights, not fog or driving lights.
I have two mounted on the Top Block sliders and, at night, they do a great job of lighting the road immediately in front of me, but actually reduce my longer distance vision, so I often turn them off at night.
They also cause a lot of glare to oncoming drivers, so at night, on country roads, they're off.
My main purpose for installing them was for conspicuoty, and they do a great job in daytime.

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the bright LED lamps are flood lights, not fog or driving lights.
I have two mounted on the Top Block sliders and, at night, they do a great job of lighting the road immediately in front of me, but actually reduce my longer distance vision, so I often turn them off at night.
They also cause a lot of glare to oncoming drivers, so at night, on country roads, they're off.
My main purpose for installing them was for conspicuoty, and they do a great job in daytime.
I've been doing research on this, as I started as a total newb on aux lighting. I found some good resources on beam patterns from manufacturers. Diode Dynamics has some nice diagrams (and even more details in their spec sheets): https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-2-sae-dot-white-pro-standard-led-pod-pair.html

I bought these last November. I love them.

1709057020097.png

The lighting effects actually look like this:

1709057069279.png

Every light I've seen before is a flood light. Some have a tight enough beam to be a spot light. But these actually have a flat cutoff like that. I'm not getting anyone flashing their lights at me either.

Chris