• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

DIY heated clothing

Because my wife is Awesome and as frugal as me. i was looking at gerbings heated clothing and found out how much $$$$ they cost. She found this. i think I will try this with a glove liner first http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-heated-clothing/ 98 Windsor Green Connie 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

Head on over to Goodwill and find an old electric blanket. Cost you a few bucks and the wire is purpose made for what you need. Carefully pull out the wire. This is the exact same wire that was in my first 2 electric vests I purchased. It's fine wire, twisted around a core. Much more flexible for use in clothing, and made for the purpose of creating heat. Measure out your wires using their methods. Sew it in, plug it in, go riding. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g

jimmy, you never fail to give me a good chuckle. i don't care what they say about you and i'm sure you don't either. you're a ok in my book. i was going to jokingly suggest the electric blanket incorporated with a power inverter because i wasn't sure if the blanket would work with 12 volts. then there you go showing us how it could work. maybe the blanket could be fabricated into a vest or pants with some strategic cutting and splicing. either way it looks like it could be a fun little project. thanks for the info guys, tom.

The way they make it work in 110v use is to make much longer runs with it. I think the queen blanket I tore apart had about 75' of it. Since I only needed 73' for the tube jock, I had some left over and deconstructed it. That's when I noticed it was the same wire. Being that long (the wire) and trying it on 12V, things got cold. Real cold. When things got that cold, I found out that the orignal 73' was waaaaaay too long. ;) I think I settled on 2" :blush: Yep. I make my self laugh at time too. As of late, I don't even need to take my clothes off to do it. You can cut and splice, but you'll end up using the original routing of the wires. It's relatively widely spaced in a blanket. Besides, do you really want to know the who/what was using that blanket, and have it against your body? Yeah, thought not. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g

hey andy, i saw your post about the gloves today. have you given up on this project? just wondering because i found some old heat tape that's been laying around the shed a while and it got me thinking about this. thanks, tom