• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Do not carry a open Beer while in Helen during the Nationals

n3nman

Was up in Helen, GA with my son last week. It was pointed out to me that they have a very serious fine for open drinks in Helen. How about a $700 fine. Just a heads up.

That's an expensive heads-up....good to know before your National week gets ruined....THANKS Lee.

n3nman said:
Was up in Helen, GA with my son last week. It was pointed out to me that they have a very serious fine for open drinks in Helen. How about a $700 fine. Just a heads up.

Don't worry. COG members get 50% discount. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

If that's the case might be a good idea to get a LEO to discuss / explain in more detail at the welcome meeting so more are aware.

Problem solved.

http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimage/DA/20151202/business/151209771/AR/0/AR-
151209771.jpg&updated=201512021653&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

millerized said:
Problem solved.

http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimage/DA/20151202/business/151209771/AR/0/AR-
151209771.jpg&updated=201512021653&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder
Years ago I was drinking a root beer in a similar container and I got pulled over by a CHP.He didn't think it was as funny as I did,but I told him I like the root beer and they dont let me choose the bottle it comes I .

I'm sure that applies to public property, if your on private property, like the Helendorf (parking lot, river room, river terrace, etc), it's not an issue. I was just there yesterday and the Shriners were having an event so there Shriners in golf carts, four wheelers, etc, I'm sure they all were drinking something other than water.

MotoCommuter said:
I'm sure that applies to public property, if your on private property, like the Helendorf (parking lot, river room, river terrace, etc), it's not an issue. I was just there yesterday and the Shriners were having an event so there Shriners in golf carts, four wheelers, etc, I'm sure they all were drinking something other than water.

Surely you jest.... :rotflmao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplvmieXOZ0

MotoCommuter said:
Shriners? Drinking? No Way. I'm sure it is like everything everywhere. C **** Drink. C **** be an ace. C **** get arrested. Don't be a ****.  ;) :beerchug:

MotoCommuter said:
Yeah, what's interesting is you can't openly drink on public property but you can open carry a firearm.

Maybe that is why they don't want you drinking.    :)

fred-houston said:
MotoCommuter said:
Yeah, what's interesting is you can't openly drink on public property but you can open carry a firearm.

Maybe that is why they don't want you drinking.    :)

Well, with a Georgia Weapons Carry Licence, you can legally carry into a bar, so I doubt that is the case with the open container. I believe the open container law is a Georgia law, I remember back in the day, they would have to go cups at the exit at the bars, so you could pour your drink into a cup and walk out.

MotoCommuter said:
You cannot open carry in Ga, Unless you have a special permit.

Zarticus said:
MotoCommuter said:
But a guy from WV can conceal carry without a GA permit.
Gotta love this country.

millerized said:
Zarticus said:
MotoCommuter said:
Gotta love this country.
Because many states recognize each others concealed carry permits. From what I read on The state of GA site they recognize WV concealed permits. I don't think a WV resident can conceal carry in GA without a WV permit. I am open to being corrected if I'm wrong  :beerchug:

Zarticus said:
millerized said:
Zarticus said:
MotoCommuter said:
Gotta love this country.

Because many states recognize each others concealed carry permits. From what I read on The state of GA site they recognize WV concealed permits. I don't think a WV resident can conceal carry in GA without a WV permit. I am open to being corrected if I'm wrong  :beerchug:

You are correct, GA and WV have reciprocal agreement in place. If Jim has a WV licence, then he can carry in GA. GA does not have a concealed carry licence, it has a Georgia Weapons Carry Licence, which allows you to carry concealed or open.  Go to: http://www.georgiapacking.org for more information on firearms laws in GA.

Don't be surprised when you see people open carrying in GA. Our laws allow it if you have a GWCL (or a reciprocal state licence). What's even more interesting is that an LEO cannot demand to see your licence for just open carrying, if they are investigating some type of crime, then they can, but just open carrying a weapon is not a reason for them to demand to see the licence. Don't believe me, please check out the site above to obtain links to the current GA laws. Also, this is not legal advise, always be aware of the laws of the state you are in (my disclaimer).

interestingly, you can open carry here in NC, but need a permit to concealed carry.

so....I'm covered to conceal carry in GA, but would I be covered to open carry since I have a concealed carry permit from NC?

Oh...and we allow carry in places selling alchohol (ie. bars), but no alchohol can be consumed.  so if you carry into a bar, just don't drink.  I think that covers open containers AND solo cups.  ;D

Just to help the stray off subject but I also read that the cops in Helen don't really like bikers and will look for excuses to make sure you have your paperwork in order.  Like 5 over anywhere in town.

I know first hand that they give out tickets liberally for parking in the loading zone at the top of the hill that is open parking on the weekend, but NOT during the week!  :'(

We need to become friends with some of the off-duty Helen cops and invite them to Yonah...

:campfire:

Then again, maybe NOT!

Not being a concealed carrier, or even a gun owner (at this point)...I'm curious...

How does it work at a place like Yonah that states 'NO WEAPONS'.....is it basically a 'no questions asked, no lies told' type situation.  I'm assuming you don't check 'em at the front desk?

from what I have experienced, it's the latter, Shawn.  everyone in this organization that I have met have never been the type of make light of, nor even show a firearm in public.  I know many of us carry, but unless you knew them, you'd never know.  that will likely be the way at Yonah.  Not that I'm advicating everyone should carry there.  just that you would probably never know one way or the other.  there has been lots of discussion, both pro and con, here on the forum regarding firearms.  I have found that those of us who are "pro" are discrete and concious of the responsibilty.  I've never heard anyone on the "con" side of the discussion express any concern at rallies or functions.  if they did, I would suspect that there would be a firm reaction from the "pro" community regarding rectifying the situation.  in other words, if someone did something inappropriate, they would hear it from us.  I think we would do very well at policing ourselves in order to not impact all of us who choose to carry.  just my opinion, of course, and subject to everyone else's.  ;D

Sport Rider said:
from what I have experienced, it's the latter, Shawn.  everyone in this organization that I have met have never been the type of make light of, nor even show a firearm in public.  I know many of us carry, but unless you knew them, you'd never know.  that will likely be the way at Yonah.  Not that I'm advicating everyone should carry there.  just that you would probably never know one way or the other.  there has been lots of discussion, both pro and con, here on the forum regarding firearms.  I have found that those of us who are "pro" are discrete and concious of the responsibilty.  I've never heard anyone on the "con" side of the discussion express any concern at rallies or functions.  if they did, I would suspect that there would be a firm reaction from the "pro" community regarding rectifying the situation.  in other words, if someone did something inappropriate, they would hear it from us.  I think we would do very well at policing ourselves in order to not impact all of us who choose to carry.  just my opinion, of course, and subject to everyone else's.  ;D

Thanks for the feedback.  I have never met a concealed carrier that doesn't take the responsibility extremely seriously, so I wasn't implying that any concealed carrier (COG member or otherwise) would do anything to jeopardize that freedom.

I also didn't mean to be flippant about the 'no questions, no lies' comment....what I meant was...as long as you keep it unloaded and locked in a saddlebag/top case, is that like keeping it locked in your car trunk...if you check it at the front desk of Yonah...it's not concealed anymore.

I think I just realized I don't need to be a concealed carrier, I have enough to remember being safe on the bike...but come to think of it, to a concealed carrier, the two go hand in hand.

on the flip side, if you don't want to carry, don't worry.  there will be plenty of other around who are if there were ever that type of an emergency.  Just dive behind Al....you'll be fine!  :))

regarding the ticket thing...I found this from the RWTW trip last fall.  might be hard to read, but note the sign in the background.  :eek:

Attachments

• DSC_1937 small.jpg
    DSC_1937 small.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 133
Shawn, signage and rules on private property carry no legal weight in GA other then they can ask you to leave their property. That being said, if you are discrete about it, there should not be an issue, but I'm in no way advocating attendees break any rules so you need to evaluate your situation. Also, vehicles are considered an extension of your home in GA, plus you are allowed to have a loaded firearm in the glove box/center console of a car/truck with out a GWCL, I don't know how this translates to a MC top box, you would need to investigate the GA laws.

As a side note, we had a rally in Pensacola a while back and we were all going to the Naval Aviation Museum on NAS Pensacola, as the Feds are much more stricter about firearms, the Rally Master brought a lock box that we all stored our firearms in while we went to the museum, it was quite the assortment.

My own personal philosophy is "don't ask, don't tell" and I'm discrete about it and you will find the majority of the membership are the same way. I have never seen it to be an issue with all the MC rally's and events I've been to.

I'm sure that many of the no firearms signs are due to liability / Insurance reasons. If something happens, they can just point to the rules and it gives them an out if your being stupid about it.

Ya'll worry too much..

Funny how Alcohol threads turn into gun threads.

Have a good time and don't bring attention to yourselves.