• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Do you have any advice for me concerning my 1st NEW motorcycle purchase?

RobertHood

Tricycle
It's been a multi-decade ride, and I've travelled on some good bikes. I started riding back in the '70s on my dad's Honda Trail 90. I moved up to a Yamaha RD-125 and then a RD-350. I spent many good years on a 1980 Honda CB750F, and I've been riding a 2002 Kawasaki C-10 for the last three years. All those bikes were good used bikes, but the day has finally arrived when I'm ready and able to buy a new Kawasaki C-14 at a stealership. I’ve read all about the new C-14 ABS. I’ve even been able to test ride one. It feels right.

MSRP: $15,599
My question: Do you have any suggestions for negotiating the best deal?

Hood said:
It's been a multi-decade ride, and I've travelled on some good bikes. I started riding back in the '70s on my dad's Honda Trail 90. I moved up to a Yamaha RD-125 and then a RD-350. I spent many good years on a 1980 Honda CB750F, and I've been riding a 2002 Kawasaki C-10 for the last three years. All those bikes were good used bikes, but the day has finally arrived when I'm ready and able to buy a new Kawasaki C-14 at a stealership. I’ve read all about the new C-14 ABS. I’ve even been able to test ride one. It feels right.

MSRP: $15,599
My question: Do you have any suggestions for negotiating the best deal?

Hmm, tell them you have never payed MSRP for a new bike?

If one dealer will not deal with you, another probably will.  My bike was delivered to one dealer, but they would not budge from MSRP (maybe $100 they said).  I went to a different dealer who didn't have any left, but their sales guy was able to convince the first dealer to sell it to him (dealer transfer), then he sold it to me for $1500 off MSRP, which included $60 for setup and his guy to drive over with a truck and bring the crate back.

Short answer, don't buy if you're not satisfied with the agreement.  In your case, being the first purchase, you don't want to feel like you were totally taken advantage of.

YMWV.

Shop around before making any deal. Then try to play one against the other. It may get you a much cheaper price. But then again maybe not!  ::)!

Tell folks more specifically where you are.  Someone may have a suggestion as to a good close dealer as well.  I can't help you in that, but someone may.

Asking for OTD price will often help you understand you're comparing apples and apples.  Know ahead of time if you want the extended warranty or not.

Find the cheapest price online.  Email all the dealers within however far you are willing to travel to get the bike.  Go with the cheapest guy.  Don't pay any setup/doc fees.  You should only pay state sales tax (if applicable) and whatever it costs to put tags on the bike.  Any other charge is a ripoff.

When I bought mine last year I spoke to the salesguy for about 3 minutes on the phone (after email contact) just to verify what to bring with me to verify ins/ get the VIN etc.  I was in the dealership doing paperwork for about 2 minutes and was on my way.  Faster than getting food at McDonalds.  ;D

#1 Don't do it!!!!!!  Just walk away now.  Don't ask questions, just walk away.
#2. You obviously didn't listen to #1 so therefore you have decided to go ahead with the purchase.
#3  Where are you located.  I'm sure someone in your area has probably purchased at a dealer near you and can probably direct you to a dealer they are familiar with and that is willing to treat you good on price and service.
#4  If you are in/around Minnesota, I purchased from Bristow's in St. Cloud.  13,500 + MN sales tax + license.  OTD was like $14,132.  That is the C14 w/ABS, Traction control.  Also 15% off accessories.
#5  DO NOT PAY SET UP FEE.  Complete BS!!!!!
#6  Go with Silver.  The black just isn't as fast.

If it where me I would look for a left over 2010, 2009 set up the same way and save a ton but I have to include that I do not know if there are any upgrades to the newer ones that would make a diff.....

But, of course I am the guy who just bought a wonderful 92 for $700 so that may disqualify my opinion all together :))

I did an Internet search and checked out all of the area shops online. Really wanted a Blue 2010 ABS, but was only able to find one in the area and it was a dealer demo. I was a bit afraid of how that bike might have been riden, so passed it up.

I ended up getting an '11 Black right out of the crate for an extra $100 bucks over the Blue '10 price. The local guy basically met the lowest internet price and I ended up paying $13,745.