• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Does a 55 series tire work OK on an ABS bike?

works4me said:
Tire series ( aspect ratio ) should have no effect on ABS or TC.

Aspect ratio does affect the overall diameter and circumference and can have an impact on ABS and TC.

However going from 50 to 55 and keeping the same section width should be within the acceptable parameters the computers are looking for.

I love the 180/55 B spec PR3 I put on the back of mine. It's only about 1/3rd of an inch narrower than the stock 190,(as in you can't tell) and maintains the stock diameter which I felt might be important for the TC and ABS. I was amazed checking tire specs on the 190/55 that a tire 1/2 inch taller significantly changes the "revolutions per mile". I also feel the concours has a tail high feel already, probably due to the stock seat, and didn't want to raise it any more.

Now maybe it's the PR3's, but I felt the original 190/50 BT 21 always wanted to stand the bike up and go straight, rather than maintain a nice neutral lean angle like these Michelin's do. Having to put constant pressure on the inside handlebar, during turns, to keep her leaned over got pretty annoying. That's why I went to the /55 and I think it made it much better. So much so that I just ordered another.

Just to let you know. I got 6000 miles out of the original BT 21's and they got spooky the last thousand. Especially in the wet. What really surprised me was that the front needed changing just as much as the back did at that point. This set of PR3's has 8000 miles on them and still don't seem to have that "vague" feel worn tires get. The rear is bald on the left, but not showing cord. The front, although showing wear, still has plenty of tread, and I'm hoping will last through the new rear I just ordered.