• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

dominoes

oldsawfiler

Crotch Rocket
Haven't seen anything about this here yet so I am posting a link to the TV news story. About 30 bikes traveling together on I-5 involved in 1 big accident. All Harleys This Happened Fri afternoon just south of Portland WA on I-5. Son and I were headed south to Portland Fri evening on I-5, but heard about it when we checked into our Hotel. Had business in Portland or might have gone to Shasta. OH well. http://www.katu.com/news/59789107.html COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

That is sad but seems to me if the first two lead riders missed the SUV then the rest of the riders were in to close a formation to not have time to stop. Remember this when your riding in groups. Photos[/url]

Interesting, it says "Oregon State Police said the motorcyclists were riding in standard formation

A staggered formation still constitutes 2 columns. IF they were riding the "standard", staggered formation a rider has about 2 seconds distance between the bike that is directly in front of them and 1 second's distance from the bike to their side. When you're travelling at 60 MPH you are covering 66 feet/sec. that doesn't provide a lot of reaction time or escape room even under ideal circumstances. If one or two riders missed seeing the brake lights or some other cue then... .

I live in Canby about 5 miles from the accident spot. My wife and I got on I-5 going north at the next exit up from the accident about 5 minutes after it happened. We listened to news reports that had people calling in that witnessed the accident and one person said the SUV had moved into the lane with the bikes. Another witness said the SUV suddenly slowed or stopped. I wonder if there was some bad judgement by the SUV to move into the lane without really having enough room. Investigation is still ongoing. Probably never know what actually happened.

I would expect the State Police to refer to staggered formation. They should be well educated on safe riding.

I never have felt safe with the staggered formation. Your 2 second interval goes away real fast if the guy in front of you swerves in front of you.

+1, seeing the gay pirate brigades all bunched up gives me the willies. ;p A motorman trainer pal wanted to ride alongside me, but I signaled him NFW. He may have the skillz to deal with it but I soitenly don't. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http:

I like a 2 second separation from the bike next in sequence vs the one that is really 2 bikes from you. More room. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

that's why if I go to a benefit ride I give them my money & help out somewhere until everyone gets back from the ride as I don't like big group benefit rides & I will not do them anymore... even riding w/ the COG is out of my normal element as I think more than 4 bikes is pushing the limit for me as a big group ride & like to be the guy at the back aka the group sweeper... I do prefer to ride alone or w/ maybe 1 or 2 other guys that like to ride on the edge... ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It 09 Triumph Sprint ST aka The Phantom 05 Yamaha Road Star Midnight Warrior aka un-named

I've always liked keeping at least 3 or 4 second space in staggered. Treat the next bike like he is directly in front of you. More space equals a safer ride. Side by side riding scares the hell out of me. http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/djmarrs_bucket/VisitedProvincesMap2-1.jpg?t=1264819451

Two seconds is considered the minimum following distance for ideal conditions. When other factors come into play (rider skill level, group ride, road conditions, weather, etc.) an increased following distance is much more desirable. Group rides add a completely different dynamic to the typical solo ride. Here is a link to the MSF Group Ride Quick Tip info: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Group_Ride.pdf -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

SS, Thanks for posting that link. I've seen it before, but is a good reminder. I will be hosting a ride in my area in a couple of weeks and will print and hand out the info. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

no problem... As I wrote to someone else recently... Thanks for being an active COG member and organizing an activity. As more members do this we will have a plethora of choices throughout the riding season. Be sure to have your AD or AAD add the ride to the online calendar of events. BTW - there are a few documents in the Ride & Rally How To... section of the online Member Library (from the Member Menu on this web site) you may want to check out that may provide additional information. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.