• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Door County Wisconsin

scoberly

Wife and I are looking to take extended weekend to the Door Co. area in a couple of weeks. You folks from over that way got any "dont miss this road" "dont miss this place to stop and eat" ideas I would love to hear them. She does have us already booked into lodging at Bailey's Harbor and reservation for a fish boil someplace but dont remember the name of the joint. TIA.

Aw man thats on my bucket list. Ive got a friend west of Green Bay who took me over there a few years back and been wanting to take the bike back up and stay a few days in the summer when its so hot here. maybe next summer

yeh its too bad we cant get the schedule to match up with leaf peeping but maybe the crowd/turists wont be as bad either. No expectation of being able to carve the roads any way just taking a leisure trip with wife.

Baileys is a great town to stay in.  Lots of nice roads to play on all over the peninsula from Sturgeon Bay on out to the end. 

I'd skip the fish boil.  Most of them are not good.  Mainly depending on the fish they boil.  Lake Trout can be ok, whitefish not so much.  The only good one I have been to was a Lake Trout boil was in Port Wing WI. 

Most of my time in Baileys is spent out on the water Salmon fishing.  Years ago it was a family trip where we spent more time exploring the towns shops.  The last 5 years or so has been a guys trip, so I'm out of the loop on tourist attractions.  We fish really hard.  Lines out by 4AM, back to the dock around noon.  Back out on the water at 4PM, and usually back in around midnight.... Not much time for other activities.  We do get some nice fish....

looks like that minnow your holding would feed a few. Never been any good at huntin or fishin although I enjoy the outdoors immensely. I hear ya on the fish boil - one of those things you do once in life I guess. I have heard dont plan on the meal being spectacular but get there early enough to watch the process of how its done. Entertainment value

There is some entertainment value when they burn off the top.  Also there is usually some tasty adult beverages flowing which makes the meal taste better....

Baileys Harbor is home to http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com IMO a great fishing charter.  Capt. Lynn does well and could get you on some fish if you where so inclined- and the weather cooperates.