• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Drive shaft Schedule

I'll check but I don't think an interval is mentioned in the service manual, but a good time to do it is when you're changing the rear tire. I typically try to do mine every 15-20K miles or so. The rear spline is easy and can be done more often, but the front one at the bevel gear housing takes a little more work to get to.

when i do the rear oil, i end up taking the wheel out and check the balance re grease the splines and change the brake fluid.

Every 3rd rear tire just as a precaution.  Also brake pads at the same time.  RTFM when you pull the shaft off the front. :-[

BJ_CT said:
Every 3rd rear tire just as a precaution.  Also brake pads at the same time.  RTFM when you pull the shaft off the front. :-[

So would that be 9,000 miles or 27,000 miles?  :))

I did mine around 7000 (at the 2011 National..thanks Brian :) )  and will likely do it again around 30k

I do change the rear fluid every oil change,  Overkill I know, but the bottle isn't expensive and it lasts a good long time...

Thanks Marc, I’ve got about 18K on her now so I'm past due to have the valves adjusted. I also need a new rear tire (see my ride video in the rides forum) and wouldn’t hurt to change the air filter and torque the Exhaust Header bolts while they are at it. Maybe I'll have the dealer do the drive shaft when changing the rear tire. On all my past bikes I've done all this work myself, for some reason on this bike I just want to drop it off at the dealer. Either I’m getting old, have less time or more money.

I change my Dif gear oil every other oil change with Royal Purple.

I realize gear oil isn't expensive, but every engine oil change? :eek:

There is no combustion byproducts and contaminants there.  Oh well.  Whatever works for you. 8)

Yes as I said, it's overkill.  But it makes me feel better

As for the valves, I checked mine and thankfully they were all in spec,  When Tom K and I did his valves all but one were out of spec (He has an 09 I have a 10)

Adjusting them isn't hard,  it's just tedious :)

And that's why I'll pay someone else,  ;)  I'm only home 2 days a week so I have very little time to do this and I'm afraid that if I spread it across more than one weekend the bike would end up FUBAR. At least if the dealer messes up they have to fix it, but I wouldnt feel this way if I didnt have a decent wrench/dealer.

Mad River Marc said:
Yes as I said, it's overkill.  But it makes me feel better

As for the valves, I checked mine and thankfully they were all in spec,  When Tom K and I did his valves all but one were out of spec (He has an 09 I have a 10)

Adjusting them isn't hard,  it's just tedious :)