• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dropped after a month II

Turk

Training Wheels
Well it happened way sooner than I thought.  Some of you may remember that I had the bike in the shop for over a month while they were figuring out the causes of an ABS warning light issue I was having after 20 miles of ownership of a new 2012 C14 that I picked up in early September 2013.  It is all fixed now and I have been finally enjoying riding the beast.

Yesterday coming out off a gas station I needed to stop for cross traffic and I think a combination of front brake usage and sand on the entrance/exit to the gas station and the bike was down on its left side.  I attempted to hold it unsuccessfully and was able to jump over it the last minute with only a lightly sprained ankle.  Usual scrape damage to the mirror, lower cowling, few scratches on the upper left cowling and major scratches  on the saddle bag lid!!!  It sucks to see a 1500 mile bike scratched up like this. 

I am going to start with replacing the left lid but I am not sure how easy will it be to dissemble it from the case as it appears to be riveted to the frame of the case.  I know I am not a full member but wanted to share the mishap.  Thirty years of riding and this is my 2nd drop (first being perpetrated in a drunken stage  in my driveway  ::)).

Cheers
Turk

Turk said:
Yesterday coming out off a gas station I needed to stop for cross traffic...........

I think it would be cool to see how many of us drop our babies after fueling up.  When we sit on a level bike I don't really we really feel that much difference, however, there's almost 6 gallons of fuel at about 6 lbs each gallon, making about 35 lbs of weight added to the high side of the bike.  I never thought much about it until another COG member pointed out the fuel weight to me in my CDA posting..... 
Welcome to the club...  :beerchug:  

It's even worse on a C10 - those have 7.5 gallon tanks!

I'm really glad that neither you nor Connie was seriouslu hurt Turk, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

As you said, you need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

Congratulations on joining COG, Turk - it's great to have you with us!  Did you make it up to the Run With The Wolf Rally this year?  I hope so; it's within easy striking distance of Atlanta.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 525th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0521 C14 Tom Womack
0522 C14 Richard Close Jr.
0523 C14 Charlie Moore
0524 C14 Julio Sekler
0525 C14 Ahmet Beyhan