• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Earbuds vs. Stock Speakers

ChrisD

Scooter
So, just purchased a Sena 20S and have been researching to find out what would be best, the stock speakers or earbuds.  I've read a lot of good things about the earbuds but wanted to reach out to my COG brothers and sisters to see what you are using and maybe the good, bad and ugly of earbuds vs stock speakers......or if there is another alternative.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris,

I've run both tens of thousands of miles.

The right earbuds are great.  By 'right' I mean the Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones style.  They work as ear plugs and earbuds.  Great sound.  You have to deal with insertion and wires whenever you take your helmet off or put on.

I'm now using the stock SENA speakers with good ear plugs, and they work fine.  The sound isn't as pure.  I started using speakers on an IBA 50cc run because I didn't want to deal with having to insert the buds at every stop nor deal with wires.  Also, sometimes the buds can be irritating, at least for me.

Luck

Josh

I have the 20s and I find the speakers to have too low of a volume.  I contacted Sena but they don't care.  I tried aftermarket speakers and had the same result.

I have used the Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones for about 3 years.  The sound is good but the build is junk.  They constantly break along one of the seams and I have to glue them back together.  I finally gave up.  I also had to superglue the tips on so they wouldn't come off in my ear canals.

Right now, I use these ear bids: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM8008?keywords=ear&qid=1457206356&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
If they break, it's only $8.

It is a pain to deal with the wires but at least I can hear what the 20s is putting out.

Chris,
I'm a Scala Rider G9 user.

I've used the helmet speakers for a long time, and they're "OK."

Last year, I upgraded to a G9X cradle. This allows me to now use earbuds.

No way I'll go back to speakers now! Much better sound/bass quality. Less wind/ road noise.

Because earbuds tend to fail often by breaking wires... I chose to use earbuds from Walmart.
$20/ set. Called Marshmallows. They fit my ears great. Very comfy.
I can ride using them all day long, no discomfort.
They sound great. What's not to like?

If they fail, it doesn't break the bank. So far, they've held up for a year now.

The only thing better about using speakers... You don't have to hassle with putting buds in/out when you take the helmet off or put it on. But, buds are not a big deal, either.

Using speakers, the trick is to get them properly spaced and positioned in the helmet.
Too far away from ear canals- no bass, tinney, low volume. Takes some time to get them properly aligned and spaced as close to your ears as possible, but I've done it with good success.

Buds are just better, IMHO.
Bob

Good Luck with that Sena 20s.  ::)
Nothing but a constant stream of problems with mine since I bought the SET, 1.5 years ago.
Literally, I have never been ablle to use them in a pr., because one of them is always broken or malfunctioning.
Replaced both units once, and still having issues with connectivity and new software updates.
Garbage.

With that said, I finally gave-up on the in-helmet speakers, and bought a decent set of earbuds last fall.
Westone w30's.
Yes, they are expensive.  But I like high-end audio equipment, and decided to splurge.
Wires ARE replaceable (as noted, wires are THE most common failure point of all earbuds)
I have not yet FULLY tested these on a ride, but I expect good things.
The hardest part for me, is to get them to stay IN my ears when  i put my helmet on my head!  :-[

gr

Look up your local Gun range and shops. One of them should be able to do the form fit earplugs ( they inject it into your ears for an exact fit).  After they dry and set A decent shop will be able to fit them to accept any of the round speaker type ear buds ( I prefer the Sony brand).  Perfect noise attenuation, great sound, and if you pull a wire, no sweat just grab another set of buds ( they pop in and out of the form fit earplugs)  My set of form fits lasted over 3 years before the dog decided it was a toy, my next set should last even longer

I've used Sena helmet systems with speakers and still prefer the in ear option .  Just my .02

Chris,

I use Fit-Ear custom made earbuds. They block exterior sound and sound superb. Earbuds require more fiddling with insertion and wires that speakers in a helmet. With my intercom system I can select if I am going to use earbuds or the in helmet speakers. I find earbuds are a pain when I am riding around town doing errands with many short duration trips.

oldsmoboat

The build quality is very good.  Lost one set in 4 years due to my being a bit aggressive with them.

Josh

I have the 20S and these work great in my Shoei Neotec with the stock speakers! Speaker volume and the mic works with no issues, both high and low. Prior to the 20S and NeoTec purchase, I was using earbuds and an Arai helmet. I tried the 20S in my Arai helmet and can see how folks would think the speakers are low, so it's definitely a helmet + speaker combination & placement.

oldsmoboat said:
I have the 20s and I find the speakers to have too low of a volume.  I contacted Sena but they don't care.  I tried aftermarket speakers and had the same result.

I have the Sena SMH-10.  I found that if the speakers were attached directly to the helmet shell, their volume was not sufficient.  So I cut foam "bases" to put under the speakers and got them to where they were not touching my ears, but have so much volume that I can hear my music clearly doing 100 mph.  I always wear ear plugs, and they cut the tinny high end off the small speakers, giving a very satisfactory final product.

ghostrider990 said:
Good Luck with that Sena 20s.  ::)
Nothing but a constant stream of problems with mine since I bought the SET, 1.5 years ago.
Literally, I have never been ablle to use them in a pr., because one of them is always broken or malfunctioning.
Replaced both units once, and still having issues with connectivity and new software updates.
Garbage.

That's surprising.  My SMH-10 is from 2009 and I have never had a single problem.  I hope they haven't let the quality drop off; I have been waiting for mine to die to get a 20.

robertv said:
I have the 20S and these work great in my Shoei Neotec with the stock speakers! Speaker volume and the mic works with no issues, both high and low. Prior to the 20S and NeoTec purchase, I was using earbuds and an Arai helmet. I tried the 20S in my Arai helmet and can see how folks would think the speakers are low, so it's definitely a helmet + speaker combination & placement.

Hey, I just picked up my new Neotec helmet and am going to pull the trigger on a Sena 20s.  Simple installation overall?  Straight forward?

Thanks!

Hated dealing with bud placement being dislodged when I put on my helmet and over time.  Also dealing with the wires. 
As others have said the speakers are fine if you mount then correct.  Think of it as a pair of over the ear headphones.  If they are not RIGHT OVER YOUR EAR they will not be loud enough or have enough bass.  Try it with any over the ears you have at home.  Pull them a half inch off your ear and off center a bit and see how much the sound sucks over having then perfect in place.  Same problem.  Space them out to just touching your ears comfortably and in line with the canal.  :great:

I use a 20S.  The speakers were ok, but they do not help with road noise.  I had a problem with ear buds not staying in place.  My solution was  Decibullz - Custom Molded Contour ES In-Ear Headphones.  They have been comfortable, and sound good (perhaps not great), and do not move a bit with putting the helmet on or riding.  This is about my 6th solution, and it is the best so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Contour-Ear-Headphones-Quickly/dp/B01M2VMAUI/ref=pd_sim_200_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M2VMAUI&pd_rd_r=BWXGGFTNDFGQ9V863F25&pd_rd_w=kVsCp&pd_rd_wg=w1kXP&psc=1&refRID=BWXGGFTNDFGQ9V863F25

RodneyW said:
I use a 20S.  The speakers were ok, but they do not help with road noise.  I had a problem with ear buds not staying in place.  My solution was  Decibullz - Custom Molded Contour ES In-Ear Headphones.  They have been comfortable, and sound good (perhaps not great), and do not move a bit with putting the helmet on or riding.  This is about my 6th solution, and it is the best so far.

I had prompted this question before, specifically about the Decibullz.  Got the typical wishywashy answer....going to go this route.  Anything in ear is going to be much more consistent when putting a helmet on and off.  Thanks for the point! 

Jim said:
RodneyW said:

I had prompted this question before, specifically about the Decibullz.  Got the typical wishywashy answer....going to go this route.  Anything in ear is going to be much more consistent when putting a helmet on and off.  Thanks for the point!

I had to take a little time when molding them, two tries for one ear, three for the other, to get them to fir perfectly.  Maybe 15 minutes total.  They are easy to work with, it is more a matter of figuring out how you want them to fit.  I would also note that the cords are thicker, more heavy duty than typical ear buds, or at least they seem to be.