• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Edit: [solved] The old forum sucked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'n Bob

I hate this Forum. You spend 15 minutes typing a post with a lot of good points and different views. And when you go to post it. Boom it's gone, instead you get log on again!!!!! And I can arrow back to it. All because I forgot that I had to copy every single post on this forum because it does this $hit. Maybe I'll try it again later after I cool off.      The above was all that's left or redone on a very nice post I had ready to reply with. No but because I forgot that I have to copy every single thread I post on this forum. It's gone. And I couldn't go back with the arrows. It gives me either blank screens or that stupid log on screen. Colin I told you in Fontana that if it's not user friendly, people won't come here. Well I've been giving it a try. But I'll tell you that I get more frustrated with this forum than I would if I was on that stupid arena that Rick has. My point being that it's not user friendly at all. This is why everyone stays on Concours (dot) org. And yes I'll remember to copy this so I don't loose it too!!!    Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak 
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Bob, There is a product called Crossloop. It is a free tool to get assistance. If you would like to download it at www.crossloop.com and then send me a PM for contact information, I would be happy to help you look at the problem by remoting into your system. We could arrange a time and I could call you. Crossloop is a TightVNC based product that connects via a central website. You run it and select the SHARE tab, provide the person giving assistance your code (displayed on the screen) and then click connect. The person on the other end keys in your code and clicks connect. You will get a pop-up asking if you want to allow the connection from the assistor. You install it to not run on start-up and since it requires authorization before connections happen, you are more secure than just letting someone remote in automatically. I use the forum from 2 different computers as well as my Blackberry. I haven't had any instance where I have been kicked off. Just an offer to assist. Thanks,

I just use the old trick of logging back in, then hitting the back arrow twice. It take me right back to the forum input page, and all my text is still there. Now that I am logged on, I just hit submit and it takes it this time. SCENARIO: 1. Spend 45 minutes carefully composing and editing a thoughtful contribution to COGdom. 2. Click SUBMIT. The Login Page comes up. 3. Say bad words. Loudly. 4. Log In. 5. Click on Back Arrow once. Login Page reappers. 6. Click on Back Arrow once again. The forum input page, along with all the text I carefully composed and edited, appears. 7. Click on submit, and input is successfully posetd to the forum. It's a pain in the ass, but doable. Thanks for posting this on this forum, as I agree it does need to be fixed. This is stupid. I can stay logged on to dopey Facebook all day, what the hell is the issue with staying on more than 10 frikkin' minutes? The more of us that gripe about this, the more ammunition Colin has to get it fixed. Or change servers.

I tried that Rich. It doesn't work for me. I go back and it's gone. anyway, I'm going to try what Norm suggested. I'm going to wipe the cookies in my computer and retry the remember me before logging in. Maybe it will work this time. If not Mr. Elliott will definitely be hearing from me. Thanks Guys. I've had a few hours to cool off. It's time to try and rectify this problem again. I'm getting tired of venting on Colin!!!!! Sorry Colin. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

OK, I tried Norms idea. I hope it works this time with the cookies deleted first. so far, so good. But it's only been a minute. LOL Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

well...??? -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

So far so good. It's been over an hour. The true test will be in a few days. I'll know if it asks me to log in, then it does it again. I'm just going to keep hitting the REMEMBER button. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Bob, anytime it asks for you password then you do need to check the box. I just hit the home page and click on the forum and I'm right in,never see the log in box anymore.

well it's been almost 18 hours and it hasn't booted me yet! I'm not going to celebrate yet, but it's looking good. I think I'll try to edit the title of this thread to something a little softer. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

I think I'll try to edit the title of this thread to something a little softer. Oh well it won't let me. I guess I'm stuck with the kind of harsh title. :eg: Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Oh well it won't let me. I guess I'm stuck with the kind of harsh title.
As an option, you can request an admin to delete the thread. :p -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

No way! I can't afford the loss on my post count. You have a big head start on me! :) Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

I think the post count remains the same. Glad it worked for you Bob, I had the same issue in the past when I first discovered the "kick you off" feature LOL

Thanks to the help of the stellar "Forum Team" another happy customer LoL Sorry you had all that hassle Bob. But glad we got it figured out. Norm Please can you add a note about this issue in one of the stickies so we can all refer to it. It would be nice if the Forum allowed one to edit the Subject line! :( Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I know a lot of people empathize with your feelings about the rather clumsy attempt at forum software that Memberize has provided, but it does cover the basics. It'd be nice to have something with better features and rumor once had it that there's supposed to be something happening in that direction. So I don't think your topic title is offensive, even though it will exist for the vast eternity of the COGMOS. :)

Back to the top. This just happened to me and I am pissed. I'll redo my post later after I chill out. Which will be hard in this weather. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Since learning a couple simple tricks I have never lost any posts since. When you hit send and it asks for you to log in do it and then just hit the back button on your browser till you get back to your post and hit send. It should go. Or if you are a scared then before you log in just hit back and copy the text from your reply and paste it somewhere till you log back in. Or best case remember to check the remember me when you log in. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

This hasn't happened to me in forever, I don't know why you guys are still experiencing it. I leave myself logged in though so maybe that's it. I do have this advice though: Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C Ctrl-A = Select All Ctrl-C = Copy Then, if you lose it, Ctrl-V = Paste

Brett - same with me. No issues since forever. Both at home and elsewere. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Well it did it again. I just spent 15 to 20 minutes typing a post on a thread. But this lovely forum dumped it on me again just as I was finishing up. And you wonder why you can't get people on this Forum! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Hmmm because no matter how many times you tell someone how to avoid the problem they do not listen and do it again? That can happen on any forum. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

From June 25th till September 13th without having to log in or have a problem. Then on September 13th it does it again for no reason. That's 2 1/2 months. I also didn't have to log in today like every day for the last 2 1/2 months. It also didn't ask me to log in when it dumped me! So the log in part has nothing to do with yesterdays problem. So tell me Bob how to fix this problem? Because obviously Clearing the cookies and clicking remember me only works on for a while or when it feels like it. And since it doesn't ask for me to log in now, obviously log in isn't the problem. So I guess your "tricks" won't work anyway. I have a better idea. How about software that doesn't do this in the first place. By the way, this is the "ONLY" site the has ever given me problems like this. How about "YOU LISTEN" when I tell you that there is a problem here. Just because you haven't had a problem, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. You sound like the people that never had a KIPASS problem tell the people that have had KIPASS problems that there's nothing wrong with the system! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

OK, let's go thru this again... The forum is just a "tool", it came with the package that was selected mostly for the other things that it does very well (like secure credit card processing, store front, membership management, ...). We did not select this forum, we also have to live with it. At the time, there was a perfectly good forum being used by the club (ya, you know which one I'm talking about. We could easily start that fire going again, but let's not go there). We can't change anything about the forum, it is embedded into the rest of the package. I know it suck, the IT guys knows it sucks, we all know it sucks (when you compare it to other standalone packages). But busting each others nutz ain't good help anything. And obviously, no-one is keepping the "supper secret" method of never getting dumped from anyone. It just happens. Personally, I'm so tired of forums and the BS that always seems to happen in them. Far more important things in life... Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649

Because obviously Clearing the cookies and clicking remember me only works on for a while or when it feels like it. And since it doesn't ask for me to log in now, obviously log in isn't the problem. So I guess your "tricks" won't work anyway. I have a better idea. How about software that doesn't do this in the first place.
I have not cleared my cookies or even seen the log on page in near a year. Check your cookie settings Bob, if they are set to expire in a given amount of time then you need to change that setting. Since you are the only one who still reports this issue it would seem to be on your end. I would love to see this forum replaced but the cost of using another host is prohibitive especially when the increased costs would only be an improved forum. We have had NO issues with online registration, the store front or any of the other features Memberize provides at a much lower cost than any other hosts. Maybe we should go the route Rick took and go all profit,we could get some Google or Bing ad's, open an "arena" to increase site traffic and allow people to use multiple accounts so they can troll and increase page views which = $$$ :gasp:

You right the forum sucks. I guess I will just shoot myself. It does work the same way every time and any diversion from that is changes in your browser or computer not the forum software. If it was dumping everyone everyday then a lot more complaints would be here. When you got dumped did you try going back on the browser and copying the text you entered to a safe place while you figured out the problem or did you close the window loosing all chance of recovering from the problem? ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

Bob; Sorry that you are frustrated with loosing all the text you typed in. I would be too. In fact I was the first time I lost it. However since then I have been able to use the back button to bring back the contents from my local cache. Re:
We can't change anything about the forum, it is embedded into the rest of the package. I know it suck, the IT guys knows it sucks, we all know it sucks
Yes I do know it, and I have also made the offer/suggestion both on the forum and in the Concourier for anyone to email me their frustrations so that I may send them onto Memberize to add fuel to the fire. Here is their challenge... Memberize have been unable to find forum software such as the one used here where they can have access to the source code as well as it being the right 'flavor' for their codebase and database. I found this a little strange but take them at their word. Keep in mind that this forum does have a fair amount of integration with the rest of the system. I even offered to help look for such a plugin if they give me the criteria/specifications they need it to support. As yet I have not had one email from any forum subscriber voicing their frustrations or listing their complaints. I will be happy to receive them and forward them on. We can change things, but it will take time and our powers of persuasion :) Best Colin Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Just to clarify. This has happened on three different computers. My home desk top, my work, and my lap top. All have had the cookies erased and I then logged in selecting remember me. I did this following Norms suggestion. It for the most part has worked. But every now and then it will bite me now. I will be typing. The next thing I know the "Reply to Topic" just refreshes and the screen goes blank like I was just starting the reply. If I hit the back arrow, it brings me directly to the thread that I was replying to in the first place. There is no forward arrow. It now doesn't ask me to log in again since Norm's solution. So I don't need to log in at all, before ,during and after the mishap. It's like the screen just refreshes back to a fresh "Reply To Topic" window. There's no sign of the old text anywhere. I can't go back to it. I didn't copy it before it disappeared, because I wasn't done typing. And the computer still seems to recognize who I am on the forum. I don't have to log in again. It's just like I reached up and clicked on the refresh button on the top of the screen, while I'm typing. And it has done this to me with three separate computers. One hardwired through my home. One one my companies network. And my wireless laptop on a third network. All three computers use different operating systems. I'm not trying to be nasty towards anybody. But it is frustrating. All of the suggestions won't or don't seem to help (with the exception Norm made way back when it was kicking out my ID log in). But since then the things I stated happen now and then. Mostly on a longer post, but not always. I never know when it's going to bite me. It seems to be when I let my guard down! :confuse: Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

I agree that would be real frustrating to me. It does not seem to be a widespread problem but with it happening on so many computers and networks for you seems it like a forum problem. Why only for you though? If it was me and no solution is found then I would write my replies in email or word and copy and paste into the forum screen when done. Photos[/url]

Okay, if I understand the problem correctly, you're just typing in a reply and the screen will refresh causing you to lose all your text. That's not the familiar problem we're all used to where we submit the reply and get dumped from the forum. Am I hearing you right?

I am going to open this reply and let it just sit for a while and see if it clears itself. 3:29 start 3:36 3:51 4:15 sorry I have to go now but never cleared on me in 45 minutes. Photos[/url]

Yeah Brett, When I first started having any problems, I noticed that it was when I was submitting the post. That's when Norms solution to wipe the cookies and start over seemed like it fixed my problems. Then now and then it would do it again but what I noticed later is that it now, it wasn't submitting when I was when it would happen. Plus it wasn't asking me to log in like the other one. It would just refresh while I was in the middle of typing. It didn't seem to do it a lot. It also seemed to do it at different times. But the longer replies are when it really frustrates me. I think because you've been thinking and typing your words into the reply post, just to inadvertently have it vanish before your eyes before your done. I think Bob's solution would work although being slightly inconvenient. But it probably would be a good protection on a long reply. The problem that will probably make it near impossible to find is because it does it only now and then. Sometimes it would be in the first sentence, sometime a couple of hundred words later. You never seemed to know. It strikes without warning and normally when your starting to relax your worries about it happening because it hasn't done it for a short while. It's like a little software terrorist waiting for me to let my guard down, before it strikes! :eg: Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Hey Bob, Just my $.02 as someone who has posted on a variety of internet forums and newsgroups, and who works with a computer all day: Anytime you're going to spend 45 minutes composing a post, do it in Notepad, Wordpad, or MS Word first (and save early and often), then copy and paste to the forum when it's ready. Sort of like defensive driving. Even if the forum software works perfectly, there's always the possibility of a browser problem, internet connection interruption, system crash, or, heaven forbid, human error. For me it's more like 5 minutes or so that I start to feel wary about a website remembering what I'm entering, and I take "defensive measures". IMO just a sensible practice to learn. Edit: Oops, just noticed that you said 15 minutes, not 45 minutes, but still... long enough that you don't want to do it over again. 2005 Concours - "Vanessa" COG#8820
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Hey BBAR... I have to admit it is my fault. Since I have nothing else to do these days I have secretly hacked into all your computers and randomly log you out while you are typing BTW - all that porn is clogging up your hard drive and keeping me preoccupied. :p -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

One other thought I had on this subject. If your keyboard is like mine and the control key is anywhere near the shift key then that can be bad. I myself have hit control instead of shift and depending what key you hit next just about anything can happen. Photos[/url]

Or to add to Brett's question, accidently hitting CTRL+R (also runs a refresh) and could accidently be done on most keyboards when trying to get a capital R. Another $.02

Hey I'm the first to admit that my pencils have erasers. Anything is possible. But it just seems strange that this is the only forum of the bunch that I'm on that has done anything like this to me. Who knows! ;p Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

2linby said:
This forum sucks no more.

Agreed. I retract any previous statements about the old forum because it's a moot point now. I applaud the efforts of Colin and the rest involved with upgrading to this new forum software. Well done guys!

How about this change in title? 
BBAR,  if you edit your original post, you can update the thread title.  I think only the original poster or admin can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.