• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Eight years on the OEM battery

I'm amazed with you Harry. My 13 still has the OEM battery. I've never had any battery last that long. It's always on a tender when not being ridden. Have to clean up the terminals, from time to time, but that's it.

It's official. She still cranking over with the OEM battery on the first push of the start button. AMAZING.
I replaced Blue’s 6 year old battery out of an abundance of caution - probably tossed away a couple years+ of battery. It’s one of those items that you just don’t know until YOU KNOW and it’s too late.

We at times do use heated gear, at full pull (both of us all garments) that is two pairs of pants and two full jacket liners. At times when RPMs drop we are pulling off the battery which does introduce harsher duty than most riders - and I was noticing battery voltage dropping very quickly to an unsafe level and intermittent slower cranking.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Have to clean up the terminals, from time to time, but that's it.
That's odd. I've never cleaned my terminals. They've been spotless since the get go. I did have to tighten them once after I bought it as the dealer didn't seem to know how to use tools. I just check the tightness once a year to keep them in tight.

The longest run I've ever had on any battery was a Yuasa that was installed in a 1973 Toyota Land Crusher. It took 11 years before that thing gave out, and even then, I milked it even more by push starting it on cold mornings. When I could no longer push start it, I threw in the towel and bought a new one. I'm not sure, but I recall that battery may have been a heavy duty type with thicker plates.

My 2015 still on original battery too. I get about 10 years on my ninja. Always on a tender. But I think I have a record. I purchased my John Deere tractor in 2003 from dealer. This was before they started selling them at big box stores. Delivered on 7/12/03. Every spring I keep wondering if this will be the year it doesn't start. But it keeps on going. Can I make 21 years?? And it is not on tender. Was for several years early on. Really hard to believe.

I thought 10 years was a long life. Never ever heard of a battery lasting 23 years. I worked at my family's Western Auto for 17 years, so I have sold a couple in my life.

I'm a little past 10 yrs. on the original Yuasa AGM battery and I've given it nearly no love for the entire duration.

Once, I parked the bike at work and accidently placed the key in the Park position and had to get push started in order to ride home. I used to have a battery tender but used it very sparingly. It's also not uncommon for it to sit in the garage for a few weeks between rides since rush hour traffic has gotten nearly unbearable.

Last Friday it struggled to start the bike in the morning and after work. Might be time.....

I got 12 years out of my Shorai LiFePO4 battery. Never even needed to put it on a charger. Installed it in 2011, finally replaced it with another one earlier this year.
Which model number of Shorai are you using Fred ?

Which model number of Shorai are you using Fred ?

21 Amp Hour LFX21A6-BS12

large.jpg

Thank you Fred . Did you put it on the charger in the off season ?

No. LiFePO4 batteries have an extremely low self discharge rate, unlike lead acid batteries, so you really don't need to put them on a charger. It also dropped seven pounds off the bike because it's much lighter (3 lbs versus 10)