• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Electric Connection Recommendation Requested

Sport rider

Iron Butt
I got some grip heaters from Murph's and it's time to get them put on.  I'd like to have them switched through the key so I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them off.  does anyone have any particular suggestions as to where it could be connected?  Is it even a good idea to splice it in someplace, or should I run a separate line to the battery due to the draw?

any ideas appreciated!  :great:

Separate line to the battery.  Use a relay that is triggered by something else when the key is on to energize the circuit for the grip heaters.  Running lights make a good relay trigger.

Dave, do consider an aux fuse box for future farkles.

81W4Hg-PoyL._SL1500_.jpg

You may wanna hook up the relay trigger to the wire that kicks in the headlight, I believe it is the blue one coming out of the Jbox. That way the loads from the aux box do not pull on the battery until it's running. Use at least a 30 amp relay, 40 would be better. I have headlights, aux lights, extra horns, grip heat, trailer lighting, and clothing outlet fed from the aux box. It lightens the load on the Jbox in my case.

HTH.

I used Murph's fuse box. It was a little pricey but included the relay AND instructions. If I can do it right the first times..well almost anybody can.  ;D

Outback Jon said:
Separate line to the battery.  Use a relay that is triggered by something else when the key is on to energize the circuit for the grip heaters.  Running lights make a good relay trigger.

If you're only doing one add on like grip heaters, this is a good way to go just using a relay. But I would prefer to trigger/switch the relay off  of headlight circuit to help protect the battery upon start up.
But if going with multiple accessories. Then definitely go with an auxiliary fuse box.

good idea guys.  I think it's time for the aux block with a relay.  I can use it for my gps connection, charger for the video camera and now the heated grips.  Off to Murphs I go.....again!  :great: