• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Emergency contact info???

Yuma

Moped
Last weekend I was out for a ride with a long time fellow rider and friend. A good 140 miles away from home on a nice two lane road full of twiesties and the worst happened, He went down! ...:gasp: (He did walk way from the accident with only a broken wrist and a few cracked ribs). His BMW R1150RT unrideable... :( Well his cell phone did work and he call his son, all good. But this got me thinking. I have known him for years and I have HIS cell phone & work numbers BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CONTACT HIS WIFE or any family member.. :8o: So if the worst case ever happened what could I do????? Now I do have a sticker/package on the back of my helmet with contact information (But even he did not know about it). Well my question is: What is the best practice? I know of many rides I have no clue who even some of the riders are... Much less how to contact their family and they mine. Is it OK to ask everyone for this?? (I doubt it):quest: How many of us know this information for our weekly riding friends? What your thoughts???? Yuma, Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

All riders should have that info in a place that makes sense. If not then they are asking for what they get. I usually have the one in my wallet and one in my riding jacket. Both are places most will look. If you are worried about your friends hand them a form and suggest good places to keep copies of it. Here is one I found right quick with a search. http://wetleather.com/medform ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Bob; Thanks for the link. That's what I have from Whitehorse Press (or Aerostich) that's inside a plastic sleeve that sticks to your helmet or jacket. But the point that I was bring up is that only a few of us even think about safety (present company and many true LD riders/Sport Tourers, etc) How should we think? I do like your idea of handing fellow riders that form. Thanks, Yuma Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

It doesn't help your fellow riders or if you are out of state, but Ohio just started an In Case of Emergency contact database that the BMV operates. You enter your info (Name, D/L number and SSN) and the contact info for up to 2 contacts on the BMV website. The police, FD/EMS and hospitals have access to it. My cellphone has a dedicated In Case of Emergency contact/speed dial in the contact list. I have heard others enter a contact/speed dial labeled 'ICE'. I also have the stick-on packet on.. Uh Oh, I just realized, I got a new helmet a few months ago and haven't transferred the packet from my old helmet. I'll be sure to do that when I get home tonight. Bill Hookman Columbus, OH COG #6893, Ohio AAD CDA #0278 The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.

I too have the one from Whitehorse and another in my wallet (I'm not always on my bike). But I think it is not at all unreasonable to ask for contact info before a ride. Sure, there are going to be a few folks that think you nuts, but if something happens (the only reason you want the info) they'll be glad they gave it to you. Besides, if you trust me to lead you (or vice versa) into a high speed, blind corner why won't you trust me with the phone number of a loved one. If you can't, then maybe we aren't suited as riding partners. Just a thought. If nothing else, hand out some 3x5 cards and have folks put that info down and then keep it in a pocket or wallet. You only get the info if needed, but you KNOW it will be available. Just another thought. Now I'm tired and have to rest. ;)

I placed my Meds/Allergy & ICE <b>I</b>ndividual to <b>C</b>ontact in an <b>E</b>mergency )(or <b>I</b>n <b>C</b>ase of <b>E</b>mergency) info on the back of my helmet using a label maker. Photo to follow. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)
Code:
 Your Code Goes Here
E

Yuma: I have my I.C.E. info programmed in to my cell phone and most of my riding friends do to. But, there's always a chance I may be riding alone or with some one who doesn't know that or just plain forgets. I also have a ResQtag(We TeesU.com) that provides two small, red colored packets that attach to your jacket and pants (usually attacjed to a zipper pull) and a decal that on the front of my helmet with a medic alert symbol on it. Inside the packet are spaces for name, address, contact info,prescription info. These were readily available a couple of years ago on line. But the last set i bought I had to go through a shop that had some left over. I think the Aerostitch item is similar. I think it's very worth while; in August of this year the paramedics used mine and was very impressed with the amount of info. They commented they wished the would see more of this kind of item, although they also wished they hadn't had to use mine. Most of my riding buddies had forgotten about my cell phone info!! Take care and ride safe, Bob Young State of Jefferson COG #5753

This is a great topic subject. Some really great input and some food for thought. Not sure what goes on at COG activities around the USA, but here in the northeast we only collect personal and emergency contact info for rallies. I have asked AADs to use a ride sign in form that also doubles as a waiver. I will be expanding this form to include emergency contact info. I think the ride leader should have contact info in case a rider does not make show up at the destination point.
If nothing else, hand out some 3x5 cards and have folks put that info down and then keep it in a pocket or wallet. You only get the info if needed, but you KNOW it will be available.
This is a great idea in addition to the sign in sheet. If a rider goes down away from the ride leader all his info is with him for EMS. What also should be included on the other side of the 3x5 card is the ride leader's phone number, in case the rider gets lost or EMS/other riders need to call to let them know what happened. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director, AMA, MSF RC (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I have been using a med tag I picked up from ebay for a buck my name allergies and contact info that is all I us. Its red so catches everyone's eye immediately. I also use the spot tracker as well on solo trips. Some folks like it.. It help my family know Im alive, not a tether but a necessity. While looking for the link I found both of these. This is the place I got the round one on my jacket zipper: My-Identity-Doctor.com They will be interested if you have insurance or not in your wallet.SO.... http://cgi.ebay.com/MEDICAL-ALERT-WALLET-CARD-METAL-CUSTOM-ENGRAVED-/150355332178?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2301e04c52

When my son wrecked the nurse at the hospital went right for his wallet. Now I have a picture of my family with all the names and contact info for each family member on the back right next to my drivers license. Then in my cell phone I have all my family members listed by relationship with an a at the front so they are at the top of the contact menu. so it looks like a wife a son #1 a daughter #2 a son #3 Then the names in the contact info. My sons wallet was all they grabbed when thay put him in the helicopter everything else was left at the scene .

FWIW, I'm often on an adventure ride, sometimes in a foreign country, and find peace of mind with dog tags. They are always with me, provide a lot of information, are durable and cheap to buy. It's also a place where medical or responders first look.

Go to www.securedataid.com, for info on medical info that fits on a credit card size but info on computer chip that'll hold a lot more info than ideas mentioned previously. Can be updated & is able to be read in EMS or emergency departments. Card is properly labeled for EMS to recognize.