• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Emergency First Aid

dcman98

Moped
Though it's best to talk about how to avoid a crash, it is worth reflecting on what to do after one. The other day, I saw a motorcycle and rider down on the shoulder of the freeway, and it occured to me that one of the rules as I remember is unless necessary, never move an accident victim. His friends attending to him had also removed his helmet.

I need to bone up on my first aid, but I wanted to know, how many people ride with a first aid kit, and what's in it? I need to build one for my bike.

I carry a small zippered bag in a side bag or in my tank bag. I've got bandaids, 2X2 gauze sponges, an ace bandage, scissors, tweezers, aspirin, advil, benedryl, a small sharp knife, a needle and thread, some neosporin, a few kotex napkins-to stuff into a wound, I always carry a few towels for serious blood, some medical tape, any tape works really, a penlight, a chemically activated ice bag, alcohol wipes or bleach wipes, I do both, I always carry some gatorade too. Thats all I can think of off hand, and it all goes into a small 6 inch by 2 inch bag.

I have about the same size 1st Aid Kit that I got from Aerostitch, I think as a Xmas present.  Always on the bike.  Also have one in my car.  Don't know what's in 'em though.

I have a backpacking first aid kit....  won't do much for a major injury, but great for minor scrapes, cuts, etc....

Having a 1st aid kit is good, but knowing how to use it is better. Even more important is knowing what to do if you happen upon an crash.  Accident Scene Management, Inc  (www.accidentscene.net) offers excellent training courses around the country.

edit to add:
They are a good resource to purchase a self contained trauma kits.. they have different levels from basic 1st aid to more advanced kits. http://accidentscene.org/sos/packs.htm

Expanding on Strawbosses kit... latex gloves, 1" diameter 50cc syringe for flushing wounds, antiseptic wipes, 4x4 sterile pads, 2nd Skin pads, moleskin, burn cream, triangle sling and a face shield for mouth to mouth (and some other stuff). And the knowledge how to use the stuff. If you haven't taken a first reponder class, do it.

First responders stabilize the victim until the pros arrive, but you still need to know what you're looking at. It ain't hard, and in fact has gotten easier now that they no longer recommend mouth to mouth, just chest compressions.

My kit started as a Mel Cotton backpacking kit and had stuff added specifically for moto injuries - think road rash. I've never had to use it (touch wood), but keep my first responder cert current.

I get these small little first aid kits for Xmas every couple of years. So I have a couple of them.  :)

I will add my 3 cents to  S Smith. Encourage the power structure to have the Accident Scene Management people for 2014, let them know your interest.