• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

emergency foot peg repair

well, i had the unfortunate experience of breaking my right side foot peg last weekend. i'm not gonna get into how it got broken but is there a cda award for low speed crashes? i've read about using a bolt and meant to add them to my tool kit, of course i hadn't gotten around to it yet. so here i am like 500 miles from home and nothing to put my right foot on. my first thought was try to use the passenger peg. the pin is a lot smaller but i tried to make it work and ended up with total success. after taking off what was left of the peg i removed the passenger peg and used everything but that washer that is part of the locking mechanism. when you put the peg in the holder the hole aligns perfectly with the edge of the over sized hole in the mount. i slid the pin in and wiggled the peg around some and the pin moved around some but never really tried to fall out. after that i put the circlip on the bottom and tried to push it out either way. i could get it to go through the hole in the mount but it still didn't have enough play to just fall off. satisfied this was gonna work i wrapped some electrical tape around the pin just to play it safe that the pin wouldn't move. it worked for me and i just thought i'd share :)

Good to know that worked. When I broke mine, I actually broke the footpeg mount and the footpeg was ok. I wonder if the bolt solution would work with that? David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

I had the unfortunate experience of having my bike blown over in a camp ground snapping off the right foot peg mouting braket in Bishop right before riding through Yosimite. I started heading back to San Diego all bumbed out, and about 10 minutes into the ride, decided that my right leg felt compfortable resting on the passenger peg and my knee on the faring. Wound up turning around and riding the rest of the trip that way and had a blast.

david, yes the bolt would work in that situation. from what i understand the bolt replaces one of the mount bolts, it's just a lot longer. if i had broken the mount i would've been looking for a hardware store and the longest metric bolt they had that fit.

I ordered a few of the shoulder bolts from Murph and keep them on the bike "just in case" me or someone else needs them. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Tom wrote:
well, i had the unfortunate experience of breaking my right side foot peg last weekend. i'm not gonna get into how it got broken but is there a cda award for low speed crashes?
Sorry, no CDA awards for crashes. But I do feel for ya! Those spare bolts from www.murphskits.com can come in real handy. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

How low a speed was the crash? I thought that CDAs were good to 5MPH. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

thanks guys, i wasn't looking at the speedo when it happened but i think it was probably about 10 or 15 mph. i was already braking, trying to increase my following distance as the mountain road i was on had some slow moving traffic. suddenly the bike in front of me stopped short, when i saw his rear wheel pointing to the sky i grabbed a little more front brake and i was gone! front end washed right out from under me with no warning. i thought i was close enough to vertical as i was exiting the turn but i guess not. i've come to the conclusion that i will no longer be using the front brake at low speeds. i think i'm gonna try that tcb thing i was reading about on here and hopefully i'll never know it saved me.

I also just broke my right side footpeg, well not me exactly, I let my daughter's fiance take Ziggy for a short spin and when he stopped in front of me he leaned right to swing the side stand down and over went the bike before I could do anything but watch. Arrg! I ordered a new footpeg ten minutes later but I was a few days riding my KLR while I waited. So, how does this bolt trick work? Where does it go? I also have to say I'm a little envious of you, my southern brothers. Winter is closing in fast here in Canada. This morning I rode to work and it was -7 when I left the house (Celcius). I think I'll be able to ride all week but it is just a matter of time before the snow starts and withdrawal sets in. Happy Trails, --rodger

Better solution than ordering pegs or bolts: order Murphs' Tip Over Bars and install them at home, ahead of the "incident"..... mine have once saved much more than pegs.....

rodger, the bolt goes in place of the lower bracket mount bolt on either side. it's an 8mm x 1.25mm x about 130mm would be ideal. i'm not sure how long the one's murph has are but it's just a long shoulder bolt to get you home and have something to rest your foot on. ray, i've looked at those tip over bars and they seem pretty pricey for something that's only good for tip overs. i'm in the process of coming up with some kind of mount that will incorporate the nylon frame sliders they use on sport bikes.

Carry a emergency foot peg. In addition to the bolt (hardened) already mentioned I use a 1/2" dia pipe maybe 6" long. With washers at each end. This makes it strong enuf to support my weight if not more and slightly more contact area to support boot. Carry it in my tool bag. (hope it is still there)

Rodger, the bolt goes in place of the lower bracket mount bolt on either side. it's an 8mm x 1.25mm x about 130mm would be ideal. I'm not sure how long the one's Murph has are but it's just a long shoulder bolt to get you home and have something to rest your foot on.
Hey Tom how about writing up a Tech Page for it with some photo's :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

hey colin, i could probably do that. i love the idea dan has with using a piece of pipe on the bolt. i'm a plumber by trade so anytime i can use a piece of pipe for something i get that warm fuzzy feeling....lol i'm thinking of taking that idea one step further and weld the pipe to the bolt. about this article for the tech pages, are you looking for my OP using the passenger foot rest or how the bolt set up works or both?

Tom; The more the merrier, go for both. :) All I need is the text and pictures, your can leave the layout and formatting to us. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Would anyone with a broken footpeg (not the bracket) care to donate one to myself. I'm wanting one for a project to change the footpeg location. I'm going to reweld a new mount on it so if the original mount is broken off, thats OK. Thanks in advance and I'll gladly pay for shipping. Mark

You can have mine unless there is someone closer to you. Shipping from Canada is likely to be more expensive than locally. Let me know and send me your address.