• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Emulators and fork cap????

2qwk4u442

Need some help from the suspension pro's here :)
I'm rebuilding the forks on a 2000 C10, Im adding emulators & springs (1.0kg) from racetech. New bushings seals & wipers. While working out the measurements for cutting the spacers and looking over the fork cap-. I'm totally confused. 
There is the threaded centerpiece that passes thru the cap, and has the marks on it. What does this do? Even in stock configuration it doesn't look to engage or touch anything inside the fork? I would have guessed this to be for preload adjustment.
Furthermore, with the new components including the spacers- it again would seemingly look to do nothing.
I attached a photo of Racetech descriptions of different style caps, what do we have on our C10's???

Attachments

• rps20181107_074435.jpg
    rps20181107_074435.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 134
Looks to me like it's D.  The fork cap does allow for setting preload.  The threaded portion in the center pushes on the washer that sits atop the fork spring.  Hope that helps.

I would have thought D as well, but the "adjuster" doesn't contact the washer. They are the washers supplied with racetechs springs for this bike. The thru hole on the washer is bigger than the outside diameter of the "adjuster".
The spring & washer contact the cap as shown in version A.
Picture attached is the caps, minus the sealing o ring.

Attachments

• rps20181107_085716.jpg
    rps20181107_085716.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 111
  • rps20181107_085716.jpg
    rps20181107_085716.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 111
2qwk4u442, I'll agree that it's "D".

I think the washer you received with the springs,,,,  goes between the spacer and the spring.

I think the correct stack is; emulator/spring/new washer/spacer/thrust washer/cap w/adjuster...

When you removed your caps, there should have been a "thrust washer" on top of the spring that the adjuster pushes against.
It has a small hole in the center....
It has to be reused as it allow's the adjusters to "adjust" the pre load.

An EZ way to determine the correct length would be to set the new {emulator/spring/washer/spacer/thrust washer} stack beside the old spring and thrust washer.
The finished length should be the same, but DO consult Race tech for additional information..

Adjust your spacer as needed to get the correct length...

Ride safe, Ted

My understanding is the same  except I know nothing of a thrust washer.(emulator/spring/washer/spacer/washer/cap)
Big K diagram shows a washer as well, but I thought that one was the same as what Racetech supplied. (At work now, can't check)

Attachments

• rps20181107_092313.jpg
    rps20181107_092313.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 114
Is this what the 'thrust washer' looks like???

This was not in my bikes fork.
I suppose a previous owner coulda screwed up and left it out, but everything else I've disassembled with the forks looked original and normal.

Attachments

• rps20181107_103529.jpg
    rps20181107_103529.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 114