• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

engine noise

Ron Moss

Moped
A question about engine noise. My '06 Concours is my 29th motorcycle and has the loudest engine noise of any of my bikes. All the settings are spot on, I have tried the APE cam chain adjuster I could tell no difference. Before going on I worked at a friends motorcycle shop for three years after I retired so I know how to set and adjust things. My question is has anyone had any success with undercoating, insulation, etc to tame the noise? Yeah I know the ear plugs work and I do wear them. But like today I had to run to my Dr's office, didn't use the ear plugs coming back and noise way more than I'm willing to accept. If I don't find a way I may have to go back to BMW's. Oh and by the way that is the only fault I have with the. Everything else is great

Ron, when do you hear the noise,,at what RPM ? There has been some bikes found to have a loose bolt that holds the gear on the alternator. Valves,,6 thou intake and 8 thou exhaust?? CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

?????? So I have to ask: in relation to what? Since Big K seems to sell a bunch of these things and folks like me have been riding them for "prit near" 23 years, I have to assume you are referring to an abnormality and not complaining about the ZG1000's generic noise level. Wind noise was always the the issue with me, solved by good quality skid lids and earplugs, but if you have engine noise that trumps the wind noise, I would hazard to guess you certainly have a problem. What kind of noise? Clacking? Ticking? Screeaming? Exhaust noise? Gear whine? Does it vary with RPM, or vary with speed? Is it worse when cold, or worse when warm? Does it matter? Is the bike used or did you buy it new? Is there any aftermarket accessories installed? California or Federal model? Give us an idea what kind of noise you are experiencing and we can help. Since you replaced the cam chain tensioner, I am assuming it is not the classic ticka-tacka-clacka-click cam chain noise. If it's an RPM-dependant scream, it's the counterbalancer out of adjustment. Let us know.

+1 on Rich's post. The Connie engine is pretty quiet IMO, the wind-noise is a different matter. Duck your head down under the screen and all's pretty quiet, unless there is an issue with the rubber-band. Colin Prior COG Webmaster Lake Forest Park

What kind of noise? Clacking? Ticking? Screeaming? Exhaust noise? Gear whine? There seems to be a combo of the clacking and ticking. As though it were normal just louded than I think it should be. Does it vary with RPM, or vary with speed? Is it worse when cold, or worse when warm? Does it matter? One of the noises is a screching at about 2200 rpm that is louder when the weather is cold and less when warm but never goes away compleatly. Is the bike used or did you buy it new? Is there any aftermarket accessories installed? California or Federal model? I bought the bike used in '06 with only 1722 miles on it. Give us an idea what kind of noise you are experiencing and we can help. Overall, All the above. Since you replaced the cam chain tensioner, I am assuming it is not the classic ticka-tacka-clacka-click cam chain noise. Well, there is some of that but it comes and goes. If it's an RPM-dependant scream, it's the counterbalancer out of adjustment. As above, a screeching at 2200 rpm. I have adjusted the counterbalancer according to the book and every way I could think of. I am now thinking it is the bikes personally. It runs great, just noisy. Ever since the bike came out I wanted one but every time I rode one I thought man how loud the engine is. and didn't buy one. Well I finally did. As a side note some of the clicking and clacking dose mute a little as the bike warms up but not much.

Hmmm. The only other source of screeching I have encountered on the Concours is the speedometer. This usually happens when it's cold, and only at certain speeds. And of course, this is speed dependant, not RPM dependant. The counterbalancer screech would usually occur at any RPM, and you have adjusted that, so we can rule that out. The coming-and-going clicking-ticking is indeed a classic symptom of a loose cam chain. It will be worse when cold, and decrease or go away altother when warm, and only at idle. But, you have indicated this is not the case. You also indicate that there is more than one noise, and it is noticeably loud. Sorry, without hearing it for myself, I can only guess. If you are hearing rattling and clicking at higher RPMs. maybe it's time to pull the valve cover gasket and look for extra parts. Like others have said, the Concours has its share of gear whine and a little valve noise, all expected with an overhead cam direct-actuacted valves. I just had a thought and this is stretching, but I have no other suggestions: perhaps the last time the valves were serviced the reed valves were not replaced in the valve cover. The reeds allow for positive crankase venntilation, and without them you may be hearing lots of extra engine noise coming through the air box. Other than that, I am at a loss without experiencing it first hand. Is there a local COG gearhead in your area that can help?

The only other source of screeching I have encountered on the Concours is the speedometer. This usually happens when it's cold, and only at certain speeds. And of course, this is speed dependant, not RPM dependant. The counterbalancer screech would usually occur at any RPM, and you have adjusted that, so we can rule that out. The coming-and-going clicking-ticking is indeed a classic symptom of a loose cam chain. It will be worse when cold, and decrease or go away altother when warm, and only at idle. But, you have indicated this is not the case. You also indicate that there is more than one noise, and it is noticeably loud. Sorry, without hearing it for myself, I can only guess. If you are hearing rattling and clicking at higher RPMs. maybe it's time to pull the valve cover gasket and look for extra parts. Like others have said, the Concours has its share of gear whine and a little valve noise, all expected with an overhead cam direct-actuacted valves. I just had a thought and this is stretching, but I have no other suggestions: perhaps the last time the valves were serviced the reed valves were not replaced in the valve cover. The reeds allow for positive crankase venntilation, and without them you may be hearing lots of extra engine noise coming through the air box. Other than that, I am at a loss without experiencing it first hand. Is there a local COG gearhead in your area that can help? I spent the day going through the bike with a fine tooth comb and could find nothing. I adjusted the valves, set the carbs, made sure every thing was up to snuff. I had a friend who works for a Kawasaki dealer ( I worked for him at his shop after I retired and he said every thing seemed normal to him. So I guess it's me. Two many years of riding Honda's and BMW's. Thanks Rich and all that replied

When mine is cold it is quite noisy but as it warms up it quiets down. Noise is very subjective, what drives you nuts might not even register with me. I have had noisier bikes and I have had quieter bikes. If I was unhappy with it it would be gone. I don't ride bikes that I don't enjoy.

I also have a 2006, an the noise level seems high to me. The only thing I have to compare it with is a Honda Silverwing, which is as quiet as my brothers Goldwing. Me thinks I need to come to a meet and compare mine to other Connie's. If possible I will try to get to the meet in Jacksonville, FL next week, Providing I can sneak out. Just too many people wont a part of me.

Ron, I thought of your post last weekend while riding in the mountains because my Concours seemed much quieter. The only change I've recently made was to re-install those (ugly) air deflectors on the lowers. At high speeds the fairing creates a vacuum where sound is trapped. Perhaps my air flow was changed slightly allowing sound to be carried away. I know that vented fairings reduce noise also.

Virtually all fully faired motorcycles are "louder" than naked bikes. The fairings capture and (to an extent) amplify the normal sounds of the engine at work. Connie valves, when adjusted on the "loose" side of the specification are decidedly noisy (noisier than when on the "tight" side of spec anyway). You said you adjusted the valves,what clearances are your valves set to? Are you sure it's the engine? Does it make the same noises when sitting still on it's centerstand? That could rule out the speedo cable and/or a dragging brake pad.

I've owned quite a number of bikes, including a couple of BMW's. The Concours is by far the noisiest. Not just my Concours - I rode a few before I bought mine. BMW's tend to be very quiet. If you went from a BMW to the Concours, then you just have to get used to the noise, or go back to a BMW.

This sounds strange to me. I never found my C10 to be noisy at all. With the exception of some wind or very minor engine noise (IMO), I found the C10 to be one of my more quiet bikes. You should hear the noise the hydraulic valves on my Mean Streak makes. :p Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

So I guess it's me. Two many years of riding Honda's and BMW's. Thanks Rich and all that replied The C10 is not sewing machine quiet like a GL, ST, or numerous BMW's.....but it has it's own very distinct personality. There's a Ninja heart lurking beneath all that tupperwear and it's not to be denied. ;) Embrace the "chi" of the Ninja and ride like the wind.