• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine noise

Alrider

Big Wheel
Hi All.  I recently purchased an "08 C14 with 16K on it.  This isn't my first bike, but it is my first Kaw and my first in-line engine wrapped in tupperware so I may just be overly concerned.  At speeds above 70 MPH or holding above 3100 RPM I hear a constant clicking.  If I accelerate it subsides, but shows back up when the RPMs stabilize. Having just rebuilt my 1150RT I'm a little skittish about upper end noises.  I had the valve adjustment checked and all were in, although 2 were tight of center.  The sound is less like a valve tap or piston slap as it is a click - like the card in the spokes sound on a bicycle.  The dealer mech said it was normal.  Could this be the variable vane cams?  I'm running Rotilla 5W-40 in Charleston SC if that is a germane to the issue.  Thanks in advance...

Hi Al,

Check your exhaust header nuts. They have been known to loosen up creating noise like you described. Just a thought!