• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine Stalls when clutch squeezed

Professor

I have a tenancy to squeeze the clutch and coast into stops. This past winter Connie started to stall when I did this if the engine was still cold, I would just pop the clutch and she would restart. Over the last 2 weeks she does this every time I stop. She still restarts when I pop the clutch, but its getting annoying and unsafe. Yesterday I was shooting a gap in traffic when she stalled in the turn. I had to double clutch to get her started and still negotiate the curve. Not a fun experience.

I tried to get the self test to run, but I may be doing something wrong.

Any Ideas?

Professor,
'08 Connie, 38K

What is your idle set at?  It needs to be at least 1100 RPM or exactly what you are describing will happen.  If 1100 won't do it, try 1200.  If 1200 won't do it, then you probably have some issue that needs adressing with the carbs/intake tract. i.e. vacuum leak, etc.

+1  Mine did this right off the showroom floor and continued until I finally remembered to bump up the idle.  It was one of those things I would remember starting off and totally forget when I got home and parked the bike.

Rev Ryder said:
What is your idle set at?  It needs to be at least 1100 RPM or exactly what you are describing will happen.  If 1100 won't do it, try 1200.  If 1200 won't do it, then you probably have some issue that needs adressing with the carbs/intake tract. i.e. vacuum leak, etc.

WillyP said:
Gee, I hope it's not the carbs. They are hard to find on the '08's or so I hear. ;)
:)) :)) :))

Doh!  Kind of explains his "self-test" comment don't it.

OK, maybe I need to take a reading comprehension class or sumpin.  08 model. SHeesh!  Hey, thanks for not making me look stupid WIlly.  :-[  I guess I had that covered already.

Since this is an 08 and not a C10, I have to ask another question......
Have you changed your exhaust, pulled your flies, or done anything else to her?

Rev Ryder said:

I ran mine at about 1,300 RPM's. It ran much better at that idle speed!

I have made no internal changes to the motor. The Idle is about 1100, I'll bump it up and see what happens.
Thanks

Before making any adjustments I wanted to giver her one more try, so I took her to the corner. When I squeezed the clutch I noticed that the RPMs dropped to 800, then stalled. Once I restarted her the idol was between 1000 and 1100rpms. weird.

Anyway, I turn her up to between 11-1200 runs fine just have to get used tot he higher RPM and keep an eye on the temp, seems to go up faster at stop lights.

Thanks again.

PS. Did anybody else loose their profile during the switch, or is there a auto dump if you do not log in for a set amount of time?

My 2010 did the exact same thing when the idle was set at 1100RPM.  I finally gave in after several weeks (finally remembered after it was warm) and bumped it to 1200RPM, and it hasn't tried to stall when cold since.

It's far easier to adjust than it is just to remember to do it once it's warmed up after a ride.  ::)

If your engine speed dips below idle speed when you pull in the clutch, this can be a sign of several things, and can even be a side effect from using E10 gas. It also is probably mainly due to the way the fueling is programmed to cut off when you get off the gas. A reflash of the ECM can fix it.

Other things to consider are dirty fuel injectors and worn plug and out of sync throttle bodies. Syncing the throttle bodies will enable the engine to continue to run at a low idle speed without stalling, so that may prevent it from dying. New plugs will have a similar effect (if yours are worn).

Increasing the idle a bit may be enough to get you over the hump and keep it from dying. You might also try adding some Chevron Techron fuel cleaner additive to a tank or two of gas and run it through and see if that helps.

Fred - I have zero experience with the c-14, but I do know that automitive EFI generally has some type of IAC or method mf measuring throttle opening so that it can control base idle from dropping to quickly. Any such animal on the c-14? steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Fred - I have zero experience with the c-14, but I do know that automitive EFI generally has some type of IAC or method mf measuring throttle opening so that it can control base idle from dropping to quickly. Any such animal on the c-14? steve

There is no Idle Air Control (IAC) valve on the C14, though the secondary butterflies might be programmed to act somewhat like an IAC. That's just a guess on my part though, I don't have an evidence that they are.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
If your engine speed dips below idle speed when you pull in the clutch, this can be a sign of several things, and can even be a side effect from using E10 gas. It also is probably mainly due to the way the fueling is programmed to cut off when you get off the gas. A reflash of the ECM can fix it.

Other things to consider are dirty fuel injectors and worn plug and out of sync throttle bodies. Syncing the throttle bodies will enable the engine to continue to run at a low idle speed without stalling, so that may prevent it from dying. New plugs will have a similar effect (if yours are worn).

Increasing the idle a bit may be enough to get you over the hump and keep it from dying. You might also try adding some Chevron Techron fuel cleaner additive to a tank or two of gas and run it through and see if that helps.

Interesting points Fred.  Our state legislated E10 year round (idiots), and I've been very suspicious of the TB sync since it was new.  I always run name brand fuel when it's an option, usually either Chevron, Texaco, or Phillips 76.

I had a hard time convincing myself that the stalling, which seemed to only happen within a small window / combination of outside air temp and engine warming up temp, would be fixed by bumping the idle by 100RPM, but it hasn't done it since.

TB sync is the next thing on my maintenance list.  Once it's done, I'll have to experiment with lowering the idle (assuming I make an adjustment).

though mine never stalled ... it did stumble when i got out of the gas and pulled the cltuch in after i lowered the idle.
after reading this i put the idle back up to 1100 and it hasnt acted up since.

so happy ya'll share the info of your experiences.