• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

enough is enough.... really... progressive insurance ad with Flo

MAN OF BLUES

I think we as a group should start sending letters to Progressive insurance....

Just got my AMA Motorcyle mag....
Get to page 11.... and see Flo, standing on the back of a bike, no helmet.... in a reflection, with the caption
"We go where you go...""

This is insane.

I have seen other ads from them, with her, sans helmet, in similar situations...
Simply irresponsible advertizing...
I'm sending off a scathing letter to AMA right now

What the heck, might as well ruin your day

$800K a year for being a TV dip---t.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/stephanie-courtney-net-worth/

I've gotten so I can't watch TV with commercials. The medicine ones are the worst. I want to watch a show, not decide whether to trade arth-aritis for leukemia. My favorite tag line -- "Don't take [medicine XYZ] if you are allergic to [medicine XYZ]
Geez- glad they made that clear. I was headed down to the pharmacy to get a case of my favorite I'm allergic to that type of medicine. Like the silica gel packs with "don't eat this" on them. Damn, but they look so frikkin tasty.

The purpose of television is not to entertain you, but to draw your attention to advertising paid for by sponsors who want to make money. Has been since the beginning.

I can't get particularly fired up about a helmet-less Flo.  I can't see her influencing anyone to wear a helmet or not.  She's just not that cool.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with the irritation value of commercials.  I DVR everything; haven't listened to Flo (or any other crap) in years.

I like Flo and my bio-rhythms are much better when TV has commercials.
I need time to make snacks & use the toilet.
I gave up Progressive insurance when I decided I needed coverage for my body along with my bike.  They wouldn't write that kind of policy at the time and I had just heard that some health care coverage was being denied for some bike accidents.
They did insure my first bike cheap, though, at the time the only thing I was counting.

I always thought that if a company puts that much money into advertising; that's money not going towards customer benefits, claims. Amazing how much money is being spent once you start to count Flo, the lizard, sorry; gecko, your friends at Amica and a few more. And certain states won't allow coverage for the passenger if they are your spouse so that's why I always bring the girlfriend.

Solomookie said:
I can't get particularly fired up about a helmet-less Flo.  I can't see her influencing anyone to wear a helmet or not.  She's just not that cool.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with the irritation value of commercials.  I DVR everything; haven't listened to Flo (or any other crap) in years.

I guess the point I was making is missed, because most of the posts in response are from people that have not seen the exact ad I am talking about...

Its in the AMA Amaerican Motorcyclist magazine I just got... pag 11.... full page...

I don't think you get it, you won't see helmetless Flo on a TV ad... ain't gonna happen, because Progressive is just smart enough not to broadcast it to general population..
What they have done is place this ad in a publication received by the bike community, which seems to be devided on helmet/no helmet, personal choice, which we all are free to make... that part is fine, not my complaint.... just the simple fact they had her STANDING up on the rear pegs, in a reflection, and touting a claim thye follow you wherever....
Kids today do dumb enough things, just like what was pictured, they don't need more visual coercion to do dumber things...

2 other ads in the past year have similar themes, one has her in a precarious position reflected on a shiny traler adjacent, on a freeway, and one has her reflected off a puddle on a cobblestone road, hanging of the side of the bike.... all in all, these are just feeding them.

Sorry if my comments, don't make sense, but if you saw all 3 ads, I think it could be agreed upon it wasn't "wise choice"...

As I say, you won't see them on TV.....

I saw that ad and thought the same thing - didn't really promote safe motorcycling.  Not to mention the rider of the sport bike in the ad was in the tuck position and they made it appear that they were travelling at a high rate of speed.  The only thing missing was the front wheel in the air!  I would expect something a little tamer from an insurance company.

You guys! They aren't promoting safe motorcycling; they are promoting the sale of motorcycle insurance. It's to get attention, which it did. Check out YouTube fail compilations. Flo's ad antics aren't influencing youth stupidity and ignorance one bit. Get over yourselves. Or start writing letters.

DaddyFlip said:
You guys! They aren't promoting safe motorcycling; they are promoting the sale of motorcycle insurance. It's to get attention, which it did. Check out YouTube fail compilations. Flo's ad antics aren't influencing youth stupidity and ignorance one bit. Get over yourselves. Or start writing letters.

really? :-[ ::)

if I wasn't married to a former attorney,  and simply had a nice azzed young chicky that rode biotch, whom spent all my money like they all do, I'd be tempted to show the ad to her, and say " lets go do this".... and I'll make you famous on YouTube... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-X

and yes, they are promoting insurance, and showing something totally ridiculous... so if someone dies, is injured, etc... do you think they will cover it?
Meh, they will just say "it was an ad, we don't condone it...."
but in a court of law, I think it would be a big mistake....

hey, play Black Sabbath at 78rpm, backwards, and let your kid listen to it... then tell him to NEVER share it with any other kids...
and when history repeats, well...
d
Darwin had it right. :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

On my list of things to be worried or concerned with, the Flo ads are way off the bottom.  I couldn't care less whether or not she wears a helmet, too close to a PC thing.

I find this whole conversation just plain silly!  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Ok, I'm looping at the April 2015 issue because when I cleaned off my desk recently I didn't go that deep, and on page 13 there's the overhead shot of the cruiser on cobblestones, rear wheel in a puddle for the reflection, helmetless Flo in the puddle but obviously not on the passenger seat.
Based on the wake in the puddle he's doing a good 5 mph.  The speedo says 15, ok, traction issue but no water spinning off the tire?  With his handlebars cocked to the right he better be planning a sharp left turn or things are going to go bad.  But maybe he's doing a wheelie?
Helmetless Flo seems to have caused torso-less rider, too, unless he's got his face ... um, never mind.
Anyway I think it's supposed to remind you of the "walking with Jesus" story although since I heard a preacher at a friend's funeral saying he'd been walking with Jesus a lot before he died the phrase has taken on new meaning for me.  For now I think if you've been "Riding with Flo" you might need to dial it back a little.

Bob H said:
On my list of things to be worried or concerned with, the Flo ads are way off the bottom.  I couldn't care less whether or not she wears a helmet, too close to a PC thing.

I find this whole conversation just plain silly!  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

What ever you say Bob...

I said it isn't the helmet thing that is offensive, its the blatent disregard of sanity, when attempting to sell insurance....

Here,
Enjoy....

flo-1.jpg

There are some chicks on YouTube who can pull off that stunt quite well, with and without helmets. I saw one where a guy had one behind and one in front facing him, he's riding wheelie for a long way, and they are playing bucking bronco, hamming it up for the camera following them.

I guarantee you they never saw your ad. Yes... really. It's a non-issue.

What about Allstate's Mayhem, or the AFLAC duck, or Farmers? Ads, both print and TV, are meant to be sensational to get your attention. Flo is tame compared to some. And this IS silly.

MAN OF BLUES said:

Now that I've seen the picture...  This really is a tempest in a teacup.  It's a reflection; she's supposed to be like your guardian angel.  The real guy is riding in full ATGATT, by himself.  He passes a window, and you see that Flo (meaning Progressive) is always with you.  Perhaps she's perched on the back instead of flying because she's not fast enough.

I know my guardian angel is plenty fast; she has always kept up with me.  :great:

1warlock said:
I banned progressive insurance from my purchases many years ago because of George Soros political philosophy >:D

Old news. Peter Lewis, the son of the company co-founder, was the CEO of Progressive from 1965 to 2000, and after that date was no longer an executive with the company or had any involvement with the day-to-day operations.

His various associations and donations that you object to were made after that date. While he was CEO, he donated $50mil to the Guggenheim Museum. But that was his money, not the company's. Maybe you don't like the Guggenheim?

If you don't like Progressive, I suggest you find a new reason.  ::)

It was Flo's drunk uncle that coined the phrase..."Hold my beer and watch this."

Attachments

• flosdrunkuncle.jpg
    flosdrunkuncle.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 134
JPavlis_CA said:
1warlock said:
I banned progressive insurance from my purchases many years ago because of George Soros political philosophy >:D

Old news. Peter Lewis, the son of the company co-founder, was the CEO of Progressive from 1965 to 2000, and after that date was no longer an executive with the company or had any involvement with the day-to-day operations.

His various associations and donations that you object to were made after that date. While he was CEO, he donated $50mil to the Guggenheim Museum. But that was his money, not the company's. Maybe you don't like the Guggenheim?

Nope, no problem with Guggenheim Museum, will take another look at Progressive and new considerations :truce:

If you don't like Progressive, I suggest you find a new reason.  ::)

I'm guessing M.O.B. doesn't watch much TV since he's not enraged by this:

https://youtu.be/JqJVshE9HYw

Then again, the guy is wearing a helmet.

Tour1 said:
I'm guessing M.O.B. doesn't watch much TV since he's not enraged by this:

https://youtu.be/JqJVshE9HYw

Then again, the guy is wearing a helmet.

Nah... no skin off my ATGATT wearing azz...
Saw the ad a week or so back, and thought.... "what a bunch of morons.... let's do stupid crap, film it on our new phone, and post it on the web.... and then, use it in a dumbmercial...on tv....."
Its a google ad....not an INSURANCE company ad....
Even tho its legal in Ohio to ride with no "gear" or no helmet.... if you get hurt, or die, I just wonder how Flo's sponsers will stand up and pay out big bucks.. for stupidity.... or just riding "legally" per the laws...

Hey, Art Linkletter's kid took acid and jumped out a window.... someones kid listened to Ozzy/Black sabbath at 78 backwards, and killed the neighbors...
As some others did saying the neighhors dog told them to "kill someone"... 666.... satan, satan... satan....
:truce: :-[ :-[

Ride safe.  And watch all the Jackazz movies, they are funny... :beerchug: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Com on guys, look again, I think she is wearing a full-face helmet. It's just got a clown face painted on it. :D

Just got this pic in an e-mail from J&P Cycles.
They took the photo in England, maybe, or in the USA but reversed the negative?

Attachments

• JandP.jpg
    JandP.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 142
I fixed it...
If you zoom in the first rider has a hand off the clutch in the backwards photo, far more likely than having a hand off the throttle while going wide over the double-yellow in the first one.  Unless those English bikes have the clutch & throttle reversed to9o.

Attachments

• JandP2.jpg
    JandP2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 122
Yeah, it's a reflection in a shop window, but they can't show Flo and her Progressive logo on her togs if she was seated... I agree with MOB, they could have worked a better rider safety angle by having her seated and maybe put the Prog logo on the pant leg or something... not freaking stunting.

One thing Flo does not possess is a nice azz... :D

Good for Flo. Not ever going to use their insurance but I like their commercials. LOL.  My take on those adds is she's not actually on the back, it's just her there in sprit LOL or in support. What ever. I like adds and commercials with her. Good entertainment. You do notice that lots of the commercials are better than the shows your watching don't you?