• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ever come into fast? This guy did and lived to tell the tail.

I have felt that feeling.  The more you try to tell yourself lean and try to make it the more your body wants to stiffen up.  It sends you in a straight line to NOT GOOD.  Glad he made it out of that one.

The toughest thing for people to learn is look where you want to go and trust the bike. It will hold. Keep your feet on the pegs.

Yes it looks like he has his foot down trying to dirt bike it before he even crosses the center line. 

I am not sure I might have given up on the turn also if I was across the line enough and saw the SUV coming though.  The cliff may be better than a head on.  He looks to have given up before that point though.

Hi,
      Thanks, good lesson and one that probably needs to be reinforced in the old cabeza! (my case anyway!) ;D

I've blown some right hand curves (crossed centerline!) but....

Try real hard not to.... :-[

Law of averages (especially in Florida!).... :-X

Not really on your side!!! :(

Attachments

• tumblr_om10ny93is1v1gz89o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_om10ny93is1v1gz89o1_500.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 135
Not to be too critical, but that isnt that harsh a curve.  two words on practicing fast-paced riding:

TRACK DAYS

they teach you that your bike can take corners a lot faster than you think, and you get to practice turning, fast, slow, panic'd, under control...to learn both the limits of your bike and of your riding.

im not sure if it was the turn that scared him, singularly, into putting a foot down and giving up on turning, or maybe it was the sight of the oncoming car, as he was trying to look through the turn, that might have done it.  Similar to when we see a guy on a racetrack see the guy in front of him go down, and instead of continuing thru the turn, he gives up because his concentration has been broken, so he follows the down'd rider into and off of the track.  In this case, its possible he was watching the rider in front of him, and all of a sudden his vision is filled with the grill of the oncoming car, and all you need at that point is a half second of broken concentration to cause you to stiffen...

just my 2 cents...

I don't think he ever saw that oncoming car until he was already committed to crashing.  This was a fairly typical crash on someone who was exceeding their ability/experience. Would track experience help? Of course, but so would parking lot training like an MSF Advanced Rider Course or Lee Parks Total Control. Not everyone has convenient/affordable access to track experience.