• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Everything was going really great.........

byekryam

Bicycle
It was my first day on the bike (I test drove it for about 10 mins prior to buying it from the previous owner, but this was first full day). 

I left this morning in 28 degree weather and have to say I was really impressed how she kept the wind off me and I have to say I was pretty comfortable.  Got to work uneventfully.  Still have to get used to her as she's a different animal then my Venture, but feel very comfortable with her.  I get the feel she's happiest around 3200 - 3500 RPM for my driving style.  She's definitely a nimble little bike.

Anyway, after work, headed out to meet the fam for turkey dinner.  That went really well, but upon leaving I was sideways on a steep driveway and was pulling out when a car came around the corner and refused to yield.  I stopped abruptly and the weight just got away from me and there was nooooo keeping her up.  She went over and I smashed my leg on the opposite side somehow.

I can't understand, she doesn't feel that heavy, and she's about 150 - 200 lbs lighter then my previous bike, but I couldn't hold her up.

Pissed is an understatement of the year!

The damage isn't as bad as I was expecting, but it still hurts as she's brand new to me.  (pictures below)  he bike shut off and I had to wait a while before re-starting her.  The low pressure warning alert went on, even though the front tire seemed fine, and took a great while before it went back off.

Is there anything I should check to make sure I didn't miss any other potential damage?  What is the usual damage as a result of the bike going over?

How hard is it to repair these?  Have to totally repaint sections?  Touch up paint?

Canyon cages were high on my list, but didn't get a chance to get them yet.....

Thanks,
Wood

Attachments

• drop1.jpg
    drop1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 156
  • drop3.jpg
    drop3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 163
  • drop4.jpg
    drop4.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 166
Know the feeling woody_nj it sucks. Mine was 2 weeks old with less than 1k miles. Earned my CDA# in a similar situation on a sloped driveway, however i was coming down off center stand. In the moment as she was falling i felt like i had no strength and was thinking to myself. "NO this is not happening!! Are you serious?!"  :mad: Kept telling myself to "lift you weak bastard" My mistake was letting the lean angle get to far prior to my reaction, ???  after a certain point I NOW know there will be no catching her. Fortunately my failed attempt to return her upright was enough to reduce the damage which is what it looks like you had done by the looks of the scratches.

My bike has scares in almost exact locations your photos show. Minor scratches dont really bother me much, so no touch up paint for me. I was so excited that none of the Tupperware was cracked or broken.

After I got her upright I sat there and pouted like a little kid and verbally abusing myself for about 10 minutes. Did a quick look over for damage and tried to start it. She fired right up like it never happened. All is good.  :great:  :motonoises:

llmotoll,

Sounds like you were sitting there watching me, exact same scenario minus the center stand.

I will give her a once over again today to make sure I didn't miss any damage last night in the dark, but canyon cages are definitely been moved up on the "To Do" list.

Seeing a post somewhere else in here, it looks like there's an automatic shut off on the bike (sort of a safety) in case it goes over to probably keep the gas from coming out and starting a fire.  I'm guessing that was my issue because trying to remember back, I did shut it off and then turn it back on which helped me get her going.  I'm still confused about the "low tire" sensor, but maybe that is something that gets strewed if it goes sideways.  It did correct itself.

Thanks for sharing.

Wood

That sucks for sure.  Glad you weren't hurt.

Being so new to the C14 you probably didn't know that the most dangerous situation for a tip over is when standing still or going less then 3 mph.
The bike is nimble - but only at speed.  A tip as little as 10°-15° is about the limit for most people - more then that and it's going over unless your a Superman.
Top heavy is what this bike is.  Of all the bikes I have had this one is the most top heavy by a long shot.

IF you are going to ride all year I wouldn't fix the damage now as there is a good chance you may drop it again. JMO as black ice and cold tires are not a good combination on a vehicle you have to balance, both of which you might encounter this winter at some time.
The only exception to this might be if insurance is going to take care of it.  Then you might not want to wait.

+100 on the Canyon Cages.  Do those ASAP even with the damaged parts on.  Again just my opinion.

I doubt that there is anything else wrong with the bike.
Cold temps can effect the TPMS batteries and that seems normal.  However if they have never been changed it might be the start of the end for those batteries.

Silver,

Yes, a valuable lesson about this bike I will never forget.

Yeah, in 30 years the only time I've ever gone down on the road was on black ice, fortunately it was at low speed going around a corner.  I was on my wife's old ninja and hit some black ice.  Before I knew it, I was on my back.  Luckily a couple of lite bruises, but that's all.  I am extremely vigilant about watching out for this ever since.  I usually don't go out if there's any chance of ice.  But will be extra vigilant now knowing.

I will have to research these batteries you mention, don't remember reading about them.

Thanks,
Wood

Just a side note, I went to pick up my cold weather suit today at a dealer, and lo and behold there were two used Connie 14's there on site.  Both had identical scratches to mine where they had gone down.....  This bike really does have a reputation for falls.......

Absolutely critical to keep the bike vertical when it's at or near stopped, or during parking, this must be your primary focus. I had a parking incident where a boot slipped and the weight pitched over, and all I could do was bail. Scroll down the forum for the video.

Another thing *not* to do, is stop the bike when you don't have it fully squared up. Sounds like this is what happened to you?

These bikes are so agile at low speeds, they can lull you into a false sense of security, but the top heaviness is always there.  Never stop a Connie unless it's squared up.

Glad you came out ok, did the bike fall on your leg?

woody_nj said:
Silver,

Yes, a valuable lesson about this bike I will never forget.

Yeah, in 30 years the only time I've ever gone down on the road was on black ice, fortunately it was at low speed going around a corner.  I was on my wife's old ninja and hit some black ice.  Before I knew it, I was on my back.  Luckily a couple of lite bruises, but that's all.  I am extremely vigilant about watching out for this ever since.  I usually don't go out if there's any chance of ice.  But will be extra vigilant now knowing.

I will have to research these batteries you mention, don't remember reading about them.

Thanks,
Wood

Well if that's true ^^^ then anytime the temp is less then 32° there is a chance of ice.  The problem with Black Ice is you can't see it, and
that's why it's so dangerous.  The problem with this bike (I think you know now) is how top heavy it is.  If you come to a stop and put your foot down on
an icy spot the bike could go down.  I'm not trying to scare you I just haven't figured out if you want to ride year round to save money or if you only have one 4 wheel vehicle and the wife needs it, so you ride so she can have it OR if it's just for the love of the ride.

I ride my bikes all summer long and rarely drive a 4 wheel vehicle unless I'm towing somewhere.  But it reverses in winter.

I put my bike away 3 days ago and I hate that - but I'm not willing to ride in temps as cold as you ride in.

I know (assume) that where you are, the Sea breeze keeps you from getting as cold as we do here in MI and we average around 100" of snow too.
Last Nov. we had 31 inches by this time.  Not much snow so far (some yes) this year but I've only seen 2 or 3 green Christmas' here and I doubt we will see one this year.

Thud,

Yes, that is exactly what happened, I tried stopping sort of at an angle, but on an incline as well.  Tried eveerything I could to hold her up, and eased her down as gently as I could, but it was a loosing battle.  Funny thing was is that the leg I smashed was on the opposite side of the bike that went down.  How it happened I still have no idea, as it happened so fast, but I got it good on something.......

Silver,

It's for the "love of riding".  I do understand the risks, and as I said I have been lucky so far.  If it's questionable I don't go out.  But if it's dry and no weather predicted, there I go.....  I also always give a shout out to the Big Man upstairs too  :eek:)

woody_nj said:
It's for the "love of riding".  I do understand the risks, and as I said I have been lucky so far.  If it's questionable I don't go out.  But if it's dry and no weather predicted, there I go.....  I also always give a shout out to the Big Man upstairs too  :eek:)

Right there with ya, man...  ;D

Had an incident today, was leaving the local Casey's after a pit stop, was starting to leave the lot and make a left when a speeding car came up from my right suddenly as it climbed out of a valley. I had to stop NOW, and it's a damn good thing I was still square and hadn't started my turn, or the bike would have probably gone down.

This was a neat pic I found, explains a lot why this machine is so darn top heavy.  All the weight is centered in one spot and taller then wide.  There really isn't much more to this bike then engine....

Wood

Attachments

• kawie.jpg
    kawie.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 128
woody_nj said:
Silver,

Well I guess that's all that is necessary ^^^.

If you lived were I do, you would not ride in the Winter time at all.  No one rides here in Dec, Jan, Feb and most of March, most years.

Guess you don't get much snow where you live - lucky you.