• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Exhaust question

mtn-connie

Tricycle
I am looking at an 08 Connie that has a full dual Two Brothers system on it. I am told that it is fairly loud. Without hearing it what does "fairly" mean and if it too loud for my liking what are the options to quiet it down a bit? Also, the center stand has been removed. Is it possible to even have a CS with this system?
If I do not like it, I wonder how difficult it would be to trade someone for the OEM exhaust?

I've got a carbon TBR slip-on and it's not loud, IMO. It can be if you get on it and wind it out but the Micron on my CBR1000RR is much louder.

I'm not sure if the two brothers allows for the center stand or not, since I'm not familiar with the duals. But Muzzy has a center stand option. Like doing the ZX14 exhaust mod. The center stand needs to be modified to be used. Muzzy sells center stands (I think with a core trade it).
Your options IMO are to go to a Area P system (which is probably the quietest systems for the C14. Or to buy a used OEM system and put it back to stock. I personally do not like buying bikes like this. If it has been changed, I want the original parts also if I want it normal.
I save any and all OEM parts when I change my bikes just for this reason. A lot of people do not want a modified bike. I think your almost always better off to put it back to stock before selling. Unless of course you know a buyer who wants it that way.

Exhaust "note" opinions are so subjective.  I dont think TBR's are too loud necessarily, just too loud for the Connie and what I want to use it for.  I heard TBR duals on a ST1300 last weekend and i personally thought they were too loud for me.  But that guy might not like to take long rides like i do.  He may just like to be-bop around town.  If thats what i liked to do or if i had a sport bike, i would have a TBR in a heartbeat.  But i want something with a nice "at idle" growl and then pretty much goes away at speed.  For me, the AreaP does this.  For others, it might not. 

Also, you may want to find out if the cans have the "quiet inserts" installed in them.  These are sold seperately from what i understand and i believe knock 3-5 decibels off of the sound. 

Have Fun, Good Luck!!

For the Connie there isn't a two bros dual system. I made one for my 08 with sx headers and midpipes and the had to weld the collar for the tbr cans on. The centerstand will fit with this setup if modified in either moving the foot that you use to leverage it up or by lowering the stop for the centerstand. If you lower the stop the centerstand can make contact during aggressive lean angles. Adjusting the angle of the foot is the best way to go. I liked the sound of my system but my wife hated it. It was pretty loud at idle but I never got annoyed with it on trips or anything.