• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Exhaust Question

DocPigskin

Training Wheels
I know this is maybe a redundant post, but here it goes anyways.  Can someone tell me what would happen if I added a full exhaust system without doing anything else to the bike except for maybe an ECU reflash?  Is it true my bike would spontaneously combust?
I would like to add a full system but don't really have the funds to go all out (PCV, air filter, autotune,ect...) so thinking slip-on is the way to go but have the chance to buy a full system at a discount price and wouldn't want to pass it up if it would still work with the bike.
thanks

as far as i know, a reflash or pcm is all you need. when i bought my two bro's slip on, they recommended the juice box along with it. on all the research i have come across that should be sufficient with a full replacement system. (although I'm not a mechanic)

is the system your getting a dual setup or single? IMO the dual looks more better, but i cant afford it, and it would draw too much attention from my brothers in blue!! hahha  :p

A reflash with the correct maps is functionally identical to adding a Pwr Cmdr with its on map.  A reflash will be more reliable; it doesn't have the add-on box.  A good map will not need an Autotune, so save your money on that. 

Kawasaki's tend to be very rich at WOT, so the engine will not burn down with just an exhaust system added, but it may be very lean at part throttle and mid RPM.  Remapping the ECU will get more power all through the RPM range.  Mine got 16 more HP on top. 

I wouldn't add a full system without making some adjustment to the fuel mapping. You can get away with just a slip-on can without a PC. But IMO, a full system is going to make the bike run too lean without something like a PC.

DocPigskin said:
I know this is maybe a redundant post, but here it goes anyways.  Can someone tell me what would happen if I added a full exhaust system without doing anything else to the bike except for maybe an ECU reflash?  Is it true my bike would spontaneously combust?
I would like to add a full system but don't really have the funds to go all out (PCV, air filter, autotune,ect...) so thinking slip-on is the way to go but have the chance to buy a full system at a discount price and wouldn't want to pass it up if it would still work with the bike.
thanks