• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Eye Glasses in a full face

OMoaC

Has anyone seen or heard of a solution for glasses in a full face? Years ago there was a guy made prescription inserts for goggles and the military make inserts for gas masks. Besides contacts or lasik any solutions? This is truly a PITA. :)

One of the reasons I switched to modular.  I can put it on and remove it without dislodging my glasses if I'm carefull.

Straight temple pieces will generally allow you to put the glasses on through the faceshield hole.  And as OSF mentioned, a modular helmet works pretty well.

I went the other way and have been wearing half-helmets that fit my glasses all along.

I tried on a few helmets to make sure my glasses are comfortable when the helmet is on.

I ended up with a Shoei RF1100.  There is absolutely NO discomfort at all.  Kinda forget
they're on.  My modular (GMAX 54) fit glasses well, but it's a PITA to get them in right.
I guess you get what you pay for, eh?  I've had scuba goggles with script lenses, never
a helmet though.

Looking at the modulars. Like 'em plus I don't have to take off the helmet to smoke a cig ( I'm a sinner in more ways than one) :). Seems like all the new models have the fighter pilot drop down lenses though. Not a fan of that yet. Any interference with the drop downs and glasses?

Mcfly said:
I tried on a few helmets to make sure my glasses are comfortable when the helmet is on.

I ended up with a Shoei RF1100.  There is absolutely NO discomfort at all.  Kinda forget
they're on.  My modular (GMAX 54) fit glasses well, but it's a PITA to get them in right.
I guess you get what you pay for, eh?  I've had scuba goggles with script lenses, never
a helmet though.
Not much discomfort when riding but, put on helmet, stuff in glasses, adjust glasses for vision. Sheesh, getting old sucks. Then if you forget to pull your glasses when you peel your helmet off ouch. My counterweight was laghing her a** off watching me dance with a half on half off helmet and my glasses scewed like I just went a round with Mike Tyson. Scuba masks too. Forgot about those.

I have a scorpion exo-900 modular with the shades, no problems with my sunglasses under the helmet or shades for better afternoon rides toward the sun.

Try prescription sport goggles.  They strap on, sit much closer to your face, and
you look like a psychopath with them on while standing in line at a 7-11  :D

You may even get your helmet off without involuntary cosmetic surgery to your face.

Helmet on
Glasses on
Gloves on

Gloves off
Glasses off
Helmet off

Just don't stray from the procedures

I've worn glasses most of my life, always had full face helmets. I don't have problems, could you be more specific?  What problems do you have with scuba masks? I'm an instructor and cavediver (the screen name) this subject I know.

Jack

My HJC Cymax has the shade and it will contact my glasses when deployed.  Not uncomfortably though.
I ride with sheild up and the shade down a lot.

@Cdiver. Open water myself but haven't dove (dived?) since I started wearing glasses. I don't have a comfort issue once I have the bad boy's seated but the install/removal is just a PITA. Only been forced to wear glasses for about a year so guess it's just something I'll have to get used to (follow the above drill). Just wondering if anyone in the MC community has come up with a solution ala' dive mask's, gas masks, goggles. Anyone know an eye doc? May be a market for it. I'll get in line! Sport goggles may be an option. Alway's liked the Kareem look. Plus the nut case vibe sometimes gets you cutsies in line :beerchug:

Straight template glasses fit fine in my Shoei X-11.

In fact I always wear a pair of safety sunglasses with cheaters in them behind a clear faceshield and carry a spare pair of clear cheaters. This way my eyes are alway protected even with the faceshield up.

I have almost always worn glasses an don't have any issues with my Nolan or Bilt modular helmets.

I use a Scorpion EXO-400, no issues with glasses. Just take off the glasses, first, before donning or removing the helmet.

Mcfly said:

a helmet though.

1+
Exactly what I've got.

I wear a Shoei RF 1000 and I've worn a dozen or so different glasses without problems.  I also ride with the faceshield up almost always, and so I use impact-resistant safety glasses, either clear at night or tinted for daytime, sometimes I wear Smith Moab sport glasses or others.  Since I had cataract surgery three years ago, I don't need prescriptions anymore.  As others have said, the key is somethign with flat smooth earpieces.

I have an RF1100 too, no problem with my glasses. My prescription sunglasses are a little more difficult to get on because the earpieces are thicker and they bend more to go around the ear, but once on, they are fine. The only other FF I have used is an HJC CL-SP, that was no problem either. My other helmet I was using was an HJC Symax2.