• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Factory shock rebuild.

shrekster

Training Wheels
Hi,
Is it possible to buy spares to rebuild the standard rear shock? Mine is leaking and the bike is now very bouncy at the rear, this would indicate it has lost some or all of it's oil.
Are there any suppliers that sell a replacement seal kit?
I realise that an aftermarket shock would be better but I'd like to keep the bike as standard as possible.

Regards,

Jim.

I have not read anything about rebuilding the factory shock. I will bet
you can fine one from someone here on the forum. If you do you can
always get Murph's oil replacement kit and change the oil.

If you are determined to fix your factory shock, try one of these, or make your own:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Motion-Pro-080356/1237253777?iid=390579426324&chn=ps

Several years ago the rear shock on my '88 started leaking. I used a piece cut from a plastic milk jug to clean the seal lip.  Been completely leak free for probably 10 years now.

Cut a piece of milk jug or other thin soft plastic about 1/8" to 1/4" wide at one end, wide enough to grip on the other end.  Insert the small end between the seal and the metal surface of the shock.  Wipe all the way around the shock a couple of times, pulling the thin end out as you go to wipe out any dust or other crud that may be holding the seal away from the metal body.

Cheap, easy, and although there's no guarantee, at least in my case, it saved the shock.

Still not a bad idea to replace it with a better aftermarket one!  ;D

Sorry, I threw my stock one out. I didnt think anyone would actually want one of those things..
Aftermarket is so much better. When new they were not to good to begin with.

I just had my factory shock rebuilt with RaceTech Gold Valves, re-sprung and a NTG bolt installed to make it serviceable. A guy out of Idaho did it for me. It works well.

antibus said:
I just had my factory shock rebuilt with RaceTech Gold Valves, re-sprung and a NTG bolt installed to make it serviceable. A guy out of Idaho did it for me. It works well.

Would that be Norwest?

It was by a guy named Jay, owner of Adventuredpowersports.uis and "sasquatch suspension??". He did a spectacular job on my Vstrom 2 years ago and after asking him about my concours we decided to give it a try. He has not worked on a concours before, and the suspension feels great (Just like my Vstrom) and I am very happy with the product.

antibus said:

How much did this service cost? Turn around time?

Good point. Mine was a 2012 C14. It cost $450 parts and labor. It took about 2 weeks because the wrong springs for the forks were initially shipped.

OOPS! I've just realised this post is in the wrong section. It should be in the C10 suspension section. Apologies for that.

Jim.

Daytona_Mike said:
Why rebuild a  crappy shock when for less money you get a really good (valved shock- not an emulsion tube shock)  AND a new heavier spring.
  The stock  C10  (shock and spring) AND the C14 (shock )are cr@p. If your putting a C14 shock on a C10 the spring will be too soft and your sag too great.
The product below is for a C10:
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_97&products_id=85&osCsid=WvVjkHtEHnqAhTljPJxTK2
I did this along with new progressive springs up front Straight out of the box The Mule rides/handles better than it has in years

Yup, OEM shock is not worth it.
Plenty of aftermarket options out there, plus a used ZZR1200 or used C14 can be adapted to fit the C10.
Mine has the ZZR shock and it copes with my vastness admirably. :)

The ZZR shock is a 'good' upgrade for the price, but it is much better with a spring upgrade also. Stock rate is ~725lb/in. I was running an 800 but it was stiff for my 175 and luggage. Will be trying a 750 soon.

Another vote for the Progressive 465 rear shock.  With that and Race Tech fork springs and emulators, my C-10 handles wayyyyy better than stock.

worncog said:
The ZZR shock is a 'good' upgrade for the price, but it is much better with a spring upgrade also. Stock rate is ~725lb/in. I was running an 800 but it was stiff for my 175 and luggage. Will be trying a 750 soon.

I have a ZZR1200 shock adjuster on a ZX-9 shock, so I could get adjustable damping and hydraulic preload adjustment too. I need a stiffer spring, what do you think about the spring rate for the C-10 with this setup? 750 lb/in isn't how they sell springs, they do it in Kg's. What would this equate to in Kg's? I have a set of Sonic fork springs on the way 1.1 Kg. so I am thinking about re-springing the rear now.
Anyone know what the spring rate should be for the C-10 rear using this setup? Thanks!
Charlie

Yamahawk said:
worncog said:

I have a ZZR1200 shock adjuster on a ZX-9 shock, so I could get adjustable damping and hydraulic preload adjustment too. I need a stiffer spring, what do you think about the spring rate for the C-10 with this setup? 750 lb/in isn't how they sell springs, they do it in Kg's. What would this equate to in Kg's? I have a set of Sonic fork springs on the way 1.1 Kg. so I am thinking about re-springing the rear now.
Anyone know what the spring rate should be for the C-10 rear using this setup? Thanks!
Charlie

Sorry for the delay, I was riding to Alaska. Anyhow. I do agree that the typical measure is in Kg/mm, but the Eibach springs do come in lb/in ratings, as I have a 800 installed and now a 750 sitting on the bench waiting to be installed, specifically the 0800.225.0750. I don't claim to be an expert, but these are the springs I have used on both my C10 and Super Tenere.  YMMVhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJGVMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 800 is a bit stiff without any load and I believe is overriding the rebound damping of the ZZR1200 shock. I think the 750 will be a better fit for me.

Steiny said:
http://daughertymotorsports.com/

Call Daugherty Motorsports ,  He can rebuild them .

He rebuilt and re sprung mine

+1 on Jamie Daugherty, he is a great fellow and knows his business. I had talked to him about the stock shock, and my ZZR1200/ZX9 hybrid. He said no problem on either of them. Essentially, the ZX9 shock body is all he will re-use, and the guts will all be changed out. On the stock shock, pretty much the same, different valving, and new spring. It won't be as good as an aftermarket, but way better than when it was stock. Now, the ZX9 hybrid, WILL be WAY better than stock, and comparable to a high end aftermarket ($$$) shock. HE said he could lengthen it with a new shaft also. if needed.
Charlie

Just a wee update, I decided to go with a Wilbers rear shock. German made, all in house manufacture, very high quality, way too nice to hide away under the bike! I opted for their mid spec unit with a single adjuster that controls both the rebound and compression damping.

I emailed them 'my' spec, i.e. my weight and riding style, waited about 3 weeks for it to arrive as they are made to order.

I've covered about 1500 miles so far and my initial impression is, it's fantastic, perfect spring rate for my weight and the damping adjuster allows me to soften the rear end a little when touring on the bumpy back roads we have here in the more rural areas of Scotland. When on normal roads I can turn the adjuster back to standard and ride the bike at higher speeds in comfort.

I just need to look at doing something with the front end now.

Here's a link to the model of shock I bought- https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Kawasaki/GTR-1000-ZGT00A-wilbers-19/shock-absorber-type-640-Road.html?manufacturer=tp0b6613ff139775672bedb42c6eadbd&year=1994&catname=50c38707c61f0f1172a38063e002187e

Slange

Jim.